Moparts

Towing rear suspension, air bags or helper leafs?

Posted By: Dragula

Towing rear suspension, air bags or helper leafs? - 01/12/21 03:08 AM

Got me a real nice 2011 2500 diesel shortbed. It rides great, but when I hook the trailer to it, it drops that back like a rock. I have bags on my 2003 2500 diesel and they have been great, should I do that again, or add the helper leafs? I was also planning to add a rear sway bar if that matters.

Attached picture DSC07060.JPG
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Towing rear suspension, air bags or helper leafs? - 01/12/21 04:05 AM

At least with air bags you can change the stiffness of the ride when it's empty or not towing.
Posted By: geo.

Re: Towing rear suspension, air bags or helper leafs? - 01/12/21 04:11 AM

wondering what your tongue weight is?

Do you have an equalizer hitch?

I'm asking 'cause I just bought an '08 Mega Cab.

I used air lift bags on my Durango, but I know its more involved and $$$ on a vehicle with leaf springs.

I'd probably go with bags again, 'cause I like the unloaded ride too.
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: Towing rear suspension, air bags or helper leafs? - 01/12/21 03:36 PM

Bag it and don't look back. I like to run the fill line to the fuel door. Stays nice and clean, easy to get to, and does not take a beating when mounted in the rear.
Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: Towing rear suspension, air bags or helper leafs? - 01/12/21 05:12 PM

bag it!
Posted By: ruderunner

Re: Towing rear suspension, air bags or helper leafs? - 01/13/21 12:52 AM

Get a proper hitch
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Towing rear suspension, air bags or helper leafs? - 01/13/21 01:20 AM

I had bags on my 2004 quad cab 4x4 shortbed one ton and loved them. The original owner had a 200 gallon diesel tank in the back to fill his construction equipment and left them on when he traded it in. Bad it and forget it! The only thing I wish he would have put in was a built in compressor with a switch in the cab. To change stiffness there were dual fillers in the bumper to fill it manually.

Re: Towing rear suspension, air bags or helper leafs? - 01/14/21 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by ruderunner
Get a proper hitch

Can you elaborate on this?

Bags it is....Might even opt for an on board compressor with pressure read out. My tongue weight must be up there pretty good, none of the 1/2 ton truck like my trailer and my '03 2500 ended up with bags on after a few years.
Posted By: 5thAve

Re: Towing rear suspension, air bags or helper leafs? - 01/14/21 06:09 PM

He probably means using a weight distribution hitch.
You might want to check the tongue weight to make sure it's not overloading the hitch on the truck,

Bags sound like the best way to go. I guess that's the one disadvantage of the newer truck suspensions.
Posted By: max_maniac

Re: Towing rear suspension, air bags or helper leafs? - 01/15/21 03:09 AM

Is this for a tag trailer? If so the proper weight distribution hitch is all that's needed. Never had any issue with my 2500 with a tag. However when I went to a heavier and longer gooseneck trailer I added bags.
Posted By: ruderunner

Re: Towing rear suspension, air bags or helper leafs? - 01/16/21 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by 5thAve
He probably means using a weight distribution hitch.
You might want to check the tongue weight to make sure it's not overloading the hitch on the truck,

Bags sound like the best way to go. I guess that's the one disadvantage of the newer truck suspensions.

Yes weight distribution hitch.

Just because the rear end doesn't squat doesn't mean the package is balanced properly. If you've never towed with weight distribution you don't know what you're missing.
Posted By: mgoblue9798

Re: Towing rear suspension, air bags or helper leafs? - 01/16/21 03:03 PM

air bags 100%
Posted By: 11secdart

Re: Towing rear suspension, air bags or helper leafs? - 01/16/21 04:18 PM

Air bags !!! I had a set on my 02 Durango, when I bought my 08 H.Q.C. I actually made brackets to adapt the same set to the 08 after 17 years one bag developed a leak I purchased a new pair and they bolted right to the same brackets. when I purchased the 08 the nose sat lower than the rear , I installed a 2 inch leveling kit the air bags are good for keeping the truck level even when not towing.

Attached picture 5D5290EF-4F10-4EFA-9518-B5DAEC33D2F7.jpeg
Attached picture 77D849C8-2F8F-4DC3-AADE-552C46FD1DC2.jpeg

Re: Towing rear suspension, air bags or helper leafs? - 03/30/21 02:40 AM

I towed with weight distribution hitch on my RV....Never needed one with a Dodge.....I did get the air bags on...Perfect fit. I just need to wire in the compressor and the they are done. Love how they fit no messing around. Wondering if a Hellwig rear sway bar will fit with the air bags?

Feels like I need new shocks on this truck too. I am thinking Bilsteins, what say Moparts?
© 2024 Moparts Forums