Moparts

First Gen Gauge Cluster Swap

Posted By: Grizzly

First Gen Gauge Cluster Swap - 11/07/15 03:43 PM

Have a standard gauge cluster that just has the warning lights for temp and oil. Would like to throw it out and put the deluxe full gauges in.

Can a deluxe cluster with all the gauges go in "plug and play" or do I have to grab wiring harness and sending units?
Posted By: 440newport

Re: First Gen Gauge Cluster Swap - 11/07/15 06:26 PM

I have a truck I looked into doing this to as well. The senders are different between the light and gauges for sure. I'm not sure if the wiring is already there for the cluster or not though. I'm thinking not. Also in '89 or '90 the gauges went to stepper motors which are computer controlled.
Posted By: ruderunner

Re: First Gen Gauge Cluster Swap - 11/08/15 01:25 AM

Sending units definitely change, wiring may not. I'd bet the needed changes to the "wiring" are designed into the the cluster circuit board.
Posted By: Grizzly

Re: First Gen Gauge Cluster Swap - 11/08/15 02:12 AM

Yeah, for sure agree with you on the newer gauges, I think that was mentioned in the sales brochure on my '90 that they were updated to a different setup. Electric speedo and such.

So, better mention that this is an '83 I just picked up. Local classifieds has a guy selling deluxe clusters and wanted to make sure before I called him.
Posted By: dodgedon

Re: First Gen Gauge Cluster Swap - 11/08/15 06:45 AM

I did this on my 85. It plugs in with the same large plug. The difference is in the printed circuit and the senders. I used what I believe to be an 87 cluster with new water and oil senders. As stated above if the cluster has an electric speedometer this will not work as a "plug and play"
© 2024 Moparts Forums