Moparts

2008 Ram: A./C clutch coil and blend door questions?

Posted By: Slant6pak

2008 Ram: A./C clutch coil and blend door questions? - 07/07/15 03:28 AM

Hey guys,

Got a question about my 2008 Ram. The A/C has been out for the last two years (in Texas) and I've been to lazy to do anything about because I work 5 minutes from home.

Well that is about to change and I'm working on repairing it.

I'm traced my lack of A/C to the A/C clutch coil, its toast and I've found info on the web that this is a common problem and that is easy to repair ($40 and a hour so they say), but I can't find a part number or source for the part or instructions on how to change it. Can somebody point me in the right direction?

Also, I have infamous broken blend door in my A/C box, I found a website (HeaterTreater) that sells a repair kit. Has anybody used it?

Thanks
Posted By: SALEM1912

Re: 2008 Ram: A./C clutch coil and blend door questions? - 07/07/15 03:33 PM

Mopar # would be 5003681AA If you can get it done for $40 and a hour labor go for it,sounds a little too cheap? Are you sure it's the blend air door and not the recir door?
Posted By: I_bleed_MOPAR

Re: 2008 Ram: A./C clutch coil and blend door questions? - 07/07/15 03:34 PM

I replaced the recirc. door and a/c clutch on my '06 earlier this year. Check youtube for info on the clutch (I'm sure there is plenty there)- I'm a retired mechanic so I knew how to do it already. wink As for the recirc. door, I ordered one from RockAuto. It's so easy to replace I didn't see the need to pay HeaterTreaters price. shocked

Edit: Missed where you said blend door. Sorry.

Tim
Posted By: Slant6pak

Re: 2008 Ram: A./C clutch coil and blend door questions? - 07/08/15 05:54 AM

Any other source for the coil besides the dealer?

Some of the info I read mentioned ebay... but they don't cross reference part numbers so well.

How the heck do you change it? I imagine the clutch has to come off...

As far as the broken door in the dash goes, I'm not sure which one is broken, maybe all this point.

When the A/C was still working, it blew fire out of the driver's side vents and ice cubes out the passenger side. I was thinking going with the Heater Treater kit because it replaces the flimsy plastic doors and you don't have to tear the whole dash apart.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: 2008 Ram: A./C clutch coil and blend door questions? - 07/08/15 07:01 PM

Do an online search for "how to replace an AC clutch for a ..." I think you will have no trouble finding an instructional video.
Posted By: SALEM1912

Re: 2008 Ram: A./C clutch coil and blend door questions? - 07/09/15 04:54 PM

BTW you have tried to rotate the compressor to make sure it hasn't seized?
The inter part or maybe just put a 13mm(maybe 10mm) socket on the center nut and rotate it. You should spin with a little drag.

Posted By: kenworth_goose

Re: 2008 Ram: A./C clutch coil and blend door questions? - 07/10/15 12:35 AM

I'd bet all the door inside the heater box are broken. Very common problem.
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: 2008 Ram: A./C clutch coil and blend door questions? - 07/11/15 03:09 PM

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-non-powertrain/318556-c-clutch-coil-fix-2.html
Posted By: sunroofgtx

Re: 2008 Ram: A./C clutch coil and blend door questions? - 07/11/15 08:54 PM

I'm doing this exact thing now. I have voltage going to the compressor. I can not spin the compressor at all. My blend door will be next. I wish those pics worked on the above link for plugs.

BTW, it is an 8mm center nut. Mine will loosen, but will not spin the compressor in the tightening direction.

I think a whole compressor is in my unfortunate future.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: 2008 Ram: A./C clutch coil and blend door questions? - 07/11/15 09:25 PM

Sunroof I do believe you have it right. Compressor is locked up. wrench
© 2024 Moparts Forums