Moparts

1993 Highway Patrol Ramcharger

Posted By: MoparMike23

1993 Highway Patrol Ramcharger - 11/23/13 05:20 PM

Hey Guys,

Its been a while since I've posted on Moparts but I do check the forum regularly. I wanted to post about my latest score and ask if anyone knows more about these.

Back in 2005, I saw this 1993 Ramcharger parked in the Nevada Highway Patrol's storage lot. It had front end damage from an auto/ped collision that occured in 1997. I asked around regarding it but the case hadn't been settled and they couldn't get rid of the truck. I kept in contact with the Chief regarding it, asking them to contact me if it is released. A few weeks ago, I got a call from state purchasing and they released the truck. I was able to buy the truck thru an organization I'm part of that restores old highway patrol cars. I picked it up last week in Vegas and found it to be pretty complete. It only has 85k miles. It's a 5.9l Magnum / Auto / 4wd

I was wondering if there was a specific police package option for these trucks. It has LE badges on it but the only options I see are power windows and locks. It has the basic buckets with vinyl floors. Anyway, Thoughts???

Mike

Re: 1993 Highway Patrol Ramcharger - 11/23/13 05:22 PM

More Pics

Northbound from Vegas

Re: 1993 Highway Patrol Ramcharger - 11/23/13 05:24 PM

And a couple more....

Re: 1993 Highway Patrol Ramcharger *DELETED* *DELETED* - 11/23/13 05:26 PM

Post deleted by MoparMike23

Re: 1993 Highway Patrol Ramcharger - 11/23/13 05:29 PM

Although an older model, here is what it should look like...

Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: 1993 Highway Patrol Ramcharger - 11/23/13 09:12 PM

My first 87 was an X California police vehicle . There was nothing special about it..
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: 1993 Highway Patrol Ramcharger - 11/24/13 03:30 AM

wow! great score.

an auto/ped collision? man he must have been doing 90 mph when he hit the person. that is a heck of a dent in the hood,and the bumber is tweeked good also.

i bet it was a big settlement too...

did you get the radar/radio stuff with it?

Posted By: dynotune440

Re: 1993 Highway Patrol Ramcharger - 11/24/13 02:51 PM

Mike...
sweet find!
I will help with parts...
is the tank bad?
Posted By: basketcase

Re: 1993 Highway Patrol Ramcharger - 11/24/13 04:52 PM

nice score. did they let you keep the lights and the PD equipment?

Re: 1993 Highway Patrol Ramcharger - 11/24/13 05:00 PM

The crash was out on the interstate where the speed limit is 70mph. It did a good amout of damage to the truck. Enough shock to crack the fan shroud. I already replaced the hood, bumper, and push bumper, and straightened the core support. I now need a grill, headlights, and fan shroud. I have most of the police equipment, including the light bar, but all of the police wiring harnesses were cut when it was stripped.

Dyno, The fuel tank is completely shot. It has a crack in it and is full of sludge. All the metal components are shot as well. They corroded, including the filler neck and fuel pump / sending unit. I'm hoping the fuel lines are ok and the injectors. If you have anything, let me know.

Mike
Posted By: BulletBob

Re: 1993 Highway Patrol Ramcharger - 11/24/13 05:45 PM

I like your RC Mike!
Posted By: Forwardlook

Re: 1993 Highway Patrol Ramcharger - 11/24/13 08:11 PM

That is a very cool Ramcharger, thank you for saving it! Excellent pics too! I like your crew dually as well...
Posted By: RUMBLON

Re: 1993 Highway Patrol Ramcharger - 11/29/13 06:21 PM

Mike, I drove a quote "Police package" ramcharger for a NOrthern Nevada Sheriff's office for a few years in Lake Tahoe. I can tell you if it is anything like ours, THERE IS ABSOLUTLY NO add on for a police package. Being a MOPAR guy for our Department I got %^#& all the time about how poorly they handled. We finally went to Jeep Cherokees for a few years as they went anywhere and handled better. Ours had no power either. I am not sure of what engines were available but we had 318s. We also for one year had the DIPLOMAT How can a car be slower than the Ramcharger. This agency I retired from after 25 years and the Chevy Tahoes were great. I hate to say it.

In any case, I like RCs but I sure wouldnt chase anyoone in one they were NOT PURSUIT vehicles.

RUMBLON
Posted By: BulletBob

Re: 1993 Highway Patrol Ramcharger - 11/30/13 01:15 AM

I repaired vehicles for the MS HP & Water Patrol back in the day & they were the same as the Park Service ones that I fixed
All 318 & only a few with a Sure Grip
Posted By: dynotune440

Re: 1993 Highway Patrol Ramcharger - 11/30/13 05:07 PM

Mike...
If you get a chance, give me a call over the weekend...
Sam

Re: 1993 Highway Patrol Ramcharger - 11/30/13 05:47 PM

I didn't think there is anything different from a normal Ramcharger but I wanted to ask. The only things I see are the fleet grade vinyl floor and cloth seats, but those are available on civilian models too. I'm not sure on how this one is gonna drive, I still have more work to do, but if its like my daughters 93' with the Magnum 318, It will run pretty fast. The 92-93' Magnum trucks run pretty darn good. I have seen NHP Ramchargers with big aftermarket rear sway bars that the patrol added after purchasing them. Probably because they are a little squirrelly at speed.

I'm hoping today to get out and finish up cleaning the interior of the truck. I'll get a few more pictures up when I'm done.

Dyno, I'll call you today. Thanks

Mike
Posted By: Webster

Re: 1993 Highway Patrol Ramcharger - 12/01/13 06:09 PM

Looks like a fun truck to fix up. keep us posted

Re: 1993 Highway Patrol Ramcharger - 05/03/17 08:14 PM

I forgot to update my progress on this.

I finished up the Ramcharger in 2016, taking it to multiple shows and parades. I took 1st place in one of the largest emergency vehicle shows in California for its class. It is a great truck, runs good and is plenty fast. Probably to fast for the lousy brakes and handling. I was able to source most of the emergency equipment, including a Remington 870 Magnum Police shotgun.

Here are some picture...

Re: 1993 Highway Patrol Ramcharger - 05/03/17 08:16 PM

More pics...

Re: 1993 Highway Patrol Ramcharger - 05/03/17 08:18 PM

two more...

Posted By: buildanother

Re: 1993 Highway Patrol Ramcharger - 05/03/17 09:00 PM

Looks great! Does your dog get hungry when it stares at those rear hub caps?

Re: 1993 Highway Patrol Ramcharger - 05/03/17 10:42 PM

Ha....Spare water bowls

Re: 1993 Highway Patrol Ramcharger - 05/04/17 07:41 PM

that turned out fantastic!
Posted By: Devil

Re: 1993 Highway Patrol Ramcharger - 05/05/17 07:19 PM

Wow, awesome restoration! I miss my old Illinois State Police RamCharger. Same as yours, LE, but basic everything. HD cooler though.

Ryan
Posted By: Murfman1967

Re: 1993 Highway Patrol Ramcharger - 03/18/19 02:42 AM

I just got home from a fly and drive trip, I bought a 1993 NHP Ramcharger with a 5.9/518 combo in Reno, flew out late Wednesday night with my wife and daughter. The seller met me at the airport and I was a bit worried at first as it was running on 7 cylinders, he had mentioned a rough idle, but it was much worse than expected. I said the hell with it pressed on Thursday AM after buying some
Oil and antifreeze for the trip. The engine smoothed out at about 65 MPH on the highway so it seemed ok for the trip. Eventually Ininched it up to 80 MPH and made it to SLC Ut Thursday night. Friday we moved on to a detour in Ft Collins and during a gas stop After running 85-90 MPH across Wyoming she was running great, smooth idle and excellent power, woo hoo it fixed itself! Ran it up to 100 MPH and all was good in the world, unfortunately by the time I got to Ft Collins the miss had returned, but it was still smooth at 80 MPH so after partying for St Patty’s day we left late in the afternoon and ran to Council Bluffs Is, once again alternating running smooth or on 7 cylinders on various stops. Made it home this afternoon with no other issues besides the misfire. Averaged 13.5 MPG over the near 2000 miles and didn’t burn a drop of oil. (Rules out a bad plenum gasket, which is what I thought the problem might be.) Going to change the plugs tomorrow to see if it’s something that simple. [Linked Image]

Re: 1993 Highway Patrol Ramcharger - 03/18/19 02:14 PM

that is sweet!
Posted By: SattyNoCar

Re: 1993 Highway Patrol Ramcharger - 03/18/19 08:03 PM

Am I the only one who's first thought on this was Lone Wolf McQuade?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: 1993 Highway Patrol Ramcharger - 03/19/19 05:47 PM

All of you have great looking Ramchargers!

The NHP Ramcharger looks fantastic!!! You did a great job restoring the truck!!! Congratulations and way to follow through!

TUMBLON: Couple of things; The Tahoes you love were probably later years that were Fuel Injected and the earlier Ramchargers quite possibly two barrel 318's. Have to compare apples and apples. I would bet the RC was a heck of a lot more reliable!! And I don't think anyone would expect a 5200 pound 4wd truck to handle well.

As far as the Diplomats; depending on the year, many were optioned with 318-2 and 2.2 rear gears so acceleration was not good but top end was very respectable and some years lead the way excluding the Camaro and Mustang. And like the Ramcharger, super durable.
Posted By: savoy64

Re: 1993 Highway Patrol Ramcharger - 03/24/19 01:03 AM

my brother worked for pima co SO in arizona----did a 3 year stint as a range deputy----had a blazer to begin with---he said he broke the frame in 6 places before the command would agree it was done---then he got a dodge ramcharger----he beat on it the same and it didnt break---said he liked the 4 speed without the granny gear over the blazer with a granny(you always have low range)----he was so remote he would run for 3 days and sleep out along the way----home for 4 days...
© 2024 Moparts Forums