Moparts

Looking for advise on 413 head swap 65 crew cab Power wagon!

Posted By: RUMBLON

Looking for advise on 413 head swap 65 crew cab Power wagon! - 12/23/17 05:33 AM

I am buying this 65 crew cab. Its originaly a 318 rig. Been sitting since 1992. Has a swappedcout 413. Im thinking 440 top end like 906 heads new water pump intake carb and Maybe C body HP manifolds. ?

Im also looking to change it to power steering. Want to build an around town driver. I live in the hills.

Opinions?

Thx Dave.

Re: Looking for advise on 413 head swap 65 crew cab Power wagon! - 12/23/17 05:35 AM

Some pics

Attached picture IMG_1558.JPG
Attached picture IMG_1563.JPG
Attached picture IMG_1561.JPG
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Looking for advise on 413 head swap 65 crew cab Power wagon! - 12/23/17 07:05 AM

I love it. The top end swap shouldn't be too bad. The power steering will certainly be something else though. Good luck with that.
Posted By: sportfury70

Re: Looking for advise on 413 head swap 65 crew cab Power wagon! - 12/23/17 05:30 PM

Sounds like way too much work involved. Don't bother with it & sell it...to me! grin
Looks like a good solid truck & will be really cool truck when it up & running.
Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: Looking for advise on 413 head swap 65 crew cab Power wagon! - 12/23/17 09:31 PM

Looks like a "Truck/Industrial" motor (as in not passenger car/PU)Im not certain but I don't think its as easy as a upper end change over...
Ramchargercentrail
Posted By: Chris Johnson

Re: Looking for advise on 413 head swap 65 crew cab Power wagon! - 12/24/17 03:27 AM

Originally Posted By W.I.N. racing
Looks like a "Truck/Industrial" motor (as in not passenger car/PU)Im not certain but I don't think its as easy as a upper end change over...
Ramchargercentrail

For sure it is a truck/industrial 413. I have one that I rebuilt .030" over and put it in a Dakota with the industrial heads and all. I too want to eventually swap over to 452 or 906 heads, but haven't had the time. The 413's are still just an RB block so "normal" heads and water pumps will mount to them. Just be aware that these are low compression motors with dish pistons so putting on 906 heads will lower your compression ratio, that way I wanted to go 452 closed chamber heads to help offset that.

My 413:

Attached picture 413.jpg
Attached picture 413 dak.jpg
Attached picture 413 Dakota.jpg
Posted By: JDMopar

Re: Looking for advise on 413 head swap 65 crew cab Power wagon! - 12/24/17 06:56 PM

452 heads might work better for what you want. Same ports as 906's, but if I remember right....they have hardened valve seats. The PS might be the harder issue to remedy. I had a 70 model D200 2wd truck, that had PS. The steering box was about as big as your fist, and it had this thing that looked like a shock with 10 PS lines hood to the drag link. I don't know if 4wd trucks have the same setup or not? shruggy The PS was the only reason I sold that truck. It leaked like a sieve, and had about a half a round of slack....and I couldn't find any parts to fix it. Looks like a nice old more door truck to fix up....so good luck! up
Posted By: basketcase

Re: Looking for advise on 413 head swap 65 crew cab Power wagon! - 12/24/17 11:03 PM

great truck!
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Looking for advise on 413 head swap 65 crew cab Power wagon! - 12/26/17 09:00 AM

Not trying to hijack this thread but I'm putting a 440 motor together for customer who will install it in a 1972/76 era W200 4x4 that ended up with a rear sump truck or Class a motor home oil pan with the external dipstick tube and dipstick and I don't have any idea what the oil capacity is, can any of you help me on this help
Thanks in advance up
OP, that motor is NOT out of Imperial, it is a truck, motor home or industrial 413 motor thumbs
I'm starting to put one of those motors using block and crankshaft only with the crankshaft offset ground down to 2.200 and increasing the stroke to 3.91 up
It's getting hot tanked and magnafluxed now and if it passes and has no cracks I will have it bored to 4.250 and make a pump gas motor with a set of 440 Source aluminum heads on it for my 1963 Plymouth Fury boogie
Posted By: Red383

Re: Looking for advise on 413 head swap 65 crew cab Power wagon! - 12/26/17 05:56 PM

I'd get it running the way it is, and drive it. That's where I am going to start on my 65. If it's just going to be an around town driver, that 413 should do just fine to start. You can always upgrade it later.
Posted By: BIGGERED

Re: Looking for advise on 413 head swap 65 crew cab Power wagon! - 12/27/17 02:57 AM

There was a great article about adding power steering to a power wagon years ago in the power wagon advertiser.

If you need that info for reference please pm me

Red
Posted By: Blown_Hemi

Re: Looking for advise on 413 head swap 65 crew cab Power wagon! - 12/27/17 04:23 PM

Originally Posted By Cab_Burge
Not trying to hijack this thread but I'm putting a 440 motor together for customer who will install it in a 1972/76 era W200 4x4 that ended up with a rear sump truck or Class a motor home oil pan with the external dipstick tube and dipstick and I don't have any idea what the oil capacity is, can any of you help me on this help
Thanks in advance up
OP, that motor is NOT out of Imperial, it is a truck, motor home or industrial 413 motor thumbs
I'm starting to put one of those motors using block and crankshaft only with the crankshaft offset ground down to 2.200 and increasing the stroke to 3.91 up
It's getting hot tanked and magnafluxed now and if it passes and has no cracks I will have it bored to 4.250 and make a pump gas motor with a set of 440 Source aluminum heads on it for my 1963 Plymouth Fury boogie

Should be a 6 quart pan. Here is what I did when I needed to install the bung for the external dipstick on my Milodon 8 quart pan. Filled pan with 8 quarts of water and measured the water level from pan rail, marked dip stick tube at the full level and marked where bung needed to be welded in.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Looking for advise on 413 head swap 65 crew cab Power wagon! - 12/27/17 08:18 PM

I'm not sure if this pan is a 440 motor home pan or a 413 truck pan confused
I called one of the local auto repair shops that has a on line subscription to either Mitchells or motor manual information, he found that the 440 motor home pan hold 6 quarts and the 413 motor homes and trucks hold 8 quarts work
Thanks for your help up

Re: Looking for advise on 413 head swap 65 crew cab Power wagon! - 01/19/18 07:13 PM

Thx for the advise
© 2024 Moparts Forums