Moparts

Disconnecting Ammeter (precautionary)

Posted By: larrymopar360

Disconnecting Ammeter (precautionary) - 07/27/17 12:54 AM

I've been advised to "bypass" the Ammeter in my newly purchased '79 Power Wagon as they are a fire hazard, or at least melt the dash hazard. I do recall hearing this before, I believe possibly on other Mopars. I'd really like to still have the gauge in the pod for looks. I have not opened up the dash yet, but am about to as I have purchased NOS gauges to replace faded ones and the typical broken speedometer needle. I want to do everything at once while I have dash apart, and I am wondering if there's a wire or two I can snip on the Ammeter behind face plate, and still have it plugged into the pod for the sake of looks?

Thanks.
Posted By: moparmarks

Re: Disconnecting Ammeter (precautionary) - 07/27/17 01:03 AM

Just put both the red and black wires under the same post of the meter. Bypasses the meter and maintains a closed circuit. No cutting, no splicing, no problems.
Might want to add a voltmeter on the bottom of the dash or someplace. Can tap off of the same post of the ammeter that the two wires are on for the hot lead to the voltmeter. Then just ground the other voltmeter lead.

Re: Disconnecting Ammeter (precautionary) - 07/27/17 02:20 AM

Thank you moparmarks. I was thinking of adding voltmeter in a semi-discrete place (I like the clean stock look) so I will do as you advise with wire.

Thanks again for valuable information.

Larry
Posted By: moparmarks

Re: Disconnecting Ammeter (precautionary) - 07/27/17 04:59 AM

No problem.
Posted By: adventurer

Re: Disconnecting Ammeter (precautionary) - 07/27/17 06:27 AM

Originally Posted By larrymopar360
Thank you moparmarks. I was thinking of adding voltmeter in a semi-discrete place (I like the clean stock look) so I will do as you advise with wire.

Thanks again for valuable information.

Larry

For a stock look add the factory voltage and vacuum gauge to the left side of your dash. There is set on eBay right now (not mine) a bit pricey if you look around at swap meets you will find a deal on a set of gauges. twocents
Posted By: therocks

Re: Disconnecting Ammeter (precautionary) - 07/27/17 07:01 PM

I opwend a lot of them I disconnected the amp gauge on all of them.Then used a volt meter.Just as said disconnect the battery.Pull the gaue palen for it and disconnect the wires.I just used a screw and nut then taped the heck ouy ot them and put it all back.Never a problem You can also put both on one side of the gauge.Rocky
Posted By: bboogieart

Re: Disconnecting Ammeter (precautionary) - 07/29/17 06:02 PM

You want stock, you got stock.
I see no reason to by pass that gauge.
Just make sure your connections are clean and solid.
Don't forget the bulk head connections.
As long as all is well the system works fine.
Just one mans opinion.

Re: Disconnecting Ammeter (precautionary) - 07/29/17 08:09 PM

Adventurer I will check out ebay, thanks. I've only looked at NOS Ammeter for the new unfaded needle.

therocks; thanks for your info.

bboogieart: I've just heard of too many melted housings on these trucks. It worries me to leave it connected, even with clean connections. I don't think the stock Ammeter really does me much good anyhow. Every old Mopar I've had that had an issue, I noticed dimming headlights or dash lights before the Ammeter gave me a warning. I do thank you for your opinion though.
Posted By: adventurer

Re: Disconnecting Ammeter (precautionary) - 08/02/17 12:21 PM

There is a volts and vacuum gauge pod for sale in the truck parts section on this site (not mine), Just thought I would point it out to you so you could see what one looks like. The bezels were also made in wood grain finish also in case that is how your dash is.

Re: Disconnecting Ammeter (precautionary) - 08/03/17 01:43 AM

Originally Posted By adventurer
There is a volts and vacuum gauge pod for sale in the truck parts section on this site (not mine), Just thought I would point it out to you so you could see what one looks like. The bezels were also made in wood grain finish also in case that is how your dash is.
I checked it out. Nice. Mine is not woodgrain. Thanks for pointing it out for me to check out.

Re: Disconnecting Ammeter (precautionary) - 08/03/17 02:08 AM

Here's mine. Still haven't had a chance to replace broken speedometer and other gauges with the NOS ones I have, and bypass ammeter.

Attached picture PWdash.jpg

Re: Disconnecting Ammeter (precautionary) - 08/20/17 06:22 PM

Originally Posted By moparmarks
Just put both the red and black wires under the same post of the meter. Bypasses the meter and maintains a closed circuit. No cutting, no splicing, no problems.
Might want to add a voltmeter on the bottom of the dash or someplace. Can tap off of the same post of the ammeter that the two wires are on for the hot lead to the voltmeter. Then just ground the other voltmeter lead.
Got side-tracked with engine stuff, so just getting around to this. Here's a NOS one I'm looking at. I don't see any wires. Are they hidden in pic? It's the only pic of back from seller.

Attached picture ammeter.jpg
Posted By: 77ProStreet

Re: Disconnecting Ammeter (precautionary) - 08/20/17 09:50 PM

The wires are the wiring from your truck, they connect to those posts. I have done this on several trucks, I just snip the ends and solder them together and wrap with heat shrink. Bypass it all!
Posted By: T2R9

Re: Disconnecting Ammeter (precautionary) - 08/20/17 10:42 PM

I converted mine to a volt gauge. I used a Sunpro CP7985 which fit right in the cluster. The studs were shorter than the amp gauge so I used a step drill to open up the holes and wired the 12V and ground.

Attached picture IMG_0694.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0695.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0779 (Medium).JPG

Re: Disconnecting Ammeter (precautionary) - 08/21/17 12:14 AM

T2R9: Thank you so much for info and pics! Perfect. Looks good and I appreciate the part number too!

Larry

Re: Disconnecting Ammeter (precautionary) - 08/21/17 12:54 AM

Originally Posted By 77ProStreet
The wires are the wiring from your truck, they connect to those posts. I have done this on several trucks, I just snip the ends and solder them together and wrap with heat shrink. Bypass it all!
Thank you. If I don't do what T2R9 did right away, I'll at least do this until I do so I don't melt anything in the mean time. I do like what he did so I'll probably do that eventually anyway. up

Larry
Posted By: ahy

Re: Disconnecting Ammeter (precautionary) - 08/22/17 01:45 AM

Have you bypassed charge current through the bulkhead connector yet? That is the weakest link in the system.

Ammeter connections are a weak link but not as much as the bulkhead connector.

True story... on a '74 D200 the bulkhead connector lasted until about year 5. Then melted. Emergency bypass lasted until year 20 when the truck was retired due to frame rust. The ammeter connections lasted the life of the truck.

If the alternator and electrical loads are stock, the ammeter should be OK with thoroughly cleaned and tightened and greased connections. If you have increased loads or alternator output or both, best to bypass the ammeter also IMO.

A nice heavy wire from alternator output to the fender relay bypasses both. Fusible link 2 gauge sizes smaller than the bypass wire recommended. A voltmeter is needed with this bypass as the ammeter will not be functional.
Posted By: earlymopar

Re: Disconnecting Ammeter (precautionary) - 08/22/17 02:25 PM

Do you have pictures of your truck that uses this method? Not to hijack this thread but I think it would be helpful to others too. I'm in the process of swapping a poly 318 for the original slant 6 in my 1965 Series I and have upgraded to a mini-Denso alternator that has more amperage than my original alternator so have been planning for an upgrade to by-pass the amp gauge and bulk head connector.

Thanks, -EM

" A nice heavy wire from alternator output to the fender relay bypasses both. Fusible link 2 gauge sizes smaller than the bypass wire recommended. A voltmeter is needed with this bypass as the ammeter will not be functional"

Re: Disconnecting Ammeter (precautionary) - 08/22/17 07:06 PM

Originally Posted By ahy
Have you bypassed charge current through the bulkhead connector yet? That is the weakest link in the system.

Ammeter connections are a weak link but not as much as the bulkhead connector.

True story... on a '74 D200 the bulkhead connector lasted until about year 5. Then melted. Emergency bypass lasted until year 20 when the truck was retired due to frame rust. The ammeter connections lasted the life of the truck.

If the alternator and electrical loads are stock, the ammeter should be OK with thoroughly cleaned and tightened and greased connections. If you have increased loads or alternator output or both, best to bypass the ammeter also IMO.

A nice heavy wire from alternator output to the fender relay bypasses both. Fusible link 2 gauge sizes smaller than the bypass wire recommended. A voltmeter is needed with this bypass as the ammeter will not be functional.
Very interesting information. No, I have not done anything electrical yet. Truck leaking bigtime from freeze plugs so have been concentrating on engine. If you could post pics, I also would be VERY appreciative! Thanks again.
Posted By: ahy

Re: Disconnecting Ammeter (precautionary) - 08/23/17 12:38 AM

I will bring my camera home from work tommorrw and take a pic of the bypass setup described in a '70 Challenger.

Re: Disconnecting Ammeter (precautionary) - 08/23/17 01:37 PM

Thanks ahy. Also interested in what you used at the firewall. I have seen the double-sided studs that are isolated by a grommet that look like a nice way to do the pass-through. The MAD electric method just had me cringing. It may work but looked like hell.

- EM
Posted By: Mr onetwo

Re: Disconnecting Ammeter (precautionary) - 08/23/17 02:57 PM

some good reading here http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?topic=33574.0

Attached picture 1 wiring upgrade.jpg
Attached picture parallel.jpg

Re: Disconnecting Ammeter (precautionary) - 08/23/17 08:44 PM

I have to admit I don't have enough electrical knowledge to follow this. I hope I can print this out and bring it to an auto electric shop and have them help me, at a cost of course. Or, just do what T2R9 did with the Sunpro gauge. I don't want to be a hack with the truck either. But his solution seems good.

Re: Disconnecting Ammeter (precautionary) - 08/23/17 10:03 PM

Diagram "B" is the Mad Electric Ammeter by-pass.....

The lower schematic is the parallel circuit method that retains the OEM Ammeter. This was something that has been recommended over the Diagram "B" by-pass by member "Nacho" on another site.

- EM

Re: Disconnecting Ammeter (precautionary) - 08/24/17 12:01 AM

So as I continue to educate myself on the trucks, I find that 72 thru early 75 trucks had a metal gauge pod frame, so no melting could occur. Maybe that's a good solution for inside the truck anyway. I see some on ebay. Pricey, but I plan on keeping this truck forever.
Posted By: T2R9

Re: Disconnecting Ammeter (precautionary) - 08/24/17 12:18 AM

Diagram B is exactly what I did on my truck. The volt gauge is just using 12v from the fuse box and a chassis ground.

The Red/Black splice near the ammeter is just the two ammeter wires disconnected and tied to together. Where they come through the bulkhead connector is just removing the connector and using a continuous wire through it. The bypass is just a wire run from the Alt + terminal to the starter relay + terminal.

The mad link above is pretty easy to follow. The key is making good connections. If the wire looks questionable replace it.

Re: Disconnecting Ammeter (precautionary) - 08/24/17 01:18 AM

Originally Posted By T2R9
Diagram B is exactly what I did on my truck. The volt gauge is just using 12v from the fuse box and a chassis ground.

The Red/Black splice near the ammeter is just the two ammeter wires disconnected and tied to together. Where they come through the bulkhead connector is just removing the connector and using a continuous wire through it. The bypass is just a wire run from the Alt + terminal to the starter relay + terminal.

The mad link above is pretty easy to follow. The key is making good connections. If the wire looks questionable replace it.
B looks simple enough for even ME to follow. I like the Sunpro you used too. I read that even the temp controls can melt the plastic pod too. I just bought a metal framed gauge pod on feebay. Ouch, pricey, but this truck is staying with me forever and I love it. Still going to do diagram B like you did. Thanks man.

Re: Disconnecting Ammeter (precautionary) - 08/24/17 01:30 AM

Borrowed from mopartruckparts.com

Attached picture plastic-vs-metal-instr-cluster.jpg

Re: Disconnecting Ammeter (precautionary) - 08/29/17 01:29 AM

Apparently the lower diagram method is exactly what Mopar did to get around the connector / ammeter melting problem once it was discovered. In other words, this is the factory work around and allows you to retain the stock ammeter and run a volt meter if you want.

- EM
Posted By: Mattax

Re: Disconnecting Ammeter (precautionary) - 08/29/17 04:16 AM

Originally Posted By earlymopar
Diagram "B" is the Mad Electric Ammeter by-pass.....

The lower schematic is the parallel circuit method that retains the OEM Ammeter. This was something that has been recommended over the Diagram "B" by-pass by member "Nacho" on another site.

- EM

Yes. Exactly. NachoRT is on moparts too, just doesn't check the Jeep/Truck forum often.

The Parallel Circuit is simply a second wire from the battery, and a second wire from the alternator run in parallel with the original wires.

If you find that illustration confusing, start here -
http://www.heritech.org/cuda/Charge.html
Then you can decide what you want to do.

Re: Disconnecting Ammeter (precautionary) - 08/29/17 06:50 PM

Originally Posted By earlymopar
Apparently the lower diagram method is exactly what Mopar did to get around the connector / ammeter melting problem once it was discovered. In other words, this is the factory work around and allows you to retain the stock ammeter and run a volt meter if you want.

- EM
Actually, the metal base ones were on the pre late '75 model year trucks. Sometime early '75, in an effort to lighten things more they went to the plastic ones. You have to search for the older trucks to find one of the metal ones to buy.

Re: Disconnecting Ammeter (precautionary) - 08/29/17 10:52 PM

Even though he (earlymopar) posted right after you posted that photo, he's talking about the diagrams back in post #2358481 - 08/23/17 08:57 AM.

To be clear, I'm not aware of a parallel wired circuit from the factory. Chrysler normally ran the Battery and Alternator wires to the bulkhead connectors. In some heavy duty applications, they ran those wires through the firewall. This eliminated any possibility of poor connection or higher resistance at the Packard 56 bulkhead connectors.

Description: Parallel Charge Circuit Wires. Redrawn for clarity.
Attached picture parallel-redrawn.JPG

Re: Disconnecting Ammeter (precautionary) - 08/29/17 11:24 PM

Mattax; If I had read with a little more care, I would have seen he wrote diagram frown . My fault. Thank you.

Re: Disconnecting Ammeter (precautionary) - 08/30/17 03:01 AM

No problem. I think we've all done that.. beer
© 2024 Moparts Forums