Moparts

front brake problems!!

Posted By: ridin98ci

front brake problems!! - 06/03/15 09:32 PM

I am getting near the end of my rope...
I have a 75 D100, factory 440, auto, 9.25 3.23 gears...slowly trying to get her on the road then modify it little at a time...
ANYWAY.....I have replaced the front brakes on it, calipers, rotors, hardware....the passenger front is hanging up...the caliper its self....what else can it be?
Posted By: stumpy

Re: front brake problems!! - 06/03/15 10:38 PM

Did you lube the sliding surfaces? When the caliper hangs up try opening the bleeder and see if it loosens up. If it does you may have a collapsing rubber brake line on that wheel. If that is the problem then replace both sides to be safe. If not that then it may just be a bad new caliper. It has happened more than once.

Re: front brake problems!! - 06/04/15 03:03 AM

Yeah its all lubed up and free...and when I take the caliper off its tight to push in with a c clamp...so could that be the hose as well?
Posted By: Golden-Arm

Re: front brake problems!! - 06/04/15 03:12 AM

crack the hose fitting loose, on the end furthest from the caliper, then give it a squeeze. if it doesn't flow, the inner liner has collapsed, and is forming a seal preventing backflow, as mentioned by stumpy. if it flows freely, tighten it up, and move back towards the proportioning valve, and crack each fitting, until you get no fluid. the hoses are known to delaminate inside, causing a one way flap.

Re: front brake problems!! - 06/04/15 03:22 AM

OK...I'll give it a shot
Posted By: sthemi

Re: front brake problems!! - 06/04/15 06:42 AM

Originally Posted By Golden-Arm
crack the hose fitting loose, on the end furthest from the caliper, then give it a squeeze. if it doesn't flow, the inner liner has collapsed, and is forming a seal preventing backflow, as mentioned by stumpy. if it flows freely, tighten it up, and move back towards the proportioning valve, and crack each fitting, until you get no fluid. the hoses are known to delaminate inside, causing a one way flap.

I had that exact problem with my 2500 Van... drove me nuts... now it is perfect.
Posted By: hp383

Re: front brake problems!! - 06/04/15 08:50 AM

Had a similar issue on a gov rebuilt HD D44. Everything had been replaced before it was mothballed. I gave up two perfectly good steel piston calipers for a pair of crappy phenolic piston calipers before I realized it was the hoses had corroded on the inside.

Re: front brake problems!! - 06/04/15 01:16 PM

Originally Posted By hp383
Had a similar issue on a gov rebuilt HD D44. Everything had been replaced before it was mothballed. I gave up two perfectly good steel piston calipers for a pair of crappy phenolic piston calipers before I realized it was the hoses had corroded on the inside.

Are the steel piston ones really better? I swapped mine out too....but if they aren't the reason it was hanging up I could swap back.....I just assumed they were freezing up.

The hoses seem to be a common problem I will give it a shot today.
© 2024 Moparts Forums