Moparts

Jeep Update

Posted By: Mass_Mopar

Jeep Update - 07/03/13 11:58 AM

Got a new D30 housing under the front end, a new set of BFG A/T's and an alignment. On top of a new cooling and exhaust system, it's finally ready for some beach riding this summer

Attached picture 7763825-jeep.jpg
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: Jeep Update - 07/03/13 11:23 PM

Very Nice Ride.....Enjoy

Used to do quite a bit of surf-fishing out of Newburyport back in the day.....had a 75 Furd 2wd 6-banger with airplane tires.....that sucker ate up the sand

Rickster
Posted By: redraptor

Re: Jeep Update - 07/03/13 11:55 PM

Looks good! You picked that up a few months back didn't you?
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Jeep Update - 07/04/13 03:07 AM

A 1998 2 door?? Don't see those everyday, matter of fact, I don't think I've ever seen a newer one like that.
Posted By: ahy

Re: Jeep Update - 07/04/13 04:19 AM

Great vehicles. I made 2100 miles in 2 1/2 days in an '01 with my daughter. Loaded to the roof and pulling a trailer. It turned over 100k on that trip and now has 135k. It still drives very well.
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: Jeep Update - 07/04/13 04:22 AM

Good lookin' Cherocar

Re: Jeep Update - 07/10/13 11:25 PM

Quote:

Looks good! You picked that up a few months back didn't you?

Yep

Quote:

A 1998 2 door?? Don't see those everyday, matter of fact, I don't think I've ever seen a newer one like that.

It's a '98, 2-door, 5-speed manual, originally a canadian! It's not super rare but I'm definitely glad I found one in good shape.

Attached picture 7772234-jeep2.jpg

Re: Jeep Update - 07/10/13 11:34 PM

Quote:

Great vehicles. I made 2100 miles in 2 1/2 days in an '01 with my daughter. Loaded to the roof and pulling a trailer. It turned over 100k on that trip and now has 135k. It still drives very well.

So far so good for me... Made the 275 mile round trip last weekend averaging 17 mpg's on the new 31's with a fresh alignment. Kept my highway speed to 100 KMH which surprisingly when cross-checked with my phone's GPS was perfectly spot-on 62 MPH.
Posted By: pinkduster

Re: Jeep Update - 07/10/13 11:35 PM

I believe you and I got our XJs around the same time. The only real complaint I have about mine is all the interior squeaks and sounds that I had fix. Geeeez! I've never had a vehicle make so many irritating noises!!! Many of the noises come and go with temperature changes making them pretty difficult to track down, but I think I got them now.

Re: Jeep Update - 07/10/13 11:49 PM

I have 1 squeak in mine that hasn't been annoying enough to track down.. my charger on the other hand is a rattle box on wheels

Re: Jeep Update - 07/11/13 12:07 AM

One of my annoying squeaks was the spare tire. Make sure it's tight and it still squeaked once in a while until I put a small rag under the tire so the rubber wasn't against the metal part that it rests on. Then the dash...

Re: Jeep Update - 07/11/13 12:08 AM

My 69 Charger is TIGHT! No rattles or squeaks... Even with 240,000 miles!

Re: Jeep Update - 07/11/13 01:03 AM

Quote:

One of my annoying squeaks was the spare tire. Make sure it's tight and it still squeaked once in a while until I put a small rag under the tire so the rubber wasn't against the metal part that it rests on. Then the dash...

Nice. I'll have to check it, it does sound like my squeak is coming from that area. My charger squeaks the worst in the dash, the rest of the car just rattles

Re: Jeep Update - 07/19/13 09:13 PM

New Update - Got our new root tent!! It's awesome!

Posted By: buildanother

Re: Jeep Update - 07/19/13 11:28 PM

Wow, the dog looks a bit puzzled and that is an interesting setup on top like that I guess. Good for kids and probably not made for heavy drinker campers.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Jeep Update - 07/19/13 11:44 PM

Please explain the need to put a tent on top of the car? That seems very odd to me.
Posted By: Shoozy

Re: Jeep Update - 07/19/13 11:56 PM

Quote:

Please explain the need to put a tent on top of the car? That seems very odd to me.

My guess is flash flooding or alligators Never seen that before, looks intriguing.

Re: Jeep Update - 07/20/13 02:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

My guess is flash flooding or alligators Never seen that before, looks intriguing.

Several reasons-
Quick deploy/takedown. I can set it up in 10 mins, taking my time, by myself. No site prep, no poles to assemble, no separate ground tarp or rain fly. Takedown is just as simple.
It's cool! Feels like sleeping in a tree house. You get a better view, better air flow, and a bit more protection from rain and wild animals.
It's on the roof so it frees up a bunch of space inside the truck.
Downsides are
Its more expensive than a ground tent
It raises your center of gravity
It's harder to get in/ out of

Posted By: stumpy

Re: Jeep Update - 07/20/13 04:34 PM

Ok. Does the tent stay on top of the Jeep when you do the takedown?

Re: Jeep Update - 07/20/13 09:01 PM

Yep it bolts right to the roof racks and comes with a heavy duty cover
Posted By: Shoozy

Re: Jeep Update - 07/20/13 11:19 PM

Wondering how it would do in a good wind? I would think ground level could be secured better - how exactly would your unit be secured on site?
Posted By: MachoMan

Re: Jeep Update - 07/21/13 12:46 PM

Quote:

[ It's a '98, 2-door, 5-speed manual, originally a canadian! It's not super rare but I'm definitely glad I found one in good shape.

98--2 door--5spd--
It's more rare than you think.
Awesome find especially in that color. It's a keeper.

Re: Jeep Update - 08/28/13 09:41 PM

Quote:

Wondering how it would do in a good wind? I would think ground level could be secured better - how exactly would your unit be secured on site?

On-site? It's bolted to a 3300 lb jeep! It's made out of aluminum and heavy duty fabric, it's much more sturdy in the wind than my flimsy ground tent was.

Re: Jeep Update - 08/28/13 09:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

It's a '98, 2-door, 5-speed manual, originally a canadian! It's not super rare but I'm definitely glad I found one in good shape.

98--2 door--5spd--
It's more rare than you think.
Awesome find especially in that color. It's a keeper.

Thanks!! here's a few more pics from this summer's adventures...

My crane setup for easy on/off.. unfortunately my 7' door is too short to pull it into the garage

Tried a bit of mother's back-to-black on the faded blue trim, stuff seems to work great

Re: Jeep Update - 09/18/13 06:19 PM

Keeping my slow build page going

Welded up the rockers, cleaned up some rust over the windshield in the drip trays, and bedline'd everything under the trim along with the rear bumper.... getting ready for the salt assault

Bad pic from this morning

Attached picture 7857002-2.jpg
Posted By: cogen80

Re: Jeep Update - 09/21/13 02:00 AM

good looking jeep. i have been wanting one for some time now. 31's seem to be the perfect size for those things..

was looking at those roof tents a while back. they are really cool but real pricey from what i remember. guess you can't beat them though.

Re: Jeep Update - 09/23/13 06:27 PM

Quote:

good looking jeep. i have been wanting one for some time now. 31's seem to be the perfect size for those things..

was looking at those roof tents a while back. they are really cool but real pricey from what i remember. guess you can't beat them though.

Thanks and I agree, I love my 31s.. They rub at full lock on the stock LCAs, time for some nice adjustable ones...

Re: Jeep Update - 09/30/13 06:55 PM

Latest adventure to a friend's old cabin way up in NH backwoods...

Going thru Franconia

Small speed bump

After a good workout on the axe

The camp

Chipmunk hunting in the morning

Tent was great, no worries about the passing critter in the night

Heading out

Good weekend

Attached picture 7870675-IMG_20130928_123821_112.jpg
Posted By: DusterDave

Re: Jeep Update - 09/30/13 11:01 PM

Beautiful country out there! I especially like that pic of your Jeep getting back on the pavement by the pond and all of the fall colors in the background.

Re: Jeep Update - 10/01/13 07:28 PM

Thanks Dave! They're just getting going up there, should be even better in the next week or so

Posted By: 72d100

Re: Jeep Update - 10/01/13 10:28 PM

good looking jeep. makes me miss my 94 cherokee

Re: Jeep Update - 11/05/13 04:17 PM

Just rescuing my thread

Put a new pass front wheel bearing in, surprisingly not much of a fight compared to my old dakota. Now the XJ rolls smooth as butter. Oil change and it should be good for winter. Still gotta look up what fluid goes in the 5-speed and the T-case.

© 2024 Moparts Forums