Moparts

Side Steps

Posted By: DusterKid

Side Steps - 03/15/18 04:13 PM

Just purchased a 17 Ram 2500 and need to put some side steps on it. Am looking at the Lund, Rapter and Westin brands. Would like a frame mounted style and look like a Mopar factory style (they are about twice as much). Anyone have any experience with any of these?
Posted By: sabbfan

Re: Side Steps - 03/15/18 05:17 PM

I have the chrome Raptors with black rubber inserts where you step, they extend to the rear tire. Very sturdy, they don’t flex when I’m standing on them. Great for getting in the bed of the truck. Look good too.
Posted By: Tones21

Re: Side Steps - 03/16/18 03:42 PM

Go for Westin.
Posted By: 70Duster440

Re: Side Steps - 03/17/18 03:19 AM

Not what you're looking at but if you'd like something a little different, my friend manufactures these: https://www.spyderindustries.com/collections/side-steps
Posted By: Evil Spirit

Re: Side Steps - 03/18/18 05:43 AM

Originally Posted By 70Duster440
Not what you're looking at but if you'd like something a little different, my friend manufactures these: https://www.spyderindustries.com/collections/side-steps

Those are nice looking steps.
Posted By: poorboy

Re: Side Steps - 03/20/18 02:57 AM

Look into how and what the kits install to. A lot of the newer running board kits mount with the body mount bolts. Its great when they are new, but not so good if there is a problem a few years down the road and they need to be removed for any reason. The body mount bolts tend to break rather then loosen, especially if there is any rust involved. Gene
Posted By: Evil Spirit

Re: Side Steps - 03/24/18 07:42 AM

Originally Posted By poorboy
Look into how and what the kits install to. A lot of the newer running board kits mount with the body mount bolts. Its great when they are new, but not so good if there is a problem a few years down the road and they need to be removed for any reason. The body mount bolts tend to break rather then loosen, especially if there is any rust involved. Gene

Good point. You are at the mercy of the installer as to how anything comes back apart. Good mechanics take the little bit of extra time to never seize bolts upon assembly - hacks don't.
© 2024 Moparts Forums