Moparts

Steering Column Bushing - Mid '70's - Updated

Posted By: 70Duster440

Steering Column Bushing - Mid '70's - Updated - 03/04/16 04:18 AM

We're swapping a column shift column out for a floor shift column. The floor shift column had this plastic bushing at the end of the tube. The column shift column did not have the bushing at the end - though there may be been one at one time.

I could see how the bushing might help support the end of a shift lever tube but what purpose would it serve, if any, in the floor shift column? Was this just a 'luck-of-the-draw' on the assembly line?

Posted By: poorboy

Re: Steering Column Bushing - Mid '70's - 03/04/16 10:26 PM

If the steering shaft can wobble around that much on the bottom, I suspect it won't be doing the turn signal switch, or the wires passing through the column, much good. The difference in the life expectancy of the turn signal switch or wires with or without it might not be a lot, but every column I ever remember looking at had something at the bottom of the column. Of course, I can't say that I looked at every column I ever took out. Gene

Re: Steering Column Bushing - Mid '70's - 03/05/16 03:46 AM

Thanks. That bushing comes nowhere near supporting the shaft. Like I said, I put in in the other column and it fits around the end of the shift tube nicely - like it might actually belong there. In this application, I don't see the point. And once the shaft is connected to the steering box, it's not going to flop around.

Sure like to know what all is supposed to be there. Anyone have a '70's manual trans truck?
Posted By: yella71

Re: Steering Column Bushing - Mid '70's - 03/06/16 06:38 PM

the newer trucks (80s) have a bearing there to support the shaft. It needs to be supported.

Re: Steering Column Bushing - Mid '70's - 03/09/16 06:45 AM

Well, we broke the column down and painted the pieces last weekend and then decided to take another look at some kind of bearing support.

So, I picked up a flanged bearing with a 2" OD and .75" ID, some nuts, and set screws. Had already cut off the end of the column tube before painting.

Ground some flats in the outer race for the set screws to contact.

Seems the column and shaft will have to be much more accurately aligned with the steering box. We'll see how it works.

Posted By: stumpy

Re: Steering Column Bushing - Mid '70's - 03/09/16 06:49 AM

Are you going to install the steering gear box reinforcement bracket on the truck also?

Re: Steering Column Bushing - Mid '70's - 03/09/16 06:56 AM

Originally Posted By stumpy
Are you going to install the steering gear box reinforcement bracket on the truck also?

Was offered a used one but the seller didn't follow through.
Posted By: 5thAve

Re: Steering Column Bushing - Mid '70's - 03/11/16 05:44 AM

How hard is it to get that reinforcement bracket off when you are junk yard scrounging?
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Steering Column Bushing - Mid '70's - 03/11/16 06:07 AM

It attaches with the steering box bolts and at least one bolt in the front crossmember. It fits inside the frame rail.

Re: Steering Column Bushing - Mid '70's - 03/11/16 09:28 AM

It's slim pickings for trucks of that era around here. It's been awhile since I checked though.
Posted By: Red 79

Re: Steering Column Bushing - Mid '70's - 03/14/16 12:58 PM

I've been looking for the re-enforcing bracket for two years with no luck
Posted By: Ramtough

Re: Steering Column Bushing - Mid '70's - 03/26/16 03:26 AM

Dodge Connection has them, here
http://www.dodgeconnection.com/catalog/item/2901766/4541374.htm
Posted By: LilRed7879

Re: Steering Column Bushing - Mid '70's - 03/26/16 04:41 PM

Originally Posted By Ramtough
Thanks
© 2024 Moparts Forums