Moparts

chronic brake problems

Posted By: rich006

chronic brake problems - 03/07/19 12:51 AM

Another question on my "new" 1989 D100. On the one-hour trip home from the previous owner's house, it was pretty clear there is a warped rotor or something (grinding sound and dragging feel during part of every wheel revolution). That was not the case when I test-drove it 10 days ago. Looking through the maintenance records from the previous owner, I see the following brake work.

Dec 2011 "pulls when braking" - replaced front pads/rotors
Jan 2012 left front caliper locked up - replaced caliper
Apr 2014 left front caliper smoking, right rear leak - replaced both front calipers and rear brake lines
Jun 2015 replaced both rear wheel cylinders
Sep 2015 cleaned/adjusted rear brakes
Mar 2016 replaced rear shoes and drums
Mar 2016 (two weeks later) replaced front brake hoses and right front caliper
Mar 2018 replaced rear shoes, hardware, and adjusting cable

This all occurred between 78K and 93K miles. Surely too much to be coincidence, right? What causes chronic brake problems?
Posted By: poorboy

Re: chronic brake problems - 03/07/19 01:30 AM

A truck that spends most of its time just sitting around. will have brake issues. If they don't get driven, lots of brake issues turn up because, not being used is really rough on calipers, rotors, wheel cylinders, shoes and drums.

It also sounds like the po only did the bare minimum to keep it rolling. Why would you do the front brakes without looking at the rear brakes at the same time, unless money was tight, or you didn't want to spend it? Gene
Posted By: basketcase

Re: chronic brake problems - 03/07/19 12:05 PM

replaced calibers three times in four years? I've been running D/W series trucks since 1985, have yet to replace a caliber yet.Might be the junk Chinese parts. And I've done the few parts at a time...family takes priority, so you can't always do a complete job at once.
Posted By: poorboy

Re: chronic brake problems - 03/08/19 05:10 AM

Looking down the list again, he probably solved the caliper problem when he changed what may have been the original front brake hose with the last caliper.
I did notice he only replaced the one front hose. Wonder what the other front hose looks like, and what the rear hose looks like..... Gene
Posted By: bboogieart

Re: chronic brake problems - 03/08/19 10:57 AM

Yep.
I agree,
Should replace existing old hoses.

Posted By: rich006

Re: chronic brake problems - 03/13/19 11:56 PM

Turns out all the brake components are fine, but the parking brake cable was binding on a frame bracket. Easy fix--but probably a gripe that would never occur on a frequently driven truck.
Posted By: bboogieart

Re: chronic brake problems - 03/14/19 11:42 PM

Wow,
Wouldn't have guessed.
I bet it's an automatic.
Rarely is the E brake ever used as long as the park pawl holds up.
This is why we shouldn't just throw parts at problems.
Glad you got it sussed out. up
Posted By: Doc Schwarz

Re: chronic brake problems - 03/19/19 10:44 AM

My problem with my 1977 ramcharger was the plastic pistons.
Every six months had to rebuild the calipers.
Finally put a steel pistons in them and all was solved.
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: chronic brake problems - 03/19/19 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by poorboy
Looking down the list again, he probably solved the caliper problem when he changed what may have been the original front brake hose with the last caliper.
I did notice he only replaced the one front hose. Wonder what the other front hose looks like, and what the rear hose looks like..... Gene
True about the rear hose. Could be collapsing too.
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: chronic brake problems - 03/19/19 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by rich006
Turns out all the brake components are fine, but the parking brake cable was binding on a frame bracket. Easy fix--but probably a gripe that would never occur on a frequently driven truck.
Glad you found the issue!! up
© 2024 Moparts Forums