Moparts

truck oil pan Big Block

Posted By: modelmakerinc

truck oil pan Big Block - 07/26/21 11:27 AM

fellas, I see some big block truck pans have a brass elbow and different dipstick down in the sump and others dont. what is the application for these? RV?, 2x4? 4x4?, different years? what is the straight poop on this Thanks in advance Henry
Posted By: moparmarks

Re: truck oil pan Big Block - 07/26/21 02:27 PM

The rear sump pan with the dipstick on the side is from 1972-78 Pickup both 2wd and 4wd. Can also use from big block conversion on 1979-93.
Posted By: modelmakerinc

Re: truck oil pan Big Block - 07/26/21 03:08 PM

so if the dipstick goes to the side of the pan, what was used for the hole in the block, some type of plug?

Re: truck oil pan Big Block - 07/26/21 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by modelmakerinc
so if the dipstick goes to the side of the pan, what was used for the hole in the block, some type of plug?

Yep. A little bitty freeze plug looking plug.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: truck oil pan Big Block - 08/01/21 05:00 AM

fellas, I see some big block truck pans have a brass elbow and different dipstick down in the sump and others dont. what is the application for these? RV?, 2x4? 4x4?, different years? what is the straight poop on this Thanks in advance Henry
The only motors I've seen them in is Class A motorhomes shruggy
All the pickup truck and van motors I've seen had the longer standard drive in dipstick tubes and dipsticks, not with the elbows shruggy
Posted By: 440_Offroader

Re: truck oil pan Big Block - 08/01/21 02:42 PM

I've had a 76 Ramcharger and a 78 W150. Both trucks had factory 400 engines. They both had the dipstick tube run to the pan with the 90 degree fitting. Actually, every factory rear sump big block pan that I've seen, has that fitting. I'm not saying that that's always true, just what I've seen with 70's trucks engines I've worked with.
Posted By: SattyNoCar

Re: truck oil pan Big Block - 08/01/21 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by 440_Offroader
I've had a 76 Ramcharger and a 78 W150. Both trucks had factory 400 engines. They both had the dipstick tube run to the pan with the 90 degree fitting. Actually, every factory rear sump big block pan that I've seen, has that fitting. I'm not saying that that's always true, just what I've seen with 70's trucks engines I've worked with.

iagree

Matter of fact, way back when I was dealing with this issue, the truck pan didn't have a provision for the block mounted dipstick. I was swapping a 440 in place of a 360 using a wrecked 400 equipped truck for parts.

Re: truck oil pan Big Block - 08/01/21 11:31 PM

72-78 D/W rear sump oil pan
I have owned several 72-78 BB truck and they all pan this pan

Attached picture 20210301_100604.jpg

Re: truck oil pan Big Block - 08/01/21 11:33 PM

71 and back have a front sump pan. Lower pan
Class A motorhome have a deeper front sump pan. Upper pan

Attached picture 20210111_120400.jpg
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: truck oil pan Big Block - 08/02/21 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by moparmarks
72-78 D/W rear sump oil pan
I have owned several 72-78 BB truck and they all pan this pan

That is what they had along with the brass 90 degree fitting for the tube to attach to the pan.
Posted By: Robbins

Re: truck oil pan Big Block - 08/09/21 01:53 PM

I've only seen 72 up trucks & some RV's have these.

Some of the 71 & down trucks & RV's had a front sump pans also.

Re: truck oil pan Big Block - 08/09/21 01:57 PM

71 and back have a front sump pan. Lower pan
Class A motorhome have a deeper front sump pan. Upper pan

Nice....I haven't seen a front sump with the dip stick in it...cool stuff.

Re: truck oil pan Big Block - 08/09/21 06:11 PM

Actually the upper motorhome pan has a plug in the side. It did not have a dip stick there and not really sure what it is for. It is a larger size than the dip stick fitting.
Posted By: poorboy

Re: truck oil pan Big Block - 08/10/21 02:47 AM

Actually the upper motorhome pan has a plug in the side. It did not have a dip stick there and not really sure what it is for. It is a larger size than the dip stick fitting.

Could have been a fitting for an oil temp gauge.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: truck oil pan Big Block - 08/10/21 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
The only motors I've seen them in is Class A motorhomes shruggy
All the pickup truck and van motors I've seen had the longer standard drive in dipstick tubes and dipsticks, not with the elbows shruggy

You have your oil pans mixed up Cab. The light truck pans have a rear sump and the dipstick goes into the sump using a brass fitting. The dipstick hole in the block is plugged with a small aluminum plug.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: truck oil pan Big Block - 08/10/21 06:05 AM

The truck pan was a popular package from Mopar Performance for years. I think it is disco now but it used to be a nice deal complete with the pickup tube. I bought and sold lots of those pans over the years. Just sold my last one for $20 to a drag racer who needed a core to build a rear sump pan for his drag car. He cut the sump off and built his own.

Re: truck oil pan Big Block - 08/10/21 01:39 PM

Right on.
Posted By: Hugh Jorgan

Re: truck oil pan Big Block - 08/10/21 02:55 PM

I have a front sump out in the shop that has a low oil sensor in the side of it. twocents
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: truck oil pan Big Block - 08/10/21 05:34 PM

That was for an air compressor return line and I think some also had a big oil cooler that also used the return to pan fitting. I had a C800 With the 413 that used that return port.

Re: truck oil pan Big Block - 08/10/21 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Hugh Jorgan
I have a front sump out in the shop that has a low oil sensor in the side of it. twocents

I think I've seen that before.
Posted By: Mad-Max

Re: truck oil pan Big Block - 12/21/21 06:52 PM

My 440 came from a 79 Winnebago motor coach - it had a front sump pan, but since I was putting it in a 02 Dakota with a solid front axle I needed a rear sump pan. I got the Milodon 8-quart pan (30890) and pickup tube (18455), plus the dipstick and flex tube kit (22061). I also used the Summit windage tray/pan seal (SUM-G-2339). Being a real off-road machine I fabbed/welded an additional 3/16 plate shield to the bottom. I plugged the OE dipstock hole with a nice plug from Mancini (MREAR279). Diggin' it so far.
Pics -

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

block dipstick hole plug - tapped right in - no drilling required -

[Linked Image]
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: truck oil pan Big Block - 12/21/21 09:22 PM

Scratchnfortracthn can give you the low down for sure. He gave me a BB truck pan with the exact thing you're asking about. I haven't used it yet. Where are you Mike?
© 2024 Moparts Forums