Moparts

84 Ram Trim, what is it made of?

Posted By: WyleECoyote

84 Ram Trim, what is it made of? - 11/13/13 12:37 AM

What type of metal is the side trim and tailgate trim on 84 trucks? Anyone recommend a polish for using while the trim is still attached? Thanks.

Doolie by jimbeameod, on Flickr

Dodge Tailgate by jimbeameod, on Flickr
Posted By: BulletBob

Re: 84 Ram Trim, what is it made of? - 11/13/13 12:47 AM

Anodizes aluminum
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: 84 Ram Trim, what is it made of? - 11/13/13 01:13 AM

Quote:

Anodizes aluminum

Anodized aluminimum...
Posted By: WyleECoyote

Re: 84 Ram Trim, what is it made of? - 11/13/13 01:38 AM

So is there any cleaning it or polishing it? Or does one just live with it all-naturell....?

Re: 84 Ram Trim, what is it made of? - 11/13/13 01:40 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Anodizes aluminum

Anodized aluminimum...

I knew my spellcheck was turned off

Re: 84 Ram Trim, what is it made of? - 11/13/13 01:48 AM

I buff the good & find more good buff it & replace the bad

I got lucky at P&P & got trim from a truck someone must have used NOS trim in the resto.

If you look at enough trucks you'll find what you need if needed
Posted By: hp383

Re: 84 Ram Trim, what is it made of? - 11/14/13 04:41 AM

If the clear anodizing has turned cloudy, there isn't much you can do with it except maybe strip it, polish the aluminum, and have it recoated.

I tried like heck to shine up a 78 Dodge truck grille and nothing would bring it back without stripping the anodizing.
Posted By: 85_Ram_4speed

Re: 84 Ram Trim, what is it made of? - 11/14/13 02:51 PM

Quote:

If the clear anodizing has turned cloudy, there isn't much you can do with it except maybe strip it, polish the aluminum, and have it recoated.

I tried like heck to shine up a 78 Dodge truck grille and nothing would bring it back without stripping the anodizing.

And to that, easy off oven cleaner in the yellow can, can be used to strip the old stuff off. Usually takes a few applications. Then the polishing can begin.

Also, that coating really helps protect against normal road debris. I spent alot of time stripping and polising the grill trim on my Dart and very shortly after, I had little tiny dig marks in it--esentially rock chips. It still looked way better than it was before, but you could not run a smooth polish cloth over it without it snagging a burr.
© 2024 Moparts Forums