Moparts

99 Ram burning oil

Posted By: Pkeel

99 Ram burning oil - 06/07/16 12:31 PM

I have a 99 Dodge ram with the 5.2 Magnum.

I had an issue with it burning oil and replaced the plenum gasket. That took care of the issue with the worst part of the oil burning and removed the rattle it made under acceleration.

It is still burning oil. Not as much, but it still burns oil. I would love any ideas on how to figure out what is wrong. Not sure if it helps, but the check engine light is on also. Right now I can't get it to a shop to check the light, but as soon as I can I will.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: 99 Ram burning oil - 06/07/16 05:51 PM

Did you try the key dance to see what codes come up? On off on off on off on.Then count the blinks. Or you could just stop at any major parts store and they usually check codes for free.
Posted By: BleedDodge

Re: 99 Ram burning oil - 06/07/16 07:55 PM

99 ram will show codes in the digital odometer if you do the key thing.

How much is it using anyway ?

Re: 99 Ram burning oil - 06/08/16 12:06 AM

I would guess it burns a quart a month now that he drives it every day.

I will run the codes after dinner.

Re: 99 Ram burning oil - 06/08/16 12:48 AM

Well, no codes came up. on the 99 I had to hold the trip meter and turn it on and leave it on to check. But after running it did not show any codes at all.
Posted By: kenworth_goose

Re: 99 Ram burning oil - 06/08/16 03:18 AM

did you replace the gasket or the lower plate with the aluminum plate? If you replaced just the gasket it won't last very long at all. I'd go after the pcv valve next. I replaced the plate on my 99 5.9 2500 and it still used a small amount until I replaced the pcv valve. I did buy the aluminum plate and install on mine. I've seen new gaskets leaking with as few as 100 miles on them. The problem is the plate, not the gasket.
Posted By: 71yelladustr

Re: 99 Ram burning oil - 06/08/16 05:30 AM

Might be time for some new valve stem seals if the intake plenum gasket is not the culprit.
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: 99 Ram burning oil - 06/08/16 07:42 PM

I always make sure the plate is flat, they can get raised up between the bolts so they would leak right away, and add a thin coat of "right stuff" on either side of the gasket and make sure the plate and intake surface are totally oil free and it will not leak again. To check if it is blow you can sometimes see a big puddle of oil in the plenum looking down the throttle body, sometimes you can even see blown out sections of the gasket in there or the last test I do is pull the PCV out of the valve cover, plug the hole in the VC then put the palm of my hand over the oil cap hole with it idling and see if it starts building vacuume and trying to suck in my hand, if there is vacuume there then the gasket is leaking again.

Re: 99 Ram burning oil - 06/09/16 12:22 AM

Ugh, I did replace the cover, but I used a new one from Dodge. I didn't get the aluminum replacement aftermarket.

I will check for oil and vacuum. I

I am overzealous with the cleaning and oil free, so pretty sure it should not be caused by that. Thing is there is no longer any sound or bogging down when I accelerate.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: 99 Ram burning oil - 06/09/16 01:06 AM

If the mileage is 1000 miles per month and it's burning one quart per month that is actually an acceptable oil consumption. What do the plugs look like?

R.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: 99 Ram burning oil - 06/09/16 05:42 AM

No oil burning is acceptable to me. A quart between oil changes at 5000 Miles is tolerable but not what I want to see from my engines. My 2003 Ram 5.7 hemi has 155,000 miles and uses no oil as does my wifes PT cruiser 2.4 with 160,000 miles.I use synthetic in both. shruggy
© 2024 Moparts Forums