Moparts

Tandem Axle 1-ton - Bueller? Anyone here?

Posted By: WyleECoyote

Tandem Axle 1-ton - Bueller? Anyone here? - 02/22/15 01:57 AM

I haven't spent much time over here in the Truck Forum, so I thought I'd ask if anyone here has ever added second axle and posted their build up.

I've found this one local - and I'm really, really hooked on the look; sans fuel tank. I'm set to look at it this week, but not sure about how they added the second axle. Its just a roller axle, coil springs are missing in the picture but thats what he used.

I appreciate any suggestions, tips, or comments; negative, neutral, or positive.

Thanks!

Posted By: Defbob

Re: Tandem Axle 1-ton - Bueller? Anyone here? - 02/22/15 03:22 AM

USA 6x6 use to make gear boxes that bolt to Ford 9" and GM 14 bolts. They changed ownership and name. They also no longer appear to sell the gear boxes individually, only as part of a whole conversion.

http://www.startrackstrucks.com/6x6trucks.html
Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: Tandem Axle 1-ton - Bueller? Anyone here? - 02/22/15 04:47 AM

The second axle is only for looks, DOT will fine the itshay out of you if you are loaded more than the factory rating. also the rear brakes must be functional.
Posted By: 440newport

Re: Tandem Axle 1-ton - Bueller? Anyone here? - 02/22/15 05:43 AM

I've seen some 6x6 trucks done using a transfer case that has 2 rear outputs. I would love to build one some day.

Attached picture 8437038-DSC03530.jpg

Re: Tandem Axle 1-ton - Bueller? Anyone here? - 02/22/15 05:51 AM

Quote:

The second axle is only for looks, DOT will fine the itshay out of you if you are loaded more than the factory rating. also the rear brakes must be functional.

Why do the rear brakes on axle two need to be functional? My tandem axle car trailer only has brakes on one axle.

Re: Tandem Axle 1-ton - Bueller? Anyone here? - 02/22/15 05:54 AM

Quote:

I've seen some 6x6 trucks done using a transfer case that has 2 rear outputs. I would love to build one some day.

Albeit cool to have two power rear axles, I'm fine with one; I just really dig the tandem axle semi truck look!
Posted By: Cooter

Re: Tandem Axle 1-ton - Bueller? Anyone here? - 02/22/15 06:46 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Why do the rear brakes on axle two need to be functional? My tandem axle car trailer only has brakes on one axle.

Because the second axle takes some of the load off of the original rear axle, giving it less traction and making it easier to lock up.
Posted By: redraptor

Re: Tandem Axle 1-ton - Bueller? Anyone here? - 02/22/15 02:34 PM

Quote:

My tandem axle car trailer only has brakes on one axle.

Legal where you are but not in this commonwealth.
Posted By: Defbob

Re: Tandem Axle 1-ton - Bueller? Anyone here? - 02/22/15 03:01 PM

Quote:

That is my friend Mikel's M715. I've driven that, it is beastly.
Posted By: kenworth_goose

Re: Tandem Axle 1-ton - Bueller? Anyone here? - 02/22/15 05:37 PM

Quote:

I've wanted to build a tandem 1 ton since before I could drive. Where can I find the transfer case to do this? The rest I can fab.
© 2024 Moparts Forums