Moparts

Is this an easy swap? Dakota

Posted By: 79powerwagon

Is this an easy swap? Dakota - 03/01/15 02:24 AM

I have a 97 Dakota V6 automatic, and it's a great truck! I just stumbled onto a 95 V6 5 speed for really cheap! It's a rotter, but a driver.

Can I stick the 5 speed and pedal assembly into the 97, or is all of that too different?
Posted By: Golden-Arm

Re: Is this an easy swap? Dakota - 03/01/15 03:38 AM

swap away. it's a match, but you might have to drill some holes, as well as swapping out the pedal assembly. you'll need the computer as well, and be sure to check out all sensors and sending units, for harness matching.

Re: Is this an easy swap? Dakota - 03/01/15 03:46 AM

Hmmm, forgot about the computer OBDII/OBDI thing... I'll have to think about it.
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: Is this an easy swap? Dakota - 03/01/15 03:51 PM

mechanically, the engines are about the same (intakes are different, TBI vs MPFI). If you currently have a V6 automatic, and want a V6 manual, then grab the manual transmission from the 95. swap it in. may have to also hit junk yard for same generation pedal assembly, floor consoles, steering columns etc.

Then you will just need a computer from a gen 3 truck, as well as the wire harness for a manual transmission truck (clutch safety switch, reverse light switch, etc.)
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: Is this an easy swap? Dakota - 03/01/15 11:01 PM

Neither engine is TBI, both are magnum MPI, intake is the same basically, may have different vacuume fittings and EGR passage.

You will need a 97 harness and 5 speed computer.

Re: Is this an easy swap? Dakota - 03/02/15 02:11 AM

All in all, it sounds like far too much work. I'll stay with my automatic (at least until I need to either repair the truck or replace it).
© 2024 Moparts Forums