Moparts

*Update* tilt column with a 4 speed

Posted By: 77ProStreet

*Update* tilt column with a 4 speed - 06/23/14 06:06 AM

I just found out why a tilt never came with a 4 speed in a truck. I had never tried it till now and I'm determined to make it work. Any of you guy tried this successfully? I'm thinking of relocating the ignition switch or cutting the clutch pedal and notching around the switch. Do you guys have any ideas?
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: tilt column with a 4 speed - 06/23/14 11:10 AM

Posted By: 85_Ram_4speed

Re: tilt column with a 4 speed - 06/23/14 12:06 PM

I never looked, but you mean the column won't fit between the pedals? I have a tilt column I was going to install in my truck that I converted to a 4-speed. I'll make it work too, but sounds like you might actually be ready to start your conversion. Put up pics please.

Re: tilt column with a 4 speed - 06/24/14 12:03 AM

It fits between the pedals just fine, its the low mount ignition with the rod that is in the way. I figured someone would have already tried this and had a solution. I guess I will be the "Ginny pig" and will post pictures.

Re: tilt column with a 4 speed - 06/25/14 03:13 AM

I haven't looked at my column in a while like I said, but if that is the typical GM style switch like I think it is, that whole mount could be cut off the column and moved up closer I would think. Then just shorten the rod up to fit. Seems like that might work--no?
Posted By: poorboy

Re: tilt column with a 4 speed - 06/25/14 04:28 AM

Moving the switch on a Mopar version of the tilt column would be a pita. You can, however gain the clearance you need by heating the pedal arm with a torch, (once removed from the car) and adding a slight bend to it, if you need perfection, you will have to bend it twice so the pedal pad is straight, and may have to lengthen it a bit for it to sit the same height as the brake pedal pad. Gene

Re: tilt column with a 4 speed - 06/26/14 07:33 AM

After trying locate a good spot for the ignition switch where it will clear the pedal and the rod is not in a bind. I have come to conclusion that I will have to cut the and channel the clutch pedal. My only question is will it be strong enough? I'm thinking it will but any of you guys do this before?

Re: tilt column with a 4 speed - 06/26/14 12:14 PM

If you clean the weld points to shiney metal and bevel the edges, and use the same size material to section it in, it should be just as strong. You could add a piece of straping following the new contours of the pedal rod to weld on one side (or both if you prefer) to strengthen it more.

Re: tilt column with a 4 speed - 06/27/14 06:29 AM

I had a welded, and custom bent clutch pedal on a 4 speed conversion we did in a Fury. That pedal held up better then anything else on that car, even with a 3500 lbs pressure plate. Gene
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: tilt column with a 4 speed - 06/27/14 09:42 AM

Did you ever make it up to the NW group in Arlington/Burlington? Ken Storie is a super welder..

Re: tilt column with a 4 speed - 07/02/14 01:16 AM

340Shorty....no I didn't make it. I have a buddy that I'm going to have weld it up. It will be done next week.

Re: tilt column with a 4 speed - 07/24/14 07:50 AM

Finally got my pedal back. I just have to sand and paint it. [image][/image]

Re: tilt column with a 4 speed - 07/25/14 01:12 AM

WOW, it needs that much clearance? I was thinking it only needed a little massaging.

Re: tilt column with a 4 speed - 07/30/14 05:04 AM

Well I finally got the time to fit my pedal back in and...BOOM! I now have a 4 speed truck with a tilt column.

[image][/image] [image][/image]

Re: tilt column with a 4 speed - 07/31/14 04:18 AM

Does the modified pedal clear the switch wiring? Looks kinda close in the pictures when the pedal is all the way up. Gene

Re: tilt column with a 4 speed - 07/31/14 06:00 AM

Yes it does. It is close but does clear.

Re: tilt column with a 4 speed - 08/02/14 01:41 PM

Huh. I guess I need to reevaluate this whole deal for my truck. I was unaware that the area of interference was that big. I may look into maybe moving the switch on the column instead of cutting up my pedal, but it is nice to know the issues involved and that it can be done. Thanks
© 2024 Moparts Forums