Moparts

1978 D150 or Lil Red Express grill hardware

Posted By: igozumn

1978 D150 or Lil Red Express grill hardware - 06/06/17 10:21 PM

Putting a puzzle back together that did not take apart. Do the screws (whatever they may be) that hold the grill on, screw into the filler/fender/core support or do they have clips that they screw into? I know the marker lights have clips on the grill, but not sure if the grill itself is just screws, or screws and clips.
Posted By: 77ProStreet

Re: 1978 D150 or Lil Red Express grill hardware - 06/07/17 07:03 AM

Yes they screw into the core support, no clips needed

Re: 1978 D150 or Lil Red Express grill hardware - 06/07/17 05:39 PM

Picked up some #12 screws and they still don't fit the holes very well. Found what I believe to be the bag/bottle with whatever grill hardware was on it and there's no way the stuff is remotely correct. I'm thinking we need to shrink/dolly the holes closed for the right hardware, or close hardware. There's a local Mopar show this weekend, so may have to investigate closely if something shows up.
Posted By: basketcase

Re: 1978 D150 or Lil Red Express grill hardware - 06/07/17 10:22 PM

where the top of the grill is attached to the rad support, the screws go directly into the core support. where the lower part of the grill goes into the filler between the fenders, above the bumper, there are nylon blocks the screws go into.

Re: 1978 D150 or Lil Red Express grill hardware - 06/07/17 10:33 PM

Screw holes up top look to be about a #8. #10 screw wouldn't fit. Down on the filler, there are only round holes. Are the nylon blocks round, more like a sleeve? He has a Xerox copy of the '78 parts book, but is missing some pages. Will have to look tonight to see if the grill pages are there.

Re: 1978 D150 or Lil Red Express grill hardware - 06/08/17 01:59 PM

Grill pages missing in his parts book.
Posted By: BIGGERED

Re: 1978 D150 or Lil Red Express grill hardware - 06/09/17 12:08 AM

Maybe what you are looking for may be found here?

Attached picture image.jpeg
Attached picture image.jpeg

Re: 1978 D150 or Lil Red Express grill hardware - 06/09/17 05:09 AM

Thanks. No part number shown for the screws. Having worked in Ford parts for 18 years, nothing surprises me anymore, LOL.
Posted By: Ramtough

Re: 1978 D150 or Lil Red Express grill hardware - 06/11/17 04:13 AM

On the parts sheet right at the top, item "1" - retainer - 10 Required.
they are #8 Chrome screws, Pan head, about 1 1/4 long, all these trucks usually have the holes striped out, have to dolly holes flat again and hope screws tighten, I have on occasion put screw in hole and hold a screw clip under rad support to tighten them, this can be done through the park light holes and the gap between the support and rad with overflow bottle removed, the screws holding that down has the same problem quite often, these are sheet metal screws and not 1/2 bolts they don't need 1oo ft lbs of torque, just snug.

Re: 1978 D150 or Lil Red Express grill hardware - 06/13/17 07:15 PM

Went to the local Mopar club show this weekend. 2 Lil Red/Midnight express/warlock/generic trucks there. All seemed to have the same screws along the top of the grill as the cowl panel. Looked just like the interior screws from my FWD Daytonas and Fifth Avenue, lol. Maybe they were allllllll wrong, heh. I put some stainless screws in the cowl, so it's sort of ok the way it is.

Got a pretty good handle on everything. Lower screw holes are hogged out, so a little dolly work to close them back up is in order. This truck is barely a driver. Just need to get stuff attached somehow, someway, but don't want to butcher it anymore than it already is. And if it can be done close to how it should be without too much work, then that's the path we'll take.

Thanks for the help!
© 2024 Moparts Forums