Moparts

Thinking about an IRS

Posted By: wedgeheaded

Thinking about an IRS - 05/21/17 03:15 PM

Has anybody here, or do you know somebody who, has put an IRS under a 72-93 truck? I'm just chasing a rabbit.
Posted By: ric3xrt

Re: Thinking about an IRS - 05/21/17 03:26 PM

Why? it could be done, anything can be done with a welder and plasma cutter.
I would start by finding out what donor vehicle would have frame rails same distance or with in an inch of 72-93 truck , start there.
Posted By: savoy64

Re: Thinking about an IRS - 05/22/17 04:20 PM

i would look at a ford explorer/expedition later models have an irs 8.8 HD...
Posted By: Iowan

Re: Thinking about an IRS - 05/22/17 05:10 PM

I think the Expedition is larger than 8.8 ring gear.

Go with something that has a rear subframe that the complete IRS is mounted, Tbird, Mustang late, Comaro, Challenger.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Thinking about an IRS - 05/23/17 07:59 PM

No answer to your question, except I have thought about Explorers before. I think you'd have to do a frame graft. The Expedition came with solid axles front and rear, no independence there!

Is it worth it? I have a friend who put a Jaguar rear under a Toyota 4WD pickup. As there was rust to repair and because he could, he shortened up the bed quite a bit and eliminated a lot of rear overhang. As the Jag center is a Dana 44, he was able to swap gears to match the front diff.

The results were very good. It rides better offroad than anything he has ever been in before, and the short overhangs front and rear help keep from hanging up. So I believe it is worth it, for someone who would use it.

R.
Posted By: Iowan

Re: Thinking about an IRS - 05/23/17 08:07 PM

05 and up Expedition is IRS, I own a 08 just not sure of ring gear size but larger than 8.8.

Re: Thinking about an IRS - 05/24/17 07:23 PM

I knew about the T-Bird and Mustang and I think I've heard about the Explorer. I'm probably just going to use an 8 3/4 on leaf springs but I have an extra frame and it's a blank canvas. Like I said, I'm just chasing rabbits. Thanks guys
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Thinking about an IRS - 05/24/17 08:10 PM

I blame brain fade, must be all those genetically modified foods I've been eating.

I was thinking about the Excursion. Expedition has had independent rear suspension for some time now, and IFS from the beginning.

So I have uncovered a NEW rear end, the Ford 9.75. I believe it's a Sterling unit, made at their Sterling plant. It has a 9.75 ring gear like a Dana 60, but isn't a Dana 60. It's available in both solid axle and independent configurations.
The first variety of these had 34 spline axles. Later ones had 35 spline.

This axle should be able to handle some serious torque.

R.

Re: Thinking about an IRS - 05/28/17 05:19 PM

Originally Posted By dogdays
I blame brain fade, must be all those genetically modified foods I've been eating.

I was thinking about the Excursion. Expedition has had independent rear suspension for some time now, and IFS from the beginning.

So I have uncovered a NEW rear end, the Ford 9.75. I believe it's a Sterling unit, made at their Sterling plant. It has a 9.75 ring gear like a Dana 60, but isn't a Dana 60. It's available in both solid axle and independent configurations.
The first variety of these had 34 spline axles. Later ones had 35 spline.

This axle should be able to handle some serious torque.

Cool beans!
R.
Posted By: Twostick

Re: Thinking about an IRS - 05/30/17 01:24 AM

There is a kit for the Lincoln MkVII/Thunderbird IRS.

http://team321.com/truckirs/truckirs.html

Kevin

Re: Thinking about an IRS - 05/31/17 03:06 PM

Originally Posted By Twostick
There is a kit for the Lincoln MkVII/Thunderbird IRS.

http://team321.com/truckirs/truckirs.html

Kevin

More Cool Beans!
© 2024 Moparts Forums