Moparts

what indicates a "dude" truck?

Posted By: bbtrux

what indicates a "dude" truck? - 11/14/13 03:45 AM

bought a real decent 71 pickup monday.always wanted a 68-71 era sweptline,got one right.started lookin round the net to learn more bout these trucks.not a plethora of web knowledge available,what i did find odd-one of the few telltales of a dude truck is a plain (non stamped or embossed ) tailgate.my truck had one (not awesome) repaint in the late 80s,and has a plain gate.do sweptline trucks have fender tags? where were build sheets in this era?
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: what indicates a "dude" truck? - 11/14/13 04:38 AM

All 71's had the flat tailgate.

Sheldon
Posted By: Soopernaut

Re: what indicates a "dude" truck? - 11/14/13 02:05 PM

There is no fender tag and finding a build sheet isn't common either. There is virtually no way to authenticate an original Dude unless it has original paint/stripe or you have the paperwork.

Here is what was included:

Attached picture 7923676-1970DudeBrochure.JPG
Posted By: VL21

Re: what indicates a "dude" truck? - 11/14/13 02:53 PM

That's funny, Don Knotts doing an ad for a "tough" truck ...
Posted By: dogdays

Re: what indicates a "dude" truck? - 11/14/13 04:35 PM

That was the intent.

R.
Posted By: rdrnr6970

Re: what indicates a "dude" truck? - 11/14/13 10:13 PM

strangely enough i just bought a dodge adventurer today,but last night i was looking over and dodge truck info i had a found a mcg issue from nov 98 with a blue and black 1971 dude truck on the cover...the article at the time says production numbers are unknown.it says they were longwheelbase pickups introduced in mid 1970.theres 2 registrys 1is adventurer.com i believe another is hpp/css registry.
Posted By: EarlKann

Re: what indicates a "dude" truck? - 11/15/13 01:06 AM

There is a blurb on AllPar about some of the Dude trucks having the same Vin prefix.

http://www.allpar.com/trucks/dodge/dude.html

There was a guy local to me who was trying to sell a 70/71 pickup that had the same vin. He was advertising it as a Dude, even though it had been repainted and there was no evidence at all that it ever had the stripes. To me there is a big difference between, "many Dude trucks have this vin", and "my truck has this vin, therefore it is a Dude".

I'd agree, only way to tell for sure is if it still has original paint and stripes.

Re: what indicates a "dude" truck? - 11/15/13 02:09 PM

Quote:

There is a blurb on AllPar about some of the Dude trucks having the same Vin prefix.

http://www.allpar.com/trucks/dodge/dude.html

I wish that information would disappear from the internet completely because it has no bearing on whether a truck is a Dude or not. It also has nothing to do with the sequence they rolled off the assembly line either.

There are also known Dude trucks built in Michigan...more incorrect info.
Posted By: bbtrux

Re: what indicates a "dude" truck? - 11/19/13 04:31 AM

ok, im assuming that i dontg have a "dude" truck,and if so,will never know.the mirrors dont look right,and mine doesnt have taillamp bezels.those items seem to be prerequisites,even though things like painted or chromed front bumper seemed to go either way.did trucks of this era get buildsheets routinely?would that even tell?im assuming i dont have a "dude",but that got me wondering bout the sheets...
Posted By: EarlKann

Re: what indicates a "dude" truck? - 11/19/13 05:17 AM

Quote:

ok, im assuming that i dontg have a "dude" truck,and if so,will never know.the mirrors dont look right,and mine doesnt have taillamp bezels.those items seem to be prerequisites,even though things like painted or chromed front bumper seemed to go either way.did trucks of this era get buildsheets routinely?would that even tell?im assuming i dont have a "dude",but that got me wondering bout the sheets...

Without the stripes you've got nothing. The tail light trim, smooth tailgate, and chrome were all available on the much more common Adventurer package.

Have never found a build sheet in a sweptline and don't remember anyone else mentioning them either.
Posted By: BulletBob

Re: what indicates a "dude" truck? - 11/19/13 05:40 AM

All the Dudes that I remember were all painted the High Impact colors There were two different ones in my hometown back in the 70's an orange one and a yellow one I've seen them in sublime green & had a distant cousin that had a red one
A guy in Ocean Springs MS has a lavender with white one

All the ones I've ever seen came with a 383

Re: what indicates a "dude" truck? - 11/19/13 08:14 PM

More standard colors were available too. Here are the colors for 1970. You could also probably order a special color as well. I've never seen Plum Crazy on the Dude colors list but there were some trucks in that color. There were even some non Dude trucks in that color.

Attached picture 7929537-GetAttachment.jpg

Re: what indicates a "dude" truck? - 11/19/13 08:16 PM

Bigger...

Attached picture 7929539-1970DudeBrochure2.jpg

Re: what indicates a "dude" truck? - 11/19/13 10:14 PM

I know of what's left of a plum crazy one
Posted By: WO23Coronet

Re: what indicates a "dude" truck? - 11/22/13 04:12 PM

There's the carcass of a yellow Dude sitting at my grandparents place

Re: what indicates a "dude" truck? - 11/22/13 06:17 PM

A friend of mine says that there's a original owner/original paint Hemi orange one that comes out of the garage around Lawrence KS on nice days
He says that I saw it when we went to their swap meet last year. I figure I'd remember it but I don't
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: what indicates a "dude" truck? - 11/22/13 07:29 PM

Memory loss is not an excuse Bob.. its a given for some of us..
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: what indicates a "dude" truck? - 11/22/13 08:44 PM

I had a turquoise 3/4 one given to me since it was going to the scrapper. I pulled the 383/727 & Dana out from under it. The Dana is now under my Challenger race car. I remember the guy I got it from beleived it to be a Dude but "stripe delete". I remember it had the white roof & tail gate pattern & rear bumper. He said the side stripes were deleted from the original owner. I didn't know any better back than & then scrapped it myself after I plucked the drivetrain.

Re: what indicates a "dude" truck? - 11/22/13 11:44 PM

Quote:

Larry with the memory loss & Pick and Put putting things up before I'm finished you'd think I had a prescription for that medical stuff
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: what indicates a "dude" truck? - 11/23/13 12:21 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Larry with the memory loss & Pick and Put putting things up before I'm finished you'd think I had a prescription for that medical stuff

Posted By: magnumcharger

Re: what indicates a "dude" truck? - 11/23/13 03:01 AM

Black Dude...blue interior. Possibly a one of one. Original paint and owner as well. And its a 383 too!

Attached picture 7933312-blackdude(7).jpg

Re: what indicates a "dude" truck? - 11/23/13 03:27 AM

I bet that is a one of one

Re: what indicates a "dude" truck? - 11/23/13 02:27 PM

Quote:

Black Dude...blue interior. Possibly a one of one. Original paint and owner as well. And its a 383 too!

I think you posted that in one of the other Dude threads and it was the only Black one I recall ever seeing.
© 2024 Moparts Forums