Moparts

Lowering Shackles

Posted By: LowDeck451

Lowering Shackles - 05/20/20 02:57 PM

Thinking about putting lowering shackles on my ‘74 D100. It kinda looks like a longer shackle might hit or rub the bracket. Has anyone had problems or can recommend a certain brand of shackles? Thanks.
Posted By: redraptor

Re: Lowering Shackles - 05/23/20 11:06 AM

If you want to lower your truck, you'll have to do an axle flip. There's plenty of threads on it.
Posted By: earlymopar

Re: Lowering Shackles - 05/23/20 12:03 PM

An axle flip is one way to do it but it's not the only way. Using aftermarket (dropped) rear spring mounts can achieve quite a bit of a drop. I think I was around 6" total with my 65' using this method which was perfect.

- EM
Posted By: dart4forte

Re: Lowering Shackles - 05/23/20 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by LowDeck451
Thinking about putting lowering shackles on my ‘74 D100. It kinda looks like a longer shackle might hit or rub the bracket. Has anyone had problems or can recommend a certain brand of shackles? Thanks.

Here’s mine. Did the axle flip using a 8 3/4.

Attached picture 12D39825-107E-4795-8086-ED0F0BE78FFD.jpeg
Posted By: tmef

Re: Lowering Shackles - 05/25/20 01:43 AM

I flipped the front spring hanger and used a lowering shackle. Then installed new 3/4 ton leaf springs. I am going to raise it up a hole on the shackle. It's a little too low for car trailer hauling.

Attached picture 0131161534.jpg
Attached picture 0131161535.jpg
Attached picture 0410161417c.jpg
Posted By: redraptor

Re: Lowering Shackles - 05/25/20 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by tmef
I flipped the front spring hanger and used a lowering shackle.

Where did you get the lowering shackle? And did you drill out the front hanger for 3/4 ton hardware?
Posted By: tmef

Re: Lowering Shackles - 05/28/20 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by redraptor
Originally Posted by tmef
I flipped the front spring hanger and used a lowering shackle.

Where did you get the lowering shackle? And did you drill out the front hanger for 3/4 ton hardware?

The lowering shackles are for a 90's Chevy if I remember correctly. I do not remember where I got them. These look like them though. https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Perform...53734&utm_content=Other%20Categories

And yes I do believe I drilled the the front hanger out some. I put a tapered shim between the leaf springs and their mounts to correct the pinion angle.
Posted By: hp383

Re: Lowering Shackles - 06/04/20 12:16 AM

Summit Racing now lists a lowering shackle for the 94 era 1/2 ton trucks, they are slightly longer than the Chevy drop shackle. And are setup for a 2.5" width spring.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/djm-sh1009-2/make/dodge
Posted By: 11secdart

Re: Lowering Shackles - 06/05/20 03:41 PM

I just looked at them on Summit, not shipping until mid-August. I purchased a set similar to the Summit ones from a website and they really did nothing by looking at the truck height. I previously had a set of cheap aftermarket shackles that did more to lower the truck. I don`t want to do an axle flip as I bracket race the truck , I thought about doing the front spring hanger flip but my gas tank is very close to the front spring hanger to do this modification. I am thinking of just putting the cheap shackles back in as they seemed to work better.
© 2024 Moparts Forums