Moparts

converting 85 D150 to an AC truck

Posted By: volaredon

converting 85 D150 to an AC truck - 09/27/21 11:22 PM

as title says.... have a question on dash pad.... do the factory "heat only" trucks have the place for teh AC vents "marked out" on the back sides where a guy could cut them out later and add them in if needed or am I gonna have to get a different dash for this thing?
I did get a plenum box out of an AC truck along with all the associated ductwork. The guy had already sold the dash itself and the control head so I still need a few things for the inside of the truck. just need to find out if a different dash itself is among what I still need or not.
Either way Id need the louvered vents that go within teh dash and a inst cluster bezel out of an AC equipped truck.

also does anyone sell replacement pre cut foam kits for these trucks, for the various plenum doors and such?
Posted By: trw1982

Re: converting 85 D150 to an AC truck - 09/28/21 01:08 AM

detroit muscle sells the foam kit but it does not include foam for the mode doors. the doors are not avail any more, so i went to the upholstery shop and got thin foam from there. cleaned doors and used headliner spray on doors them wrapped foam on them. 1 door has an extra large piece of foam on it for a stop. i just reused the thick part. kit is pricey but well worth it, imho.
Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: converting 85 D150 to an AC truck - 09/28/21 04:13 PM

For proper opperation you need a A/C dash. Or you need to do some custom vents. If not it will just blow teh cold air under the dash.
Posted By: volaredon

Re: converting 85 D150 to an AC truck - 09/28/21 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by W.I.N. racing
For proper opperation you need a A/C dash. Or you need to do some custom vents. If not it will just blow teh cold air under the dash.

I gotta take the dash out to swap out the plenum anyway, was hoping for some kind of marking on the backside where I could cut out the vents to fit in. The VIN is with the dash on these, and my dash is in real good shape so I wanted to retain it in the conversion if it would be possible
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: converting 85 D150 to an AC truck - 09/29/21 02:02 AM

You don't have to remove the dash to get the box in or out. The dash is not marked for the vents but when we added A/C to those trucks at the dealership we had templates on where to cut the dash for the vents. Those vents pop in and out. Just drilled the four corners then used a soldering gun with a flat blade tip to cut the dash.
© 2024 Moparts Forums