Moparts

Lil red express questions

Posted By: 68RRFlyer

Lil red express questions - 02/14/17 04:13 PM

Hey guys,

I found a pretty good deal on a 1979 Express truck, but I've got a few questions about them and can't seem to find answers to. I'm very familiar with all things 68-70, but not real versed on the later year Mopars.

1. Is there a special character in the VIN denoting the Express model?

2. Did they still come with fender tags that year and if so, where was it?

3. Broadcast sheet location the same for the trucks as the cars like under the seats or behind the dash?

4. VIN stamped on any place on the body like the early Mopars had that I should look for? (Radiator support, cowl, etc)

Thanks guys! I appreciate any info you may have.

Cheers

Dave
Posted By: chargervert

Re: Lil red express questions - 02/14/17 05:26 PM

There is a tag on the drivers side door, the VIN number is on the tag. The fifth digit should be a J if the truck is amn LRT. The fendertag is on the radiator support. As for the build sheet locations, maybe under the carpet, above the heater, or under the seat.
Posted By: LilRed7879

Re: Lil red express questions - 02/15/17 05:27 PM

Originally Posted By 68RRFlyer
Hey guys,

1. Is there a special character in the VIN denoting the Express model? The 5th digit of the VIN should be an "S"

2. Did they still come with fender tags that year and if so, where was it? There is a tag in the door jamb, and then an equipment tag on the core support as well as normally an equipment decal under the hood.

3. Broadcast sheet location the same for the trucks as the cars like under the seats or behind the dash? I have found them under the carpet and in under and in the back of the seats

4. VIN stamped on any place on the body like the early Mopars had that I should look for? (Radiator support, cowl, etc) I believe the VIN is on the cowl but forget where it will also be on the frame on the drivers side around the door area.

http://lilreddad.com/Misc.html

Posted By: 5thAve

Re: Lil red express questions - 02/19/17 04:01 PM

On a 79 the vin plate is on the door jamb not the door.
The vin is stamped on the passenger side frame rail inside the rear fender area. That link that LilRed7879 has is what helped me with mine when I was looking at buying it. I haven't found a broadcast sheet in mine. I've read that in a lot of those trucks people found them rolled up and stuck inside the cross member or somewhere close to it!!
Posted By: 68RRFlyer

Re: Lil red express questions - 02/20/17 03:41 PM

Thanks guys! Good info. I'll keep all that earmarked for future reference. Turns out the truck wasn't as described, so I passed on it. I'll keep searching.

Cheers
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Lil red express questions - 02/20/17 04:28 PM

We found a broadcast sheet in a low mileage 79 Lil Red stuffed into the drivers side upper control arm! shock We were able to steam it slightly and open it up, and it was mint! up It must not have seen much weather that is for sure. work
© 2024 Moparts Forums