Moparts

Why does my 92 Dakota ex cab, short box have 2 piece?

Posted By: hp383

Why does my 92 Dakota ex cab, short box have 2 piece? - 07/02/13 02:22 AM

My 92 Dak, it is a 2wd, extended cab, short box, has a two piece driveshaft with the CV joint.

Why was this done? I'm almost positive that my standard cad D100 long box drive shaft is no longer than this two piece design.

I am giving some thought to having my one piece measured and shortened if needed to fit into the Dak. But was curious as to why they made such a short truck with a two piece design.
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: Why does my 92 Dakota ex cab, short box have 2 piece? - 07/02/13 02:27 AM

Because the engineers know more than we do.
Posted By: poorboy

Re: Why does my 92 Dakota ex cab, short box have 2 piece? - 07/02/13 04:31 AM

Maybe the driveshaft angles are too tight for a single shaft?
Gene
Posted By: BulletBob

Re: Why does my 92 Dakota ex cab, short box have 2 piece? - 07/02/13 05:57 AM

the shaft would fall below the plane of the frame too far forward to clear obstacles most likely.

I did a 1 piece in a S10 Ex cab once & hi centered it at a point where the frame should sit solid & barely the exhaust pipe would touch
I found out immediately what else was dragging in the dirt when I got out on the road about 25 MPH
Had a small dent with an oval shaped swell around it at the point where it broke the plane of the frame about a foot ahead of where the two piece joined

One piece works good on Drag trucks that don't get as daily drivers
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: Why does my 92 Dakota ex cab, short box have 2 piece? - 07/03/13 04:12 AM

Quote:

My 92 Dak, it is a 2wd, extended cab, short box, has a two piece driveshaft with the CV joint.

Are you sure it has a cv joint??? Never saw one with a cv joint. Two piece with a center bearing yes.
© 2024 Moparts Forums