Moparts

General Grabber

Posted By: Bad340fish

General Grabber - 05/24/17 04:27 PM

Does anyone have experience with these General tires? I am looking to replace my Kevlar MTRs with something a little more tame because I don't get off road much anymore. But I still want something capable should the bug catch me again.

Going on a 97 XJ 5.5 Lift, Stroked 4.0, 8.8 Rear, Dana 30 front with Yukon shafts, locked front and rear. I will likely start back up with some light wheeling with my 3 year old boy but I am not sure I want to get back into heavy like I was. I have been racing my Barracuda a lot and just driving the Jeep, I can only afford one hobby at a time haha.

Attached picture Capture.JPG

Re: General Grabber - 05/24/17 04:42 PM

Here is a good poser shot on the rocks of the current setup.

Attached picture image1.JPG
Posted By: indcontrols

Re: General Grabber - 05/24/17 05:37 PM

I had Generals on my previous RAM, not sure if they were the same ones, but the ones I had were excellent and surprisingly quiet... I didn't do any serious offroad though... cool pic...
Posted By: CTD5.9

Re: General Grabber - 05/24/17 06:09 PM

I don't have any experience with that model, but have used Grabber AT/2's. I really like them and haven't had an issue. They are quiet, wear well and I leave them on during Canadian winters with no issues.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: General Grabber - 05/29/17 04:41 PM

Incredibly HEAVY.... that's all I know.
Posted By: Belvedere1

Re: General Grabber - 05/29/17 08:40 PM

I am on my 2cd set of Grabbers on my 00 XJ. They are a 60K mile tire and I get every bit of the mileage out of them. I wouldn't hesitate to get another set. Made in the US and about $105 or so each in my area.

Re: General Grabber - 06/02/17 04:00 AM

J_Body I have heard that but they are only 5 or so lbs heavier than my MTRs, still pretty crazy that they are 65-70lbs. The Drag Racer in me worries that will cost me .1 in ET penalty but somehow this Jeep has managed to escape the drag strip in the 13 years I have owned it, even after I built the stroker for it.

Belvedere1, They seem to run about 225 here in a 35x12.50 and I can get them a little cheaper through a friend of mine.
Posted By: JAMESDART

Re: General Grabber - 06/02/17 04:04 AM

Did you see the new general grabbers? They look pretty interesting for a driver/trail truck.

Re: General Grabber - 06/02/17 02:47 PM

Hmm I haven't, I'll look into it.
Posted By: therocks

Re: General Grabber - 07/07/17 05:19 PM

We had them on 2 trucks.They were the older ones though.Like said they are a heavy tire and give great wear and traction.I bought all from Tire rack mas they were cheaper than our shop prices.I did install them for free at work so that wasnt a problem with price.Rocky
Posted By: ahy

Re: General Grabber - 07/08/17 02:48 AM

Originally Posted By rednuck
I don't have any experience with that model, but have used Grabber AT/2's. I really like them and haven't had an issue. They are quiet, wear well and I leave them on during Canadian winters with no issues.

I like the AT2's for similar reasons. They are good in snow, good in dry and decent in dirt. Probably not a good mud tire. For rocks, I guess they would be OK... though no experience.

Re: General Grabber - 12/11/18 01:54 PM

After dragging my feet forever I got some Cooper STT Pros from Discount Tire on Black Friday and saved %20. They had good reviews, fair price, and its a fairly new design that shouldn't be changed for awhile in case I tear one up.

The guy at Discount had a good point, the MTR and General tire are both old designs and would likely be replaced soon and if I had trouble I would have to move to a new design and not have a matching set. He actually had my sold on the BFG KM3 but they were not out in this size for another several months.

My MTRs were ROCK HARD from age and it is amazing how much better it drives with new tires.
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: General Grabber - 12/13/18 12:41 AM

I've been eyeing the Grabber HTS. More wimpy I know, but more for street use.
© 2024 Moparts Forums