Moparts

engine swap or head change?????????

Posted By: MattW

engine swap or head change????????? - 11/19/14 11:48 PM

Have an 03 Dakota 4.7 with head gaskets issues. I have a set of heads that are off an 04 Dakota and are rebuilt.
Would it be easier and faster to rebuild the rest of the engine and switch engines then to just change heads on my 03.
I'm thinking shaping the whole engine would be easier and faster.
Any info would be appreciated. Matt
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: engine swap or head change????????? - 11/20/14 12:18 AM

Sell the 4.7 heads and the short block, buy a 5.7, motor mounts are the same, bellhousing is the same and the confuser will work, you will need a wire harness from a same year 5.7 and you will have a much nicer truck for a little extra investment

Re: engine swap or head change????????? - 11/20/14 01:10 AM

Quote:

Sell the 4.7 heads and the short block, buy a 5.7, motor mounts are the same, bellhousing is the same and the confuser will work, you will need a wire harness from a same year 5.7 and you will have a much nicer truck for a little extra investment

Lol
Working on that with the other one. But I still need a truck to go back and forth to work.
Mounts the same?
I haven't heard that.
My 03 has the NGC so wiring is really simple.
Is it easier and faster to swap engine than just the heads?
Matt
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: engine swap or head change????????? - 11/20/14 03:30 AM

Yes motor mounts are the same.

It is probably easier to swap heads but you still have a piece of stink 4.7 when your done.
Posted By: buildanother

Re: engine swap or head change????????? - 11/20/14 07:59 AM

I changed a drivers side gasket and found it easy. That chain-gear setup is not so bad and chain guide slips out of way once you unbolt the little torx headed bolt.

Re: engine swap or head change????????? - 11/20/14 04:52 PM

Quote:

Yes motor mounts are the same.

It is probably easier to swap heads but you still have a piece of stink 4.7 when your done.

Really. I hope your right.
So you think it would be easier to change the heads.
© 2024 Moparts Forums