Moparts

Tailgate rubber bump stops

Posted By: larrymopar360

Tailgate rubber bump stops - 08/29/21 06:55 PM

I need two new ones for my '79 Power Wagon to stop the tailgate from rattling. Not the rubber hinge holders (which I find new on ebay and other places) but the round nickel sized grommets that shim between tailgate and bed to stop rattling. I can't find them anywhere. Source?

Thank you.
Larry
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Tailgate rubber bump stops - 08/30/21 02:10 PM

I was never able to find any.

what I used was a small piece of rubber type stuff I got from a glass repair shop. it goes between glass sheets when shipping on trucks. it is different sizes and easy to trim down and a dab of glue they stay put and stop the rattle.

until like my stepside it just gets so much rust their is no hope for a rattle free truck LOL!

might even try some of the stick on stuff that goes on table top furniture stop scratches. felt one side sticky tape other.

I check the old 82 bed out back and see if they are their and I can get them off in tact for you.

Re: Tailgate rubber bump stops - 08/31/21 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by scratchnfotraction
I was never able to find any.

what I used was a small piece of rubber type stuff I got from a glass repair shop. it goes between glass sheets when shipping on trucks. it is different sizes and easy to trim down and a dab of glue they stay put and stop the rattle.

until like my stepside it just gets so much rust their is no hope for a rattle free truck LOL!

might even try some of the stick on stuff that goes on table top furniture stop scratches. felt one side sticky tape other.

I check the old 82 bed out back and see if they are their and I can get them off in tact for you.
Okay thanks buddy. I've got some rubber wedged in there now so I don't go crazy when I have rear slider open up
Posted By: Hugh Jorgan

Re: Tailgate rubber bump stops - 08/31/21 04:17 PM

Try McMaster-Carr

Re: Tailgate rubber bump stops - 08/31/21 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Hugh Jorgan
Try McMaster-Carr
I'll check it out thanks.

edit: I think they may just have something here https://www.mcmaster.com/bumper-cushions/threaded-stud-bumpers-6/
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: Tailgate rubber bump stops - 08/31/21 10:19 PM

Why not just buy what fits. bumper

Re: Tailgate rubber bump stops - 09/01/21 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by NITROUSN
Why not just buy what fits. bumper
I don't know why I didn't think of LMC. I usually do but that is why I asked here. I just ordered 4. Two for me two for Scratchnfortratchn. Thanks.
Posted By: Uberpube

Re: Tailgate rubber bump stops - 09/06/21 12:05 AM

Van's auto has them. Just bought a set.

Re: Tailgate rubber bump stops - 09/07/21 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Uberpube
Van's auto has them. Just bought a set.
Vans only shows the lower ones for hinges. LMC shows both lower and round uppers, with lowers backordered.
Posted By: B1Frank

Re: Tailgate rubber bump stops - 09/08/21 03:01 PM

On the new truck they are LONGER. i have seen on the older truck SHORTER, all rubber, i don't know who is making them, i got mine from VAN'S auto , they are the short one's for a 1978

Re: Tailgate rubber bump stops - 09/08/21 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by B1Frank
On the new truck they are LONGER. i have seen on the older truck SHORTER, all rubber, i don't know who is making them, i got mine from VAN'S auto , they are the short one's for a 1978
There's an upper and lower "bumper". The lowers hold the hinges and the uppers stop the top of the tailgate from rattling. As I wrote in the opening of my thread I have a '79. Here's the LMC page with diagram of what they refer to "upper" and "lower" numbers 11 and 12. I was in need of number 11 the round uppers

https://www.lmctruck.com/1972-93-dodge/dc-1972-93-sweptline-bed-and-tailgate-components
Posted By: B1Frank

Re: Tailgate rubber bump stops - 09/08/21 06:44 PM

i see the one's for LMC truck, the one's that LMC truck is showing are the later one's, not for the 79 truck's

Re: Tailgate rubber bump stops - 09/08/21 08:22 PM

i see the one's for LMC truck, the one's that LMC truck is showing are the later one's, not for the 79 truck's
72 to 93 and they (#11 and #12) look just like the ones on my '79
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: Tailgate rubber bump stops - 09/09/21 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by larrymopar360
72 to 93 and they (#11 and #12) look just like the ones on my '79

If I remember correctly the earlier shorter lower one was cancelled and superseded by Mopar parts division. The newer style longer one was the replacement.
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Tailgate rubber bump stops - 09/13/21 12:30 AM

Old trucks are supposed to rattle somewhat. Part of the package. Having said that though I stopped a major source of rattling in my PW crew by replacing all the window runs. I can actually hear myself think in it now. No radio so that is my only enternainment. Not for the faint of heart. laugh2

Re: Tailgate rubber bump stops - 09/14/21 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Guitar Jones
Old trucks are supposed to rattle somewhat. Part of the package. Having said that though I stopped a major source of rattling in my PW crew by replacing all the window runs. I can actually hear myself think in it now. No radio so that is my only enternainment. Not for the faint of heart. laugh2
Next up is my window runs, disintegrated ones definitely add to the noise. My truck was pretty darn quiet until I simply touched those upper rubber bumpers and they fell out. That left a huge gap so I wedged the broken ones back in there until the new ones arrive for LMC. Guitar from reading your recent post I think some of the noise in your truck is from the back seat springs being worked laugh

I just added a nice Kenwood single disc stereo under the dash, no hacking, leaving the original radio mounted in it's factory spot. Now I can listen to Willie, Merle, Waylon and others instead of myself singing.
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Tailgate rubber bump stops - 09/14/21 06:55 PM

Good luck, gawd I hate replacing those things. BTW, save yourself some aggravation, the window glass has to come out, the belt mouldings need to come off and you will need to remove the vent window frame as well. Good time to buy replacements for all of that. On mine I was unable to use both the inner and outer belt mouldings. It made it impossible to roll the window up and down so I settled for just the outers. Still trying to figure out a way to clean up the inner area.

Re: Tailgate rubber bump stops - 09/14/21 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Guitar Jones
Good luck, gawd I hate replacing those things. BTW, save yourself some aggravation, the window glass has to come out, the belt mouldings need to come off and you will need to remove the vent window frame as well. Good time to buy replacements for all of that. On mine I was unable to use both the inner and outer belt mouldings. It made it impossible to roll the window up and down so I settled for just the outers. Still trying to figure out a way to clean up the inner area.
Ugh. Okay thanks for tips. I see LMC truck has some videos with tips on doing the job but I haven't watched.
© 2024 Moparts Forums