Moparts

Dakota Tachometer reading incorrect

Posted By: Mopar1970440

Dakota Tachometer reading incorrect - 07/02/20 07:48 PM

1994 Dakota 5.2 with 5 speed manual transmission

Tachometer seems to be reading at least double what the engine is actually RPMing at. Example: The engine is running about 2,000 rpm the tachometer is reading 4,000ish and then sometimes the tachometer is just acting all sorts of wacky bouncing around.

What is the way to go about diagnosing this kind of issue? Cluster? Some type of sensor? Thanks
Posted By: SattyNoCar

Re: Dakota Tachometer reading incorrect - 07/02/20 11:40 PM

Sorry, no help here, just commenting because I'm in the same boat.

I'm having issues with the tach in my '92 Dakota. What I've noticed with mine though is when it 'flat-lines' (doesn't read anything) it almost feels like the brakes are dragging, the truck looses its 'snap'. It's a subtle difference, but there is a difference.

I'm not sure how to diagnose it though. Yours might be easier being OBDII , but I don't know.

I've asked about the tach in my truck a few times, but no one seems to know how to diagnose it. A member here offered a known good tach to me and I swapped it in but no real difference was seen.

shruggy
Posted By: CHRGR69

Re: Dakota Tachometer reading incorrect - 07/03/20 04:12 PM

Same here with my 89 Dakota 3.9. Bouncy tach????
Posted By: 2Bad360sfromNC

Re: Dakota Tachometer reading incorrect - 08/13/20 12:50 AM

If you remove the instrument cluster, you'll see a little circuit board about 2" x 3" or so. it snaps off of the cluster. A lot of times you can actually see cracks or dimples around the larger solder joints on that board. Take your soldering iron and maybe just a small amount of new solder and re-flow those joints. Take care not to bridge any circuits with solder. Pop the board back onto the cluster and install it back into the truck. It should work much better.
© 2024 Moparts Forums