Moparts

cummins quit moving?

Posted By: rhad

cummins quit moving? - 12/05/14 12:45 AM

my buddy has a 95 cummins 4x4 manual trans truck,308,000 miles,has been very dependable,he was goin down the road today and it just stopped pulling,engine runs fine,no matter what gear its in or the t case is in just nothing!!,we are going to take a looksee tomorrow,just wondering what the most likely culpert is?,5th gear was fixed some yrs back!
thanks in advance!!
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: cummins quit moving? - 12/05/14 01:23 AM

I have seen a couple input shafts snap on the earlier nv4500.

Re: cummins quit moving? - 12/05/14 02:30 AM

i see there are upgraded shafts that are larger in diameter,i presume that means you have to change out the clutch disc?
Posted By: 69HemiGTX

Re: cummins quit moving? - 12/05/14 04:21 AM

Yes. You have to use the 13" NV5600 clutch with the 1 3/8" input. Consequently, you must also modify or replace your flywheel for the larger clutch.
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: cummins quit moving? - 12/05/14 06:40 PM

check the pre filter and lift pump, along with fuel shut off. just went through this crap
Posted By: dusturbd340W5

Re: cummins quit moving? - 12/06/14 02:04 AM

Quote:

check the pre filter and lift pump, along with fuel shut off. just went through this crap

Tony go get your glasses, he stated the engine runs fine.

Re: cummins quit moving? - 12/06/14 06:59 AM

im thinking either the input shaft of the center is out of the clutch disc,owner thinks the easiest way to tell is remove the pto cover start engine in neutral and see if the gears turn,maybe tomorrow will tell i see input shafts for as cheap as $100,dont think id trust one that cheap
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: cummins quit moving? - 12/06/14 11:29 PM

If it just stopped pulling while cruising (not pulling hard) I'd be more inclined to think pump failure.

Install a pressure gauge on the line pressure test port or disconnect a cooler line and check for fluid flow in Neutral.
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: cummins quit moving? - 12/07/14 01:32 AM

Quote:

If it just stopped pulling while cruising (not pulling hard) I'd be more inclined to think pump failure.

Install a pressure gauge on the line pressure test port or disconnect a cooler line and check for fluid flow in Neutral.

He said it's a manual John, I almost started posting auto trans also stuff till I re-read it

Re: cummins quit moving? - 12/07/14 02:41 AM

pulled off the pto cover and started truck in gear,nothing turning,so input shaft(my vote),or clutch disc,308,000 on it,he is thinking of selling as is?
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: cummins quit moving? - 12/07/14 03:27 AM

As-is might as well knock $3k-$4k off the price, parts to fix might be only $500. Anyway that's how it works....

Sheldon

Re: cummins quit moving? - 12/07/14 04:23 AM

i see some input shafts for less than $100,can they be worth installing?
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: cummins quit moving? - 12/07/14 04:59 AM

Quote:

i see some input shafts for less than $100,can they be worth installing?

Why? The truck has gone a bazzilion miles on whats there now. Drop the tranny see whats broke. If its just a clutch upgrade to a south bend and get it back on the road.
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: cummins quit moving? - 12/07/14 01:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Tony go get your glasses, he stated the engine runs fine.

i related the quit moving as not running

Re: cummins quit moving? - 12/11/14 11:30 PM

we got it apart today,the center is out of the clutch disc because the pilot bearing is missing in action!!,at least most of it
Posted By: savoy64

Re: cummins quit moving? - 12/12/14 12:52 AM

i have done 10 or so cummins clutches and have never found a functioning bearing style pilot in one....

Re: cummins quit moving? - 12/12/14 06:32 AM

the pilot shaft is worn down some but he says he is gonna put it back together like that with a new pilot bearing,how long will it last?,how long did it last the first time,its a 95 with 308000 on it
Posted By: savoy64

Re: cummins quit moving? - 12/12/14 05:24 PM

most i have seen the clutches were out and you dont know when the bearing gave up---but i have pulled a couple junkyard nv4500,s and dont know how many miles were on it and they also had bad pilot bearings----made me wonder if the solid brass ones are better----you would think a person in a cummins shop would have a good idea of how long those little pilot bearings last.....

Re: cummins quit moving? - 12/13/14 02:07 AM

now he decided to replace the input shaft,who has one for sale that is NOT chinese,im told some are made in india,i like the sound of that better,whats the best deal,ebay ,or??
Posted By: EWJ

Re: cummins quit moving? - 12/14/14 07:24 AM

Quote:

most i have seen the clutches were out and you dont know when the bearing gave up---but i have pulled a couple junkyard nv4500,s and dont know how many miles were on it and they also had bad pilot bearings----made me wonder if the solid brass ones are better----you would think a person in a cummins shop would have a good idea of how long those little pilot bearings last.....

The pilot bearing in my gasser rig with an NV4500 broke down and the needle bearings got swedged so bad to the input shaft that the clutch would not disengage. It was all rusty and dry as if it was never greased when new!
Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: cummins quit moving? - 12/14/14 03:09 PM

Quote:

now he decided to replace the input shaft,who has one for sale that is NOT chinese,im told some are made in india,i like the sound of that better,whats the best deal,ebay ,or??

India/China, Same Same
Posted By: mopar65

Re: cummins quit moving? - 12/14/14 09:19 PM

i think south bend makes there's in house but not sure.

http://www.southbendclutch.com/inputshaft.html

also i ran there 13-1/4 CONOFE single disc clutch in my 2000 cummins with the NV4500that was making over 400 hp at there rear wheels with then stock size input shaft.i never had a problem with it braking and i was not easy on my truck. mopar65
© 2024 Moparts Forums