Moparts

Gas tank options

Posted By: gremlinsteve

Gas tank options - 08/01/22 03:22 AM

Anyone used a mustang tank on a 73-81 style d100?
I’m fighting some old varnish I can’t seem to get cleaned out of
My stock saddle tank

So I’m just about ready to just install a new mustang tank behind the rear axle

I know they can fit the older 64-72 models.
Posted By: ruderunner

Re: Gas tank options - 08/01/22 11:07 PM

Never did it but do know the mustang sender should work with your original gauge. Same ohm scale.

Mustang tank is rear fill, might be a problem loading the bed with a filler neck in the middle.
Posted By: Hugh Jorgan

Re: Gas tank options - 08/02/22 01:07 AM

A radiator shop (yes, just about all of them are gone now) can't boil the original tank out? shruggy

Re: Gas tank options - 08/02/22 01:53 AM

I’m using simple green and purple stuff. Concentrated and not diluted. Trying to clean it out

The tank is plastic. And here is the brand new gas I had just added to it

It’s bad

Attached picture 54A47003-C427-482A-980D-0E084DA95E66.jpeg
Posted By: hulmule

Re: Gas tank options - 08/02/22 02:02 AM

Dang need to do my Lil Red, was figuring simple gree and hot water. I know in metal tank MEK cleans them !! Not sure what it would do for a plastic. Have an extra gas tank , split on corner, wonder how i can patch?

Re: Gas tank options - 08/02/22 02:07 AM

I have a local shop that can do steel tanks. But since this one is plastic I’m stuck fix in it myself

Plus there rather exspensive these days. My gremlin tank is steel so I had the clean it out. Then they coated the inside and outside with a rubber like coating to preserve the tank

Cost 400 bucks
Posted By: Fat_Mike

Re: Gas tank options - 08/02/22 03:28 PM

Hopefully member Scratchinfotraction will chime in. I'm about 90% sure he put a Mustang tank in his.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Gas tank options - 08/02/22 03:36 PM

Have you tried the local quarter car wash to pressure wash the tank out?

Re: Gas tank options - 08/02/22 04:13 PM

Good idea
Posted By: moparx

Re: Gas tank options - 08/02/22 05:40 PM

the car wash works pretty good, but you almost need a buddy to help hold the tank in one place while you blast the insides clean.
the other patrons will get a good show as you chase the tank around the bay with the sprayer. biggrin
beer
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Gas tank options - 08/02/22 10:28 PM

Go down to Ace hardware or Home Depo and get the drain cleaner in the black plastic jug, pure lye, comes in its own plastic bag around it. Same thing in those other cleaners (Super Clean) but in lower concentrations. WEAR long gloves designed for this stuff, also glasses. Follow directions on jug. A friend worked in the meat department at A&P and when floor got to gummy from the cuttings he would get Draino and mop the floors. That stuff would eat up street shoes so he used his fishing boots, when done floor was spotless. Don’t get the ‘safe’ stuff, useless, has to say LYE. Also eats rust, paint, scum when put in vat. That's all furniture strippers use, WEAR protective gear!!
Posted By: mgoblue9798

Re: Gas tank options - 08/03/22 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by ruderunner
Never did it but do know the mustang sender should work with your original gauge. Same ohm scale.

Mustang tank is rear fill, might be a problem loading the bed with a filler neck in the middle.

Maybe a flip down tag bracket like some later 70's cars had?
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: Gas tank options - 08/03/22 12:36 PM

For cripes sake its just a dirty tank. Clean it and move on.

Re: Gas tank options - 08/04/22 12:46 AM

Simple green did the trick
Posted By: Twostick

Re: Gas tank options - 08/04/22 04:28 AM

Ramcharger tank is an option.

Kevin.
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: Gas tank options - 08/04/22 06:19 PM

I would do the RC tank now IF you can find one. If not, I agree Simple Green or White Vinegar and pressure wash. I've never tried the Lye etc.

Also, when you re-install, I would add some cushioning where the straps grab the tank the most. These were prone to cracking. That's how I lost mine but fortunately it's a dual tank truck so I'm just running off the in cab tank. Plus, I ran dual exhaust so removing the frame mounted one allowed me room to run the exhaust for the left side, which is a benefit of the RC tank too.

Re: Gas tank options - 08/04/22 06:58 PM

Do they repop the ram charger tank
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: Gas tank options - 08/04/22 08:40 PM

While the Ramcharger tank is possible it is not that easily done. There is a lot more needed that does not meet the eye. If you had a doner tank still in the Ramcharger you could get everything and you would also see what I mean. Plus you will have to figure out on how to fill it. I would fix what you got and run it.
Posted By: SattyNoCar

Re: Gas tank options - 08/04/22 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by NITROUSN
While the Ramcharger tank is possible it is not that easily done. There is a lot more needed that does not meet the eye. If you had a doner tank still in the Ramcharger you could get everything and you would also see what I mean. Plus you will have to figure out on how to fill it. I would fix what you got and run it.

It's not hard at all. Trickiest part is swapping out crossmembers. Tank fits in the area the spare would normally occupy. The Ramcharger fill neck points to the side, so you could 'move' the fill door back on the bedside, or just bring it up into the bed behind the wheel tub. The rest is just a matter of extending wire and hose.

I had a '76 Club Cab I swapped a 35 gal RC tank into. Used just basic hand tools. I did the swap because the original saddle tank had split near the fill. It put weight were it was needed and made running dual exhaust a snap. I ran the fill neck into the bed.

I still have the tank and straps if you're interested. You would just have to source the crossmembers.

The only possible issue I see with an RC tank in your truck is that your truck is lowered. The RC tank (especially the 35 gal one) does hang down some. You could get a rough idea how far down by holding a strap in place.
Posted By: topside

Re: Gas tank options - 08/05/22 04:21 PM

What about a '68-'70 B-body (except Charger) tank ?
The filler neck is pretty low, being at license plate height.
The filler neck location could also be tweaked to get the cap access higher if needed.
It would require some cleverness to mount the fore/aft tank straps, though.
Posted By: JP8

Re: Gas tank options - 08/07/22 01:55 PM

The mustang tak is almost made to be universal it seems. That's why I am going to use it. My plan is to get one with an EFI pump in-tank, put it between the reara most frame rail section for ballast, and use a "fill through cap" that is frenched flush with the bed floor.

Attached picture prd_lg_129.jpg
Attached picture prd_354.jpg
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Gas tank options - 08/07/22 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by JP8
The mustang tak is almost made to be universal it seems. That's why I am going to use it. My plan is to get one with an EFI pump in-tank, put it between the reara most frame rail section for ballast, and use a "fill through cap" that is frenched flush with the bed floor.

Kinda like the VW bug tanks
© 2024 Moparts Forums