Moparts

New OEM style metal radiators for 70s and 80s trucks?

Posted By: 5thAve

New OEM style metal radiators for 70s and 80s trucks? - 07/28/15 03:18 AM

Has anyone bought a factory style replacement recently or know where to get one for a decent price? A few years ago they were easy to find, now the 22" brass/aluminum ones are no problem to get but the bigger 26" ones are all plastic and look nothing like stock. Thought I'd ask before I bite the bullet and get the old one fixed up.
Posted By: 440newport

Re: New OEM style metal radiators for 70s and 80s trucks? - 07/28/15 03:22 AM

I bought one for my truck about 4 years ago. Looked the same as stock to me. Spectra brand I believe it was, CU959. I just had a quick look on rock auto, it appears the same one is still available?

Edit: Nevermind, now I see it's listed as having plastic tanks. I didn't realize they switched over.
Posted By: Red 79

Re: New OEM style metal radiators for 70s and 80s trucks? - 07/29/15 05:12 PM

I have a 26" three row metal tank with the shroud for small block(top driver inlet-bottom passenger). Perfect shape. If your interested pm me.
Posted By: therocks

Re: New OEM style metal radiators for 70s and 80s trucks? - 08/01/15 02:19 AM

Last one we bought for my kids 83 we got at Advance.It was all brass and direct fit.It was pretty decent price as I bought stuff for the shop and he works there.That was about 4 or 5 years ago.Rocky
Posted By: 5thAve

Re: New OEM style metal radiators for 70s and 80s trucks? - 08/02/15 05:52 AM

That's what I've been hitting. Within the last few years they've changed to plastic and all suppliers are the same, probably getting the part from the same place.

I ended up just getting the old one recored. At least I have the proper rad and it looks like new.
Posted By: ahy

Re: New OEM style metal radiators for 70s and 80s trucks? - 08/02/15 12:49 PM

I got an AP store copper brass replacement 3-4 years ago for a brand F. Even though it was "3 row extra cooling" it did not do so well on a hard pull.

I guess those 3 rows were not very thick or effective.

A 4 core Champion works great now. Painted black does not look bad to me and the stock shroud fits.
© 2024 Moparts Forums