Moparts

dead dakota

Posted By: rhad

dead dakota - 06/25/19 03:23 AM

i jump started my 92 yesterday after setting for a few months,drove it around for about 20 or so miles,this morning my 4 yr old battery was dead as a ham,mer,so,new battery,spins over fine,no start!!,anyone wanta guess whats up?,ill post the answer when i find out!!
Posted By: poorboy

Re: dead dakota - 06/26/19 12:52 AM

Between the battery and the firewall there is a factory wire splice where 5 ignition hot wires are all spliced together. These wires are very small and in the past there have been problems with one or more wires breaking off at that splice. The wires at the splice is either pink, blue, or red, depending on what year the truck is (I forget which year had which color wires). See if you have voltage at the throttle position sensor, the cam sensor, and the dist sensor, or the fuel pump relay in the under hood fuse box, if any of them does not have power with the key on, you need to open up the wiring harness and look for the splice with the broken wires. I've encountered this from 91 through 94 Dakotas.Gene

Re: dead dakota - 06/26/19 03:17 AM

i might have looked at the wires years ago,but will do so again for sure,funny thing,it started right up this morning!!

Re: dead dakota - 06/26/19 06:35 PM

i took the relay/fuse box loose,i didnt see anything broken ,however i did cut out some splices and resoldered them,it runs great ,just like it does most of the time,time will tell if its fixed or not,new ign parts coming just because its time

Re: dead dakota - 06/29/19 03:22 AM

i replaced the coil 2day,the old one was somewhat loose in the mounting screws,i thought i got it!!,but it died twice today,once i had to stop and cycle the key,the other time i was goin fast enough that it just died and restarted ,kinda like a hickup,tach goes dead as soon as it looses power,im pretty stumped!!
Posted By: kenworth_goose

Re: dead dakota - 06/30/19 02:22 AM

While it's idling wiggle the plug on the pcm on the passenger side inner fender. They are known to have loose connections at the computer/ plug.

Re: dead dakota - 06/30/19 03:25 AM

i have changed the pcm but i will wiggle the wires just to be sure,tho i think ive already done that,i know the bolt that holds the wires in is tight!!

Re: dead dakota - 06/30/19 03:31 PM

i wiggled the pcm wires,nothing!!,i wiggled the main harness going to the firewall and the fuse box on the firewall,it died and no matter how much i wiggle it it wont start,i looked at the rats nest of wires and stripped back the insulation quite a bit going to the firewall,cant see anything,i have a shop manual for this truck,guess ill have to scratch my head some to figure out which wire is broken,jees what a mees!!!,i presume i dont have to remove the harness from where it goes thru the firewall?
Posted By: I_bleed_MOPAR

Re: dead dakota - 06/30/19 06:06 PM

No help but following. I have a '95 and am going to look at a '93 so very curious as to what you find.
Good luck. luck

Tim
Posted By: SattyNoCar

Re: dead dakota - 06/30/19 08:27 PM

Just because you pulled on the harness on the engine side of the firewall, doesn't mean the break can't be on the interior side of the firewall.

I haven't had it happen on a Dakota, but with a '71 Chrysler I used to own. It about drove me nuts. One of the terminals had corrosion, causing the crimp to loosen its grip on the wire.

Good luck.

Watching as well since I have a '93 Dakota.

popcorn

Re: dead dakota - 06/30/19 08:48 PM

that big white power wire at the battery has also been know to lose connection. If it's corroded it won't run

Re: dead dakota - 07/01/19 02:36 AM

looking in the shop manual i find a 4 splice connection of 16 gauge(small) wires,the manual shows they are powered thru a underhood fuse ,they are marked 16rd/wh,i do see a 5 splice thats 14br that goes to the ign and some of the relays,its gonna be a couple of days till i can get back to look at it,at least with the shop manual i have a idea what color to look for!!
thanks!,and stay tuned!!
Butch aka old fat man

Re: dead dakota - 07/02/19 04:03 PM

FIXED!!!!!!
i found a connection with 4 blue wires and that was the problem!,the copper was somewhat discolored and didnt solder very well ,so i took a strand of clean copper wire and wrapped it around the 4 wires that i had twisted together and tried to solder,then i just soldered the fresh wire around the 4 discolored wire splice and taped it really good,it made a big bump in the wire that my 1/2 inch shrink tubing wouldnt fit over but it started right up!!!,now i just need to either find some large split loom ,or use a couple rolls of elec tape to put the birds nest back together!!

Re: dead dakota - 07/02/19 07:35 PM

Glad you found it. up
Filed for future reference. wink

Tim

Re: dead dakota - 07/02/19 11:52 PM

rhad, about where in the wire harness was the blue wire splice? It may help someone else locate it quicker if they suspect it may be a problem for them. Gene

Re: dead dakota - 07/03/19 03:16 AM

i found the splice just below the fuse box on the drivers fender,2 of the wires hook to the auto shutdown relay and the fuel pump relay,i think the color might change with the year?,just take the fuse box loose and turn it over,follow the wires till you find where the connect,its almost right under the fusebox,or as some call it the power distribution center,AKA PDC
i had heard of the problem years ago,but never seen any corrosion on mine,and i had looked there before!!
thanks for the help!!
and the support,now back to the birds nest and electric tape!!

Re: dead dakota.........still - 07/05/19 03:12 PM

went for a ride this morning as i do each morning,all ok.....then it died,crank crank crank,nothing,called tow truck,then it started!!!,called him back,drove home and into my shop,wiggiled tugged pulled on wires,kept runnin?,checked fuel pressure,27 pounds at idle,seems a little low but not enough to keep it frm running,i took the under hood fuse box loose and rechecked my solder joint on the blue wires,good and tight!!,cant make it die!!,about the only thing i havent replaced is the cap,rotor plug wires,and can sensor in the dist,and the fuel pump and filter,i dont want to give up but im lost!!1,it just about has to be electrical,but where???

Re: dead dakota.........still - 07/07/19 06:30 PM

i started it this morning,died after 30 seconds,restarted ,ran for 2 minutes,restarted,ran forever wouldnt die no matter what i shook,pulled wiggled,etc,gonna pull the plug at the firewall and look,also check the under dash fuse box for corrosion,burnt places etc,never get a check engine lighjt!!

Re: dead dakota.........still - 07/07/19 07:06 PM

I'm beginning to wonder if it's a fuel delivery problem. Either a clogged filter or a pump going bad.

You said the truck had sat for a few months, how old was the gas when parked? Have you added more since you got it going again?

Do you hear the pump hum when you turn the key on?

When it won't start, have you checked for fuel at the rail?

Re: dead dakota.........still - 07/08/19 02:44 AM

fuel sprays out of the schrader valve real strong,my nephew is gonna help me wioth the under dash fuse box and the plug at the firewall,i would be really happy if it was the fuel pump,at 27 yrs and 349,000 miles it has had at least 3 pumps over the years,maybe i mneed to reload the parts cannon!!!LOL

Re: dead dakota.........still - 07/17/19 03:21 AM

new cap rotor wires can sensor,it still died!!,new fuel pressure checker,35# up to 40 when you rev it up
then i noticed that the drain for the ac was dripping right on part of the crank sensor plug!!! WHOOOO!!,tomorrows project.....inspect and move those wires!!,ran for a hour in the shop,no problem?????????

Re: dead dakota.........still - 07/17/19 01:41 PM

Still following along. Good luck with it. luck

Tim

Re: dead dakota.........still - 07/18/19 03:30 AM

looked at and moved the crank sensor wires and plug,no corrosion detected,hasnt died in the last 2 runs???????
whats left to do????fuel filter is old,but no signs of restriction,revs good pressure stays good ethanol should take care of water in the gas,if any???,as ive said before,it might run good for a couple days then die,then restart
Posted By: 2Bad360sfromNC

Re: dead dakota.........still - 07/24/19 12:04 AM

My '91 had a bout of random death a couple years ago. No sputtering--it was just like you turned off the key. After trying most everything mentioned above, I changed the hall effect pickup in the distributor, and that fixed it. I now ride with a spare in the glovebox.

Re: dead dakota.........still - 07/24/19 03:23 AM

i have changed the hall effect in the dist,it still died on me!,new fuel filter on the way!

Re: dead dakota.........still - 07/26/19 03:39 AM

new filter this evening,test drive tomorrow!!,keep your fingers crossed!

Re: dead dakota.........still - 07/26/19 04:05 AM

luck
Posted By: stumpy

Re: dead dakota.........still - 07/27/19 01:32 AM

Well don't keep us in suspense. How did it do?

Re: dead dakota.........still - 07/27/19 02:52 AM

went for a morning cruise,did not die,no idea if its fixed or just being nice for a bit??,oh yeah,the speedometer didnt work,must of done something when replacing the filter,i need to drive for a few days to be sure,the 27 yr old rubber fuel lines were mushy(my problem??),so i shortened one quite a bit and cut a lot off of the other one and spliced in a longer piece to make it reach the filter

Re: dead dakota.........still - 07/27/19 04:28 AM

Mushy? I wonder if the ethanol gas is attacking the lines? 27yr old lines should be hard and cracked, not mushy.

Might want to go thru and replace anywhere that has old rubber line. Make sure the new line is ethanol resistant.

popcorn

Re: dead dakota.........still - 07/27/19 04:58 PM

the fuel injection lines have a liner so im ok there,HOWEVER,it ran about 150 feet this morning and died,im gonna fix up a fuel pressure gauge so i can moniter it while driving,if its NOT the fuel pump im stumped big time!!!

Re: dead dakota.........still - 07/28/19 11:41 PM

hooked up the fuel pressure gauge,drove about 20 miles or so over various roads,no die,pressure steady at mid 30's
still stumped!!
gonna leave the gauge hooked up till it dies,as the saying went when i worked at the rabies lab,a negative test is never positive!!!!!!

Re: dead dakota.........still - 07/31/19 07:58 PM

frown

Tim

Re: dead dakota.........still - 08/01/19 03:10 AM

gave it a break today,more to come
Posted By: 360view

Re: dead dakota.........still - 08/03/19 05:53 PM

My 1995 Ram caused me much consternation in a similar manner.

It turned out to be “cavitation” in the fuel pump suction line caused by the sock filter being nearly, but not completely, clogged.

When the gasoline got warm enough the steady fuel pressure would suddenly drop to near zero and the engine would die.

After the fuel cooled just a little fuel pressure would return to normal, sometimes for hours or days.

Remove some of the cargo box bolts and loosen the others.
Jack one side of the cargo box above the fuel pump up to about 40 degrees to give clearance,
Watch the electrical wires in the rear near the license plate and do not damage them.
Remove the pump assembly and if you are on a budget clean just the sock filter at the bottom.

Since everything is apart consider spending $350 and replace the entire pump assembly.
If you do this go very slow and careful when removing the “anti rollover valve.” since it is not included in most pump kits.
I ended up cutting the anti rollover valve loose from the old pump with a cut off wheel on a Dremel tool, then trimming off the old pump parts to free the valve for reuse.

Re: dead dakota.........still - 08/04/19 03:35 AM

the pump is a carter it has a round filter on the bottom much like a small air filter,fuel pressure has remained steady since i put the gauge on it,i think i have a bad connection somewhere,or a intermittent short?,if it would die and not restart i could find it!!!
keep the hints/help coming please!!
Posted By: jerseybud

Re: dead dakota.........still - 08/04/19 12:49 PM

This spring my 92 was dying with no warning while driving. Threw no codes. My snap on 2500 didnt get anything until the 3rd time. Code 11- crank sensor no good.
Maybe I missed where you checked this but that would easily be the number 1 next step once you are sure the splice under the engine compartment fuse box is checked for corrosion.

Re: dead dakota.........still - 08/05/19 03:05 AM

thanks!,the crank sensor was the first thing i replaced(with a mopar part!)

Re: dead dakota.........still - 08/05/19 11:19 AM

Try leaving the truck in a sunny spot with the gas tank side getting hot from sunlight. Then drive it during the hottest part of the day. Fuel heats up from recirculation too so maybe letting it idle an extended period would create cavitation.

I thought I had a come and go electrical problem too.

Re: dead dakota.........still - 08/20/19 03:13 AM

i re soldered the 3 wire connection under the under hood fuse box just to be sure,also replaced the heater fan motor after all these years,started it up turned on the ac ,went to move another truck out of the way and it died and would not restart,very discouraged!!,gonna check in the morning!
will a snap on 2500 show a history when it fails and then restarts?,its obd1

Re: dead dakota.........still - 08/20/19 04:24 PM

started right up this morning,then died,no restart,checked spark,none!!,over the years of owning this truck ive come to discover its USUALLY the crank sensor,and the one in there now is less than 6 months old,so i did a ohm test on the one i replaced last fall,it showed bad,so i ordered a aftermarket one to replace the mopar one i put in last fall,its lots cheaper than oem and has a 36 month warranty,if this dont fix it then DUH!!!,im running out of ammo for the parts cannon,and money also!
Posted By: 3hundred

Re: dead dakota.........still - 08/20/19 04:26 PM

Have you considered the PCM may be bad?

Robert

Re: dead dakota.........still - 08/21/19 02:52 AM

pcm has been changed!

Re: dead dakota.........still - 08/22/19 04:02 PM

i got the crank sensor out this morning,.its a mopar part about 6 months old,according to my factory service manual it tests bad,so im going aftermarket this time,about half the price and might be made in the same mexican factory,or not!!

Re: dead dakota.........still - 08/23/19 01:14 PM

I have nothing to add. Just wanted to say you have more patience than me! By this time, one of three things would have happened had this been mine. 1) taken it to a shop 2) called auto recyclers to pick it up 3) drug out back and set on fire. work

Thanks for keeping us posted.

Re: dead dakota.........still - 08/23/19 01:17 PM

That's what happened to the wife's '93 Ramcharger, couldn't get it fixed, set it out front until somebody came by and wanted it.

Robert

Re: dead dakota.........still - 08/24/19 02:39 AM

put in the standard motor parts sensor this afternoon,it checked ok,and the old dakota runs good,the main reason i kept after getting it fixed is because ive owned it for 24 yrs ,it does ok on gas and its like a old friend,plus being a v6 with a 391 sure grip 2wd ive hauled and pulled more than you would ever believe,such as a 92 clubcab cummins from east texas to east kansas,i was grossing right at 12,000 # on that trip!!!
if i have more problems ill holler back!
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: dead dakota.........still - 08/24/19 07:52 AM

Mopar over the counter parts should have a one year warranty.

Re: dead dakota.........still - 08/25/19 03:01 AM

im the worlds worst at keeping receipts!!!

Re: dead dakota.........still - 08/25/19 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by rhad
im the worlds worst at keeping receipts!!!

If you paid by card, and have an idea when you bought it, they may be able to find record of your purchase.

(I'm bad with receipts too blush )

Re: dead dakota.........still - 08/25/19 03:13 PM

well CRAP!!!,went for a drive and it died!!,restarted after a minute,im at a total loss!
ive always been Leary of something good as its usually followed by something bad,and im 3000% correct this time

Re: dead dakota.........still - 08/25/19 03:26 PM

Needs a fresh set of eyes. I'd take it to a shop you can trust.

Re: dead dakota.........still - 08/25/19 07:40 PM

i agree on a fresh set of eyes,im gonna pull the cps out and retest it,what would cause it to go bad?,i have another ecm ,but i changed it when this started will a scanner work on obd1 enough to tell the problem?(i dont have any kind of scanner)

Re: dead dakota.........still - 08/26/19 12:55 AM

How to pull codes on obd1. This video shows how, and ...........

He relies on the factory tach too much. Mine is all over the place and runs fine. He seems to focus on the cps, but briefly mentioned a possible bad speed sensor as well?

Re: dead dakota.........still - 08/26/19 02:16 AM

i know how to pull codes,just do the key 3 times thing,problem is i cant get the blinks right!!,and it never sets a code,nor does it turn on the check engine light!!!

Re: dead dakota.........still - 08/27/19 02:46 AM

i pulled the aftermarket cps,it was just long enough to be rubbing on the flex plate ,so............new mopar cps tomorrow,mopar comes with a small piece of cardboard on the tip to set the depth i guess?,aftermarket dont
im getting real good at changing these!!

Re: dead dakota.........still - 08/28/19 02:42 AM

got the new mopar CPS installed this evening,started right up,test drive 2morro,keep your fingers and toes crossed
no cardboard spacer on the new CPS

Re: dead dakota.........still - 08/29/19 02:59 AM

drove just fine today,maybe the CPS was the problem all along????????
time will tell

Re: dead dakota.........still - 08/30/19 03:08 AM

started this morning ,then died restarted and ran fine after that,so im gonna call it fixed,unless it acts up again!!

Re: dead dakota.........still - 08/31/19 03:21 AM

died this morning after about 10 minutes,did restart after setting for a minute or so

Re: dead dakota.........still - 09/01/19 03:06 AM

i pulled out the CPS today i got from my local chrysler dealer 3 days ago,it tested bad!!,what the H is goin on ???,i did not test it before install,guess i should have?looked around and found one i had replaced a year or so ago,it tested ok,put it in went for a drive,everything ok!!,i also looked over the wiring at the back on the drivers side,some of the injector wires had some cracking in them,so i applied some liquid tape (ever hear of that?)i also changed the ecm back to a used one i had,im getting really gun shy about getting more than a block away from the shop!!!
Posted By: 76440

Re: dead dakota - 09/01/19 05:57 AM

,2 of the wires hook to the auto shutdown relay and the fuel pump relay,

Did you change this auto shutdown relay or swap it with another relay?

Re: dead dakota - 09/02/19 03:04 AM

ive changed relays at least twice!,drove fine today with the old CPS,im wondering if mopar had a bad batch of them?,they are from south of texas!!

Re: dead dakota - 09/04/19 02:31 AM

Hoping you had found something. Going to look at a '94 in the morning that has an "electrical" problem. blush

Tim

Re: dead dakota - 09/08/19 02:16 PM

i really thought it was fixed!!,started and ran good for a couple of days,then died this morning,i havent installed the newest cps yet,its time for someone else to look at this thing!!!
if the system is overcharging will that cause the CPS to go bad-burnout,etc???????????

Re: dead dakota - 09/09/19 12:44 AM

Every electrical component has a voltage range within which it can safely operate. The possibility exists that a voltage spike could damage any electrical component present on your Dakota, but I would have to suspect that with as many things as you have replaced, things like the battery would have been damaged had an electrical spike been involved. Then again, one never knows what the tolerance voltage level might be for each electrical component, nor how long, or high of voltage a damaging voltage spike may have been or lasted.
I'd check this one off as a pretty wild possibility, but then again, this whole deal falls into the wild possibility situation. I've owned several Dakotas and maybe its been my fortune not to have experienced all the trouble you have experienced. My apologies go out for all the trouble you have experienced with this Dakota. I have no words of wisdom to offer. Sorry. Gene

Re: dead dakota - 09/09/19 01:36 PM

I believe it's time to sell it or do a V8 swap.
Posted By: sportfury70

Re: dead dakota - 09/09/19 09:37 PM

My dad had a 95 that would start sometimes, sometimes not. If it did it may die at any time. I dont know how he found it, but it ended up being a corroded wire on drivers side of truck. He cut out the bad area and spliced in a piece of wire and ran it over 200k. Never died again.

Re: dead dakota - 09/11/19 12:24 AM

Still sounds like the fuel pump cavitation problem I had, and others have had.
If it runs good when the weather is much colder that will be another clue.

Re: dead dakota - 09/11/19 03:22 AM

i put in a new mopar CPS today and took the truck to a shop thats said to be good at fixing things,checked the old CPS and sure enough it showed bad after 3 days???????,he said it might be 2 weeks,just about has to be a shorted wire or a corroded connection somewhere

Re: dead dakota - 09/12/19 12:36 AM

Back to the wiring? At least you have an idea which circuit to follow if it keeps taking out the CPS. Think I would start at the last point anything else is on that circuit. Good luck. Gene

Re: dead dakota - 09/12/19 03:17 AM

i talked to a long time mopar tech today,he suggested that the CPS might be touching the flexplate/flywheel causing a transfer of fine metal shavings causing a short?,also said to double check the dist under the cam sensor to see if the wheel on the main shaft was tight,and a slight possibility that the flexplate was cracked?,tho he said it would make a BIG racket,which its not!,so i might have to shim the CPS just a little bit ????

Re: dead dakota - 09/13/19 01:27 AM

i talked to a long time mopar tech today,he suggested that the CPS might be touching the flexplate/flywheel causing a transfer of fine metal shavings causing a short?,also said to double check the dist under the cam sensor to see if the wheel on the main shaft was tight,and a slight possibility that the flexplate was cracked?,tho he said it would make a BIG racket,which its not!,so i might have to shim the CPS just a little bit ????

I've never had to shim one of them. There is plenty of room to pull it up a little bit.

Re: dead dakota - 09/13/19 02:27 AM

no adjustment on a 92 3.9,it just bolts to the back of the block with 2 bolts, look it up on rockauto for a picture,i made a 30 thou shim today out of some alum flashing,time will tell

Re: dead dakota - 09/27/19 02:31 AM

I TOOK IT TO A SHOP WITH A YOUNG SMART GUY,HE SAID HE DROVE IT 15 MILES AND IT DIED,AND HE COULDNT TALK TO the computer??,so it must not be the cps??,he still has it!!
sorry for the caps!

Re: dead dakota - 09/27/19 01:29 PM

How can he "talk" to the PCM with OBD1? work All the scan tool can do is read the code(s) on OBD1, right? No data stream or other info available? shruggy

Tim

Re: dead dakota - 09/27/19 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by I_bleed_MOPAR
How can he "talk" to the PCM with OBD1? work All the scan tool can do is read the code(s) on OBD1, right? No data stream or other info available? shruggy

Tim

Nope. You are limited as to what you can see but there will be some data available with obd1

Re: dead dakota - 09/27/19 11:19 PM

up

Tim

Re: dead dakota - 09/28/19 03:32 AM

i m,ay have used the wrong wording,he said something like he couldn't get anything from the ecm,i dont remember the exact phrase,it just seems like if the ecm shows dead there must be a bad connection,corroded wire,or something overheated?,after it sets for a few minutes it will start and drive,it never shows a check engine light??

Re: dead dakota - 10/11/19 02:27 AM

went to get it today,guy said he found a loose correded connector in the ecm plug,i drove it about 10 miles and it died!,waited a couple minutes and it restarted like always,took it back to him for more work?,after all this i dont now think its the crank sensor,the ones i took out tested ok when not testing them on a metal top bench!!!!
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: dead dakota - 10/11/19 07:42 AM

Maybe i missed it but have you replaced the distributor pickup plate? We used to replace a few of them back in the day for problems like you described.

Re: dead dakota - 10/12/19 02:48 AM

yes guitar,ive replaced EVERYTHING except the temp sender,even the ign switch twice,i still lean towards the crank sensor as it will run ok for a day or so after a new one is installed,tgho the ones i remove show ok when tested on a NON metal table!!!LOL

Re: dead dakota - 10/12/19 06:44 PM

Was the lower most filter submerged in the tank replaced?

Re: dead dakota - 10/13/19 03:02 AM

its not a fuel problem,when it dies you cant get anything from the computer,as in nothing!!,let it set for a few minutes and it will start and run for a unknown amount of time,so somewhere in the great gobs of wires there is a problem!!!

Re: dead dakota - 10/13/19 02:25 PM

An Actron Scantool CP 9110 is in my opinion a reliable way to read an older OBD-I

I would not trust an OBD-II scanner that is attempting to read your older pcm.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Actron-CP-...34458746a937f4c9f7d74c57a10f83a542f6e73d

You need a Chrysler cartridge.

Re: dead dakota - 11/06/19 04:15 AM

problem still there!!,so im wondering?,would/could a bad 02 sensor cause the computer to shut the engine down?,also what about the temp sensor?sometimes it wont die at all,other times it dies xand wont restart for a while(time varies)
as im far from a young man id like to be able to drive this again before they throw dirt in my face!!!

Re: dead dakota - 11/06/19 01:49 PM

problem still there!!,so im wondering?,would/could a bad 02 sensor cause the computer to shut the engine down?,also what about the temp sensor?sometimes it wont die at all,other times it dies xand wont restart for a while(time varies)
as im far from a young man id like to be able to drive this again before they throw dirt in my face!!!

We replaced both those parts on the wife's Ramcharger before we gave up on it. Hers would run badly and stall, NOT be running fine and die.

Robert

Re: dead dakota - 11/07/19 12:20 PM

If it is a dirty bottom most fuel filter submerged in the tank causing sudden cavitation,
then on a very cold winter day the truck will run for a longer time before suddenly dying
because the gasoline started cold and gradually warms up as fuel recirculation happens.

If it is an electrical fault
like a cracked wire killing power to the PCM due to vibration,
road jolts,
or warming up copper conductors,
then hot versus cold weather will have little effect on time run before dying.

If a fuel pressure gauge is plumbed in the pressure will show within normal range, then very suddenly drop to near zero psi.

If I were troubleshooting the truck’s problem I would be convinced by now that I needed an electrical multimeter that could record maximum and minimum voltages and currents, plus a fuel pressure sensor that this recording multimeter could be hooked to.

If you are REALLY intent on fixing this Dakota,
perhaps you should buy/borrow a same year Dakota and just begin swapping parts?

Tackling the recording multimeter methods with a fuel pressure sensor would eventually find the problem
but you have to be willing to learn how to use that equipment.
Once you learn those electrical tricks you can use them to fix vast numbers of things.

Re: dead dakota - 11/10/19 02:23 PM

Distant cousin? It seems you're not alone.........

1996 Dakota on Craigslist

[Linked Image]

"If you have never fixed anything on a vehicle, This truck is NOT for you !!!

This truck is only for someone who knows how to fix things and is good at finding the issues, and solving problems.

About the Truck:

139k miles. Clean title. But battle tested. Some hail damages, wounds, since 1996.

1. Almost all sensors are new, the MAP sensor, TPS sensor, IAC sensor, Oil press sensor, Coolant Temperature sensor, Engine Air Temperature sensor, Throttle Position sensor, O2 sensor.

2. New fuel pump, new distributor cap and new spark plugs and cables, new ignition coil,pickup coil, fuel injectors, new EGR valve, new catalytic converter, new muffler... New front crome bumper...New radiator, New Battery...

3. An extra ECM, or the computer of the truck programed with the same VIN number of the truck.

This truck is almost with all new components in the Truck!!!

Why have I changed so many parts?
because I am a dummy, and an optimist. I think I can fix things just by Google search and YouTube video, except I couldn't find out the real problems, I just started changing parts I thought would solve the problem.

Now, I realized I am no auto mechanic, and it's time to hand over the truck to an expert to bring it to its glorious days.

Now about the issues with the truck:

The good part:

1. This truck runs !!! AC/Heater works perfectly.

2. The original radio, cassette player works perfectly.

3. No leaking of oil, super clean engine bay under the hood! Clean interiors.

4. 6.5ft bed, with an after market backup camera.

The problems:
1. This truck dies, sometimes at traffic lights, sometimes in the morning idling after it was started. Some times it starts right back, sometimes not.

2. When it won't restart, I switch the ECM, it's good again. And after a while, like a few days, the symptoms come back. So I just switch to the other ECM.

3. There is no check engine light at all!!! This is the mystery!!!

4. Then someone said, it might be the vacuum line, so I changed some hoses.
But it still not solved the problem.

The only thing I didn't have the will to do is the electrical wiring, too daunting for me... But I did tied all the ground together...

Now, it's time for you to give it a try !!!

The list price won't even cover the parts I put in the truck. But I'll be super glad if someone can find the problem and fix it for good. It might last another 100,000miles afterwards. Who knows.

Thanks for your interest in solving this mystery!!!
"

Re: dead dakota - 11/11/19 04:27 AM

sounds like mine!!
i talked to the guy who is working on my truck yesterday,he said when it dies it looses all ability to get any codes from the computer,there is one of the wires that provide power to a part of the computer that acts as memory,the way he explained it was like your radio that remembers your preset stations etc,sometimes it will start and drive and not die,next time it wont start,then later it starts right up,i suggested that he run jumper wires to both the power and the grounds,he said he didnt want to jerry rig it,to which i said its not a new cadillac,just make it run!!

Re: dead dakota - 11/11/19 04:29 AM

i wonder if the guy with the 96 changed out the crank sensor?
Posted By: jerseybud

Re: dead dakota - 11/11/19 11:35 PM

Wiring harness would be suspicious based on my experience with my 92 w250, my 93 w150, and my brothers 92 dakota. The first 2 had severe corrosion at the common splice for the crank sensor and o2. This splice sits right above the transmission and is wrapped and not visible. Every single harness I've taken apart from this vintage has needed it cut out and repaired/soldered.
Your mechanics findings would suggest other wiring issues, but my point is that next step is to take the engine harness out and untape it and inspect every joint and splice.

Re: dead dakota - 11/20/19 03:42 AM

i talked to my guy today,he said he changed the ecm and has been driving it for a few days and all is well,i told him to keep it for a while longer,last thing i want is to get it back and have it die on me!!

Re: dead dakota - 11/26/19 03:22 AM

i got it back 2day,drove about 30 miles,didnt die,but check engine light came on,basically he changed the computer for one i had on it before,after he cleaned one terminal out of the 60!! that showed some corrosion
i might buy another ecm just to feel safe?,part number 56028741,appears to be 1992 only?
Posted By: hp383

Re: dead dakota - 01/20/20 10:22 PM

I had a very similar issue with my 92 Dakota.

After months of frustration, checking codes, checking wires, changing parts, I stumbled upon an old TSB for the bronze bushing the oil pump drive shaft rides in.

Seems the early Magnums has a bad batch of bushings, and they would wear, allowing the distributor shaft and timing to fluctuate. If the timing gets too far out, the CPS doesn't get the correct signal, and it triggers the ASD relay.

I replaced the oil pump intermediate shaft, and bushing, and have had 6 years of dependable service from the old Dakota.

I had none of the surging, or noises, the TSB mentions, but my bushing was extremely warn, even the teeth on the drive gear had a knife like edge ground down when compared to the new drive gear.

Check the diagnosis section in the TSB, its an easy test with twisting the rotor.

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1993/18-08-93.htm
© 2024 Moparts Forums