Moparts

blower resister??

Posted By: rhad

blower resister?? - 07/24/19 03:26 AM

03 dakota,i replaced the resister last year,now its acting up again,at times i need to bump it to make the fan work,i presume its corroded from heat due to a loose connection?,is this common with this era of dakota??
Posted By: buildanother

Re: blower resister?? - 07/24/19 08:30 AM

You can splice in a new connector that comes with short length of harness. i got one from rock, it works well. Those resistors run hot and connector shows that from years of use.
Posted By: bobby66

Re: blower resister?? - 07/24/19 10:58 AM

I've changed a couple in my 2002 Dakota. Wires and connector looked good. Got a new blower motor in the garage for the next time I'm crawling around under the dash. boogie
Posted By: I_bleed_MOPAR

Re: blower resister?? - 07/24/19 11:22 AM

Probably the blower motor. I put one in my Durango earlier this year after smacking the housing for about 8 months. Same deal with my sons '01 Dakota 5-6 years ago. If your Dakota is like my Durango you do not have to pull the dash and case out. Check youtube and google. I pulled my dash just far enough to put a new resistor in which you already did.

Tim
Posted By: rhad

Re: blower resister?? - 07/25/19 03:07 AM

when i replaced the resister i also replaced the plug with a "high heat" plug,sometimes it comes on by itself sometimes it needs a bump
Posted By: dynamite

Re: blower resister?? - 07/25/19 12:26 PM

I have replaced 5 or 6 resisters in my 04 Dak.. they work fine for a year or two then it only has high fan ....I have gotten them from dealer, Rock and one from the junk yard..I owned the Dak since new, and have almost two hundred k on it ....
Posted By: I_bleed_MOPAR

Re: blower resister?? - 07/25/19 12:27 PM

IIRC (I am getting old wink ), you can get to the blower wires by removing the glove box. The next time it doesn't work (and you have the time), unplug the connector and use either a test light or volt meter across the harness side to see if you have 12v and a ground. You may want to remove the glove box ahead of time just so you don't jar the dash enough to make the motor work when you remove it. If you do have voltage & a ground, then that tells you the motor is dragging. Bad motors are very common in Dakotas/Durangos of this vintage.

Tim
© 2024 Moparts Forums