Moparts

Need 1974-80 Ramcharger liftgate lock

Posted By: migsBIG

Need 1974-80 Ramcharger liftgate lock - 08/03/21 12:22 AM

I recently bought back a 1975 Trailduster and the guy I sold it to lost the rear liftback keys and can't open it. I would like to open it and replace the lock or even th whole handle if possible. I looked everywhere, but nobody seems to have it. Anyone have any suggestions or sources?
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: Need 1974-80 Ramcharger liftgate lock - 08/03/21 01:31 AM

It has been a long time but I believe a garage door handle can be made to work.
Posted By: Hugh Jorgan

Re: Need 1974-80 Ramcharger liftgate lock - 08/03/21 01:43 AM

Call a locksmith to open it and have keys made. shruggy
Posted By: buildanother

Re: Need 1974-80 Ramcharger liftgate lock - 08/03/21 01:27 PM

Still have a key or 2 laying around that would work my 79 ramcharger lock with slight wigglng.l You should be able to do the same with a basic bunch of keys that fit garage tool boxes etc.

Re: Need 1974-80 Ramcharger liftgate lock - 08/03/21 07:37 PM

Calling a California lock smith ain't cheap. Last one quoted me $115 and that was 2 years ago. For that kind of money, I would do all the locks on the truck, which needs to be done because I got no keys when I got it back. I hae wiggled a bunch of keys in it, and nothin worked. As for a garage door handle? Have not seen one of those in over 20 years as everybody around has electric doors or electric locks. Thanks for the suggestions though.
Posted By: Hugh Jorgan

Re: Need 1974-80 Ramcharger liftgate lock - 08/03/21 08:05 PM

The door lock key is the same as the hatch lock key right? Can't you remove the door lock and take it to a local locksmith to have replacement keys made and save on a service call?

If that's still too expensive, maybe start a go fund me here on moparts. I'll send a buck to help. laugh2
Posted By: trw1982

Re: Need 1974-80 Ramcharger liftgate lock - 08/03/21 08:50 PM

i agree with hugh. i bought a tilt column out of a junk yard and the locksmith said that he could make a key using the door locks. charged 30.00. column was for 86 d150.

Re: Need 1974-80 Ramcharger liftgate lock - 08/04/21 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Hugh Jorgan
The door lock key is the same as the hatch lock key right? Can't you remove the door lock and take it to a local locksmith to have replacement keys made and save on a service call?

If that's still too expensive, maybe start a go fund me here on moparts. I'll send a buck to help. laugh2

No the key is not the same. It is not even a Mopar style.
Posted By: shanker

Re: Need 1974-80 Ramcharger liftgate lock - 08/05/21 05:52 PM

It should still open from the inside with the lever that has the black plastic piece on it. I'm 99% sure they are the same as Travel Trailer and some RV locks.
Posted By: 3hundred

Re: Need 1974-80 Ramcharger liftgate lock - 08/05/21 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by NITROUSN

It's an AMC key blank. Too bad this didn't come up earlier, I just found my original Ramcharger keys with the tag and threw them out. I sold that truck 25 years ago.

Re: Need 1974-80 Ramcharger liftgate lock - 08/05/21 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by 3hundred

It's an AMC key blank. Too bad this didn't come up earlier, I just found my original Ramcharger keys with the tag and threw them out. I sold that truck 25 years ago.

It is not an automotive key blank.
Posted By: Ramtough

Re: Need 1974-80 Ramcharger liftgate lock - 08/07/21 01:54 PM

81 and newer is a like a AMC key, 80 and older like a universal RV, tool box key.
Posted By: 3hundred

Re: Need 1974-80 Ramcharger liftgate lock - 08/07/21 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Ramtough

81 and newer is a like a AMC key, 80 and older like a universal RV, tool box key.

Thank you, I guess it's been so many years since I had one, I'd forgotten. I just recall the AMC ignition key blank for the liftgate. Then sometime they went to one key for everything.

Re: Need 1974-80 Ramcharger liftgate lock - 08/09/21 12:17 AM

Well I think I'm going to order the latch I found online for campers. It looks identical and has a lock. worse case I wasted $20 bucks. Best cast is it works and found a new source of parts for ramcharger owners to happy about.
Posted By: ShaneHobbs

Re: Need 1974-80 Ramcharger liftgate lock - 09/13/21 12:27 PM

That work can easily be handled by local locksmith experts also.
© 2024 Moparts Forums