Moparts

First Gen Dakota \ Toyota brakes?

Posted By: Greg55_99

First Gen Dakota \ Toyota brakes? - 09/08/14 09:22 PM

Just sitting around with stuff and thinking if this is possible. Got a stock 88 Dakota front end on the floor. Stock rotors. Also got a set of Toyota 4runner four pot calipers. So I kinda sorta threw them together to see "what if". Turns out the 4 piston caliper clears the rotor well enough but the mounting points on the caliper and spindle won't clear as is. So, what if I milled the mounts off the caliper and fabbed a 3\4" thick steel bracket to mount to three out of the four bridge bolts on the caliper body. Just use longer bolts. Think that would be safe? Just thinking.

Greg

Attached picture 8264652-Dakota_toyota_caliper1.jpg

Re: First Gen Dakota \ Toyota brakes? - 09/08/14 09:23 PM

Looks like it could work. I don't know.

Greg

Attached picture 8264653-Dakota_toyota_caliper2.jpg
Posted By: redraptor

Re: First Gen Dakota \ Toyota brakes? - 09/09/14 01:14 AM

With the right material and a machine shop you can fab up about anything. But why?

Re: First Gen Dakota \ Toyota brakes? - 09/09/14 03:08 AM

Between cleaning out my basement and cutting the grass, it was a slow day. Cheaper than Wilwood's anyway.

Greg
Posted By: poorboy

Re: First Gen Dakota \ Toyota brakes? - 09/09/14 05:02 AM

Greg,
Is that going to clear the Dakota wheel?
I believe you will want to make a bracket to connect at the original mounting points. There is a lot of load applied to the mounting points when the brakes are applied, I doubt the small bolts would handle that the load. Those caliper mounting brackets have 90% of the brake load every time you step on the brakes, do you really want to trust those little bolts to stop your 4,000 lbs truck in an emergency stop? Gene
Posted By: I_bleed_MOPAR

Re: First Gen Dakota \ Toyota brakes? - 09/09/14 01:10 PM

Quote:

Greg,
I believe you will want to make a bracket to connect at the original mounting points. There is a lot of load applied to the mounting points when the brakes are applied, I doubt the small bolts would handle that the load. Those caliper mounting brackets have 90% of the brake load every time you step on the brakes, do you really want to trust those little bolts to stop your 4,000 lbs truck in an emergency stop? Gene

Rebuilt Dak calipers are dirt cheap. But I can understand the "do-it-myself" thoughts.

Tim

Re: First Gen Dakota \ Toyota brakes? - 09/09/14 07:15 PM

Quote:

Greg,

Yeah, as always, thanks for talking me down Gene. I must say though, if you squint at it a bit...

Attached picture 8265433-Dakota_toyota_caliper3.jpg

Re: First Gen Dakota \ Toyota brakes? - 09/09/14 07:16 PM

... it does kinda sorta look doable (with ARP bolts). Well, like they say, "Just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you SHOULD do something.

Thinkin' out loud.

Greg

Attached picture 8265434-Dakota_toyota_caliper4.jpg
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: First Gen Dakota \ Toyota brakes? - 09/14/14 01:37 PM

Looking at that hub and caliper, I would fab up a "flat" bracket that uses 4 bolts. 2 through the original holes, 2 through the toyota brackets.

If I can do this:

Then you can put those 'yota brakes on your gen 1 Dakota.

but, if I was going to mount custom brakes, I would also increase rotor size at the same time, which means bigger wheels. not as much to be gained by using stock rotors, but 4-pot calipers always look WAY cooler than floating single piston! just be sure to pay attention to the piston sizes of the toyota caliper in relation to the size of the original dakota caliper, and be sure it still lines up with what your master cylinder can support

Re: First Gen Dakota \ Toyota brakes? - 09/16/14 08:17 PM

Quote:

Looking at that hub and caliper, I would fab up a "flat" bracket that uses 4 bolts. 2 through the original holes, 2 through the toyota brackets.

If I can do this:

Then you can put those 'yota brakes on your gen 1 Dakota.

but, if I was going to mount custom brakes, I would also increase rotor size at the same time, which means bigger wheels. not as much to be gained by using stock rotors, but 4-pot calipers always look WAY cooler than floating single piston! just be sure to pay attention to the piston sizes of the toyota caliper in relation to the size of the original dakota caliper, and be sure it still lines up with what your master cylinder can support

What does the mount on that look like from the back? Any pics?

Greg
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: First Gen Dakota \ Toyota brakes? - 09/21/14 08:32 PM

I'll have to grab some. It's a simple piece of angle iron, 1/2" thick. 2 holes per 'flat'. The calipers are radial mount, so the bolts come in from the top of the caliper.
© 2024 Moparts Forums