Moparts

79 D150 Cab Harness Routing

Posted By: OrangeProwler

79 D150 Cab Harness Routing - 04/02/21 04:12 PM

Hello. I am doing some repairs/replacement of the cab harness in my 79 D150 and I'm just wondering what the best method is to get the cargo and dome light harnesses up to their respective locations? I tried searching for it on it here but, couldn't find anything here in this section. Any help or information you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Posted By: 1E2C

Re: 79 D150 Cab Harness Routing - 04/02/21 04:40 PM

Factory routing is along the floor on the driver's side just outboard of the seat brackets then up the driver side rear cab behind the door post.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: 79 D150 Cab Harness Routing - 04/02/21 06:48 PM

Try fishing them through with a straightened wire coat hanger.
Posted By: hooziewhatsit

Re: 79 D150 Cab Harness Routing - 04/02/21 08:07 PM

I've heard of using a string with a cotton ball tied to it, and a vacuum cleaner to pull it through. But that's mostly for conduit. Not sure if or how it would work here.
Posted By: OrangeProwler

Re: 79 D150 Cab Harness Routing - 04/02/21 08:33 PM

Thank you all again. I'll keep all this information in mind.
Posted By: poorboy

Re: 79 D150 Cab Harness Routing - 04/03/21 12:06 AM

Feeding a pull wire (I use mig wire, but a coat hanger or even bailing wire will work if its long enough) from the top towards the bottom, hook and tape the new wire to the pull wire, and slowly pull it up through.

If your old wiring is still there, its much easier to tape the new wire to the old wire and pull the new up into place as you remove the old wire. In either case, you need to pull slowly and easily. The only attachment you have is the tapped joint. If it pulls apart, you get to start over.

The next option is to pull the headliner and replace the wire. Gene
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: 79 D150 Cab Harness Routing - 04/03/21 01:20 AM

The next option is to pull the headliner and replace the wire. Gene

Dropping the headliner does nothing for access.
© 2024 Moparts Forums