Moparts

Question on manual steering and wheel width

Posted By: 68_661charger

Question on manual steering and wheel width - 12/10/18 07:49 PM

I have a 77 D100 with manual steering and 5.5" or 6" rims. If I switch to a 7" rim with the same size tire there shouldnt be much difference in steering effort right? Also is an 8" rim with wider tire too much for manual steering?
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Question on manual steering and wheel width - 12/10/18 08:00 PM

Wheel width is going to have an almost unmeasurable effect on steering effort compared to tire width. At least as long as wheels and tires are of compatible sizes to begin with.

Re: Question on manual steering and wheel width - 12/11/18 02:03 AM

I figured so on the same tire size. Thanks!
Posted By: poorboy

Re: Question on manual steering and wheel width - 12/11/18 05:02 AM

That is not entirely true. If the wheel backspacing remains at the same ratio (the distance between the mounting surface and the center of the wheel is the same), a 1" change in the width won't have a lot of effect.

If the backspacing stays the same inches of measurement, or decreases in inches( the wheel center moves outward from the mounting surface), there will be more steering effort required to turn the wheels with slow vehicle speed. The more the wheels are moved outward from the mounting surface, the more the steering effort will increase. The difference in steering effort may not be very noticeable if the outward movement of the wheel is small. Gene

Re: Question on manual steering and wheel width - 12/11/18 02:07 PM

That makes sense. I just wont go overboard. Thanks!
© 2024 Moparts Forums