Moparts

V10 valve train trouble

Posted By: hemi jimmy

V10 valve train trouble - 03/14/16 03:37 AM

Have a 1999 dually v10 with 111,000 miles. Had a sudden engine miss show up a few weeks ago. Poked around on the net and found a few posts about rocker arm bolts breaking. Pulled valve covers & sure enough, #8 intake rocker bolt broken & pushrod laying there. All rockers extremely worn as well. After much research I found that stock rockers and pivots aren't available. Decided to install crower rockers & new lifters. Found one pushrod had rubbed thin on head gasket. Mine measure 7.765" long but parts stores want to sell me 7.900" pushrods. Can get an oil through Chevy pushrod at length I need. Anybody been this deep in a v10 and found the same parts issues?
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: V10 valve train trouble - 03/14/16 11:44 AM

Just get whatever pushrod you need that is the correct length. I would be more concerned as to why the rockers are worn so bad.

Re: V10 valve train trouble - 03/15/16 06:11 AM

I know what you're saying about rocker arm wear but I'm installing roller rockers. Not because I want to but because I can't find stock rockers. In all the research I've done, there's no mention of stock replacement rocker arms available and no mention of a 7.765" pushrod length for the truck V10 engine. I guess I'm just curious if I've got a strange combination or has anyone been through this and found the same issues.
Posted By: SNK-EYZ

Re: V10 valve train trouble - 03/15/16 09:47 AM

Depending on how many you actually want there are 2 new stock rocker arms on ebay right now. Part Number: 05245335
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Mopar-Pa...rJb&vxp=mtr

The pivots are available too.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=dod...83&_sacat=0

What part of Missouri are you in?
PM me if you'd be interested in a mostly complete 99 V-10 engine.
I don't want anyone to see this as a for sale ad and take offense.

Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: V10 valve train trouble - 03/15/16 02:17 PM

Isn't the valvetrain going to be all the same as any junkyard magnum engine?

Re: V10 valve train trouble - 03/16/16 02:57 AM

Yeah... I've seen the one & two rockers for sale on ebay but I would need 20. That's ok, I have roller rockers on the way. Thanks for looking though. I'm more baffled by the fact that when I look for pushrods I don't find listing for v10's at 7.765" long???

Re: V10 valve train trouble - 03/16/16 03:10 AM

I recently checked out a 5.2 magnum & the valve train was completely different than my v10. Rockers & pivots are smaller and pushrods are shorter. I had hoped they were the same but no luck. I have no idea what year it was. That might make a difference. I'm a die hard Mopar man but I sure wish they made stuff more interchangeable!
Posted By: redraptor

Re: V10 valve train trouble - 03/17/16 12:28 AM

As far as I know The valve train is the same as the 5.9l. My buddy has a '99 and he had a pushrod go thru the pocket on the rocker arm. He was on the road and got a replacement from a dealer but NOS stuff is running out. If I had kept mine I would be scrounging for parts to keep on a shelf.
Posted By: Cheatham

Re: V10 valve train trouble - 03/18/16 07:18 AM

i just got me a 97 2500 v10 w 138000 it super smooth and runs great and i did a sct tune by flyanryan, i drive mine easy tho i hope nothing like sensors or hard parts go out it seems finding parts is scarce

Re: V10 valve train trouble - 03/18/16 09:02 PM

I drive mine fairly easy too but I also use it for towing trailers. Yes, parts are a little tough to find and when you find them they're expensive. One suggestion given to me to help these engines is to install the coolest thermostat you can buy. This helps cut down on heat related engine sludge which can lead to some of the same problems I'm having with mine.
Posted By: RTSrunner

Re: V10 valve train trouble - 04/06/16 05:57 AM

I would think running it too cool would build more sludge than running hot.~RT
© 2024 Moparts Forums