Moparts

Power steering into an A 100

Posted By: 2002bluert

Power steering into an A 100 - 07/15/18 08:17 AM

Hello I was wondering if anyone has put power steering into a A 100?
Posted By: RodStRace

Re: Power steering into an A 100 - 07/20/18 03:19 AM

Factory had a Power assist system (think power ram on linkage, not integral box). Kind of like this FERD system

https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hmn/2011/08/Power-Steering-Cylinders/3702381.html

I got all the pieces with one of my buys, but it's not something I want to restore and add to any of my projects. Getting someone to rebuild and finding parts would be a big issue.
The typical manual steering is designed for skinny wheels and tires at around town speeds. If you want to add P/S for wide tires, big offsets or something else past the original design, you are going to just wear out or break stuff faster. The typical newer owner wants lowering, better brakes, better steering and better suspension. If this is you, consider a complete front replacement.
No kits that I'm aware of, but I've seen fabricated Mustang II IFS in various early vans. They have a cross member very low in front to keep the geometry correct. More recent swaps include Crown Vic IFS.
Posted By: mopwrd340

Re: Power steering into an A 100 - 07/20/18 06:56 AM

Some newer cars have electric p/s some hot rod builds have also used this set up who sells this stuff i don't know but worth looking into .
Posted By: Truck Y'all !

Re: Power steering into an A 100 - 07/20/18 04:19 PM

Somebody has come out with a kit to adapt a Toyota (I think) steering box to a pre-'72 D100. Not sure if any of those parts would help you in your quest or not.

As per RodStRace, I have walked the hot, dusty road of parts procurement, rebuild and install of a D300 power steering (assist, actually) system. It's not alot of fun. Not much benefit compared to a "real" system but it is a big improvement in a big truck.

For my A100, I just suffer along wink
Posted By: Soopernaut

Re: Power steering into an A 100 - 07/20/18 04:48 PM

CPP has a kit for Sweptline trucks. The A100/108 is different when it comes to steering because of the position of the column in relation to the axle. It uses a different steering gear so the kit probably wouldn't work.
Posted By: mgoblue9798

Re: Power steering into an A 100 - 07/21/18 08:55 PM

Based on the angles involved, maybe a late Ram Van 1500 steering box could be a retrofit?
Posted By: savoy64

Re: Power steering into an A 100 - 07/22/18 12:07 AM

there is a 4 wheel drive setup that uses a modern hydraulic ram that is better than the old power ram add on things that rodstrace mentioned....
© 2024 Moparts Forums