Moparts

New to me Ramcharger

Posted By: Ruppman

New to me Ramcharger - 06/30/13 10:46 PM

Here is that RC SE I bought a few weeks ago at the Farmington MN show and just brought it back last week. Drove it home 350 miles and while it's no powerhouse, it will cruise at 75-80 no problem and I even got 16+ mpg which I found amazing! 1980, 318, NP435, NP208, rebuilt engine, lots of new parts, clutch, tires, orig. from Montana, was a ranch truck, real solid. It doesn't have shoulder belts and I was surprised that shoulder belts were optional in 1980 still on trucks! low back bucket seats too. Was kinda wanting a 72-80 style dodge truck to play around with since I sold my Challenger RT and found this one for 3k so I figured I'd go for it!

mark

Attached picture 7760450-P6300001.JPG

Re: New to me Ramcharger - 06/30/13 10:47 PM

Attached picture 7760451-P6300002.JPG

Re: New to me Ramcharger - 06/30/13 10:48 PM

Attached picture 7760454-P6300003.JPG

Re: New to me Ramcharger - 06/30/13 10:49 PM

Attached picture 7760455-P6300004.JPG

Re: New to me Ramcharger - 06/30/13 10:49 PM

last pic

Attached picture 7760456-P6300005.JPG
Posted By: zrxkawboy

Re: New to me Ramcharger - 06/30/13 11:19 PM

Looks nice!
Posted By: Prince_Valiant

Re: New to me Ramcharger - 07/01/13 12:07 AM

wow! Great looking truck!!!

Always loved ramchargers...dad had a 79 trailduster (318/3-on-the-tree/fulltime 4wd), and then I was bequeathed my grandfather's 85 Ramcharger (318/2wd/2.94 gears). One day when I have too much money/space/time, I'll probably get another one, lol.
Posted By: Polarapete

Re: New to me Ramcharger - 07/01/13 01:29 AM

Very nice!! Looks to be a keeper. Oddly enough my Ramcharger has a Montana title, too. I have been seeing a lot of really nice '80s Dodge trucks and Ramchargers on Craigslist lately.

Re: New to me Ramcharger - 07/01/13 01:50 AM

Thanks, It's got some battle scars here and there but for a 33 YO truck, it ain't too bad. Front Floors are getting a little thin, probably due to wet carpet over the years.

mark
Posted By: Golden-Arm

Re: New to me Ramcharger - 07/01/13 02:04 AM

looks like a sweet score. you going to add a rollbar and/or soft top to it? i've had a lot of r/c's, but never a poptop.

Re: New to me Ramcharger - 07/01/13 02:08 AM

yeah, I have the factory rollbar it's just not installed. I'll probably pull the top and install it and look into getting a soft top for it too.
Posted By: Devil

Re: New to me Ramcharger - 07/01/13 02:16 AM

Looks awesome. New expedition vehicle!

Re: New to me Ramcharger - 07/01/13 02:19 AM

thanks Ryan, it'll be at Belvedere. Scott and I are gonna be in the swap area selling some stuff.
Posted By: swapman

Re: New to me Ramcharger - 07/01/13 05:18 PM

Quote:

thanks Ryan, it'll be at Belvedere. Scott and I are gonna be in the swap area selling some stuff.

Don't you mean Scott and I will be in the swap area DRINKING some stuff?

Take the Ute over to my place. We will put it in the Barn and put some hay around it. Then call the DEVIL.
Posted By: SuperStockWagon

Re: New to me Ramcharger - 07/01/13 08:25 PM

Nice Ramcharger! 1980 is my favorite year of the convertibles(and the last)..first year for flip foward rear seat as well as a few other one year only options for gen 1.
Posted By: 79machocharger

Re: New to me Ramcharger - 07/01/13 08:35 PM

I love that ramcharger, very nice one. The thing I like about it is that's it's a stick.

Re: New to me Ramcharger - 07/01/13 10:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Don't you mean Scott and I will be in the swap area DRINKING some stuff?

Take the Ute over to my place. We will put it in the Barn and put some hay around it. Then call the DEVIL.

yeah, cool idea, that's what i ment, sell a 5 dollar part and drink 52 beers, we can't get too drunk though like at my party I had Saturday night!

Re: New to me Ramcharger - 07/01/13 10:58 PM

Quote:

Nice Ramcharger! 1980 is my favorite year of the convertibles(and the last)..first year for flip foward rear seat as well as a few other one year only options for gen 1.

yeah, I didn't even know the rear seat did that till I started playing with it!
Posted By: Robbins

Re: New to me Ramcharger - 07/01/13 11:01 PM

I'm super jealous! That's bad to the bone!

Re: New to me Ramcharger - 07/01/13 11:03 PM

Quote:

I love that ramcharger, very nice one. The thing I like about it is that's it's a stick.

Thanks, that was one of the big reasons I liked it enough to pull the trigger on it too. If you put the np 435 in granny low and transfercase in 4lo, it really crawls!
Posted By: Forwardlook

Re: New to me Ramcharger - 07/01/13 11:05 PM

$3K?? Wow, that was a sweet deal! Congrats!

Re: New to me Ramcharger - 07/01/13 11:15 PM

Thanks everybody! It's nice these Mopar trucks are a bit cheaper to own and have fun with than the E body I sold a few months ago.

Posted By: basketcase

Re: New to me Ramcharger - 07/01/13 11:45 PM

that is sweet
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: New to me Ramcharger - 07/02/13 02:30 AM

Yes it is true, you are a thief...
Posted By: BulletBob

Re: New to me Ramcharger - 07/02/13 04:25 AM

That's cool!

I like the poptops the best
I want to build a 74 in a 2WD soft top lowered & a 75-80 4WD hardtop SE loaded out original
Posted By: BulletBob

Re: New to me Ramcharger - 07/02/13 04:28 AM

Quote:

Yes it is true, you are a thief...

I have to agree with Jim on that one You stole it!

Re: New to me Ramcharger - 07/02/13 08:38 PM

it looks a little better in the pics than in person like they all do but 3k was a very fair price. Jim will see it in person in a couple weeks at the CMC Belv. show.

mark
Posted By: 76440

Re: New to me Ramcharger - 07/03/13 08:26 AM

Nice looking ramcharger! Might find a buildsheet under the front carpet... I am curious as to the paint code off the core support tag. Sunburst Orange and Ginger were available that year. Almost looks Ginger to me.

If that is Ginger...it looks great! I have a loaded 80 TrailDuster.
Posted By: slax69gts

Re: New to me Ramcharger - 07/04/13 03:45 AM

speaking of paint, let me know when you need her buffed out. at the indy monster meet there was a 69 d200 camper special 318 4 spd reworked and good shape for $4500 i feel it was the deal of the weekend. yah, youre a crook....

Re: New to me Ramcharger - 07/05/13 04:21 PM

that sounds like a cool truck, You'll haveta come over and see how much dead paint it has. I don't think it has too much as it was waxed recently. But if it can get even shinier, great!

mark
Posted By: MachoMan

Re: New to me Ramcharger - 07/07/13 02:03 PM

Very Nice score..

Only thing I would do is paint wheels either offwhite or bodycolor as me likey steelies.

Re: New to me Ramcharger - 07/08/13 02:20 AM

yeah, that's what I thought too. the previous owner powder coated these wheels gray that he bought for this truck cause it had some other aftermarket wheels on it. Did the 1980 RC SE's come stock with the chrome slotted wheels you see alot on these 76-80 era Ramchargers or were the steelies stock and chrome optional?

mark
Posted By: 69HemiGTX

Re: New to me Ramcharger - 07/10/13 01:28 PM

Very nice RC! Sweet score! You don't have shoulder belts because the roof is removable. There wouldn't be any place to anchor them with it off.
Posted By: buildanother

Re: New to me Ramcharger - 07/10/13 02:00 PM

The 80 had chrome slots available but were only 7" wide compared to the 15x8's from 79 etc.

Re: New to me Ramcharger - 07/11/13 02:43 AM

Quote:

The 80 had chrome slots available but were only 7" wide compared to the 15x8's from 79 etc.

Thanks for the info

mark

Re: New to me Ramcharger - 07/11/13 02:52 AM

Quote:

Very nice RC! Sweet score! You don't have shoulder belts because the roof is removable. There wouldn't be any place to anchor them with it off.

That makes sense like the convert. E bodies didn't come with Shoulder belts but were optional back in 70-71. According to the factory owners manual they were optional and there are little plugs where they would go in the roof. Of course they would be gone with the roof off. Anybody's 74-80 have shoulder belts? Kinda curious.

mark

Re: New to me Ramcharger - 07/12/13 09:43 AM

Quote:

yeah, that's what I thought too. the previous owner powder coated these wheels gray that he bought for this truck cause it had some other aftermarket wheels on it. Did the 1980 RC SE's come stock with the chrome slotted wheels you see alot on these 76-80 era Ramchargers or were the steelies stock and chrome optional?

mark

HubCap standard. The wheels on yours are liikely off a newer dodge as they started painting the wheels grey on the later years..also your hubcaps are newer style.

80 Ramcharger SE with stock wheels and hubcaps pictured.

Optional wheels:
Aluminum Turbine
15x7 Chrome Slot
15x7 Wagon wheels

Shoulder belts were optional but pretty rare. It is a similar setup to what a early challenger would have...you do not need to use the shoulder belt all the time and if you removed the roof it went with it leaving you the waist belt only.

Attached picture 7773873-80rc.jpg

Re: New to me Ramcharger - 07/14/13 12:19 AM

Quote:

Quote:

mark

HubCap standard. The wheels on yours are liikely off a newer dodge as they started painting the wheels grey on the later years..also your hubcaps are newer style.

80 Ramcharger SE with stock wheels and hubcaps pictured.

Optional wheels:
Aluminum Turbine
15x7 Chrome Slot
15x7 Wagon wheels

Shoulder belts were optional but pretty rare. It is a similar setup to what a early challenger would have...you do not need to use the shoulder belt all the time and if you removed the roof it went with it leaving you the waist belt only.

Thanks for the info. I see the difference between your caps and mine. Makes sence on the shoulder belts but I would of thought by 1980 the govt. would of made the manufacturers install shoulder belts standard but I guess trucks were given a bit more room on the safety regulations. I don't need any shoulder belts, not like I'm gonna crash the thing anyway!

mark
Posted By: gts340swinger

Re: New to me Ramcharger - 07/15/13 01:54 AM

Wow, that is a really nice looking truck. $3k. YOu are buying the beer next weekend with all that leftover money.
Posted By: dynotune440

Re: New to me Ramcharger - 07/15/13 03:19 PM

nice RC!
I think it looks like Ginger to me...have a big horn and that is one of its colors.
I think that white factory wagons would look great on this one...

Re: New to me Ramcharger - 07/16/13 01:33 AM

thanks Eric, It will be out there Sunday for sure and at Anderson Dodge. Maybe Saturday too but I might go to the meltdown drags at Byron Saturday!

mark

Re: New to me Ramcharger - 07/16/13 01:36 AM

Quote:

nice RC!
I think it looks like Ginger to me...have a big horn and that is one of its colors.

Thanks, yeah, I'm not sure Sunburst or Ginger, what's the code for each for 1980?

Re: New to me Ramcharger - 07/16/13 09:20 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the info. I see the difference between your caps and mine. Makes sence on the shoulder belts but I would of thought by 1980 the govt. would of made the manufacturers install shoulder belts standard but I guess trucks were given a bit more room on the safety regulations. I don't need any shoulder belts, not like I'm gonna crash the thing anyway!

mark

Does yours have the pins that stick out on the male part of the buckle for shoulder belts?( e-body style?)

I can check the codes later.

Re: New to me Ramcharger - 07/16/13 11:11 PM

nope, just lap belt buckle/clip only.

Attached picture 7779083-P7160006.JPG

Re: New to me Ramcharger - 07/16/13 11:13 PM

Attached picture 7779085-P7160007.JPG
Posted By: AdventurerSport

Re: New to me Ramcharger - 07/18/13 06:36 PM

I've always loved the '70s Dodge trucks (probably why I still have two of them)

I saw that one at the Farmington show, good buy! Congrats! I'd like to get a Ramcharger for my collection someday, but I'd rather have a 74-79 with Fulltime 4wd and 727 trans (my preference). I'd love to have one with full removable roof as well...even a Plymouth version would be cool!

JS

Re: New to me Ramcharger - 07/19/13 02:44 AM

Quote:

I've always loved the '70s Dodge trucks (probably why I still have two of them)

I saw that one at the Farmington show, good buy! Congrats! I'd like to get a Ramcharger for my collection someday, but I'd rather have a 74-79 with Fulltime 4wd and 727 trans (my preference). I'd love to have one with full removable roof as well...even a Plymouth version would be cool!

JS

thanks, there was tons of people looking at it including me and after I drove it, for 1/10 the money I sold my Challenger convert. for, I figure, what the hell, buy it! And the full time four wheel drive is fine but I actually like the part time with the factory lockout hubs which to me kinda screams the 70's-80's era 4X4 trucks from the big three. Plus the 4 speed was something I wanted too! Yea, I'm happy with it!

Re: New to me Ramcharger - 07/27/13 09:30 AM

Here is the setup for the shoulder belt connection. The shoulder belt part hooks into the lap belt on this pin.

The paint code should be on the lower left corner of the tag.

Perhaps T6 or T2?

Attached picture 7791855-Seatbeltbuckle-Copy.jpg

Re: New to me Ramcharger - 07/27/13 09:36 AM

Shoulder side

Attached picture 7791856-Shoulderconnection-Copy.jpg

Re: New to me Ramcharger - 07/29/13 10:18 PM

Quote:

Here is the setup for the shoulder belt connection. The shoulder belt part hooks into the lap belt on this pin.

The paint code should be on the lower left corner of the tag.

Perhaps T6 or T2?

yea, I see the pin. mine doesn't have the pin so I guess they all didn't come with the provision for shoulder belt hookup to the lap belt. T6 is the code on my tag.

Re: New to me Ramcharger - 07/30/13 08:04 AM

Quote:

yea, I see the pin. mine doesn't have the pin so I guess they all didn't come with the provision for shoulder belt hookup to the lap belt. T6 is the code on my tag.

The cashmere/brown 80 ramcharger pictured above had the lapbelt with pin on the driver's side only.

T6-Ginger

I guess I better get rubbing on my cashmere/ginger 80TD. Yours looks really nice.
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: New to me Ramcharger - 07/30/13 11:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

nice RC!

Thanks, yeah, I'm not sure Sunburst or Ginger, what's the code for each for 1980?

I want a Mary Ann Ramcharger, white bottom with red top...

Re: New to me Ramcharger - 07/31/13 04:30 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The cashmere/brown 80 ramcharger pictured above had the lapbelt with pin on the driver's side only.

T6-Ginger

I guess I better get rubbing on my cashmere/ginger 80TD. Yours looks really nice.

thanks, I was having trouble finding that code/color chart for 80 Dodge truck colors online. I thought my paint color was the sunburst orange.
The truck has been painted in some areas but under the hood looks original.

mark

Re: New to me Ramcharger - 07/31/13 04:31 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

nice RC!

I want a Mary Ann Ramcharger, white bottom with red top...

there ya go Jim, Ginger is all mine though!
Posted By: 300by500

Re: New to me Ramcharger - 07/31/13 05:22 AM

At $3,000, you did GREAT! Nice ride!

Re: New to me Ramcharger - 07/31/13 04:00 PM

thanks, that's what I thought when I bought it. now I want to pull the top off and try to find a bimini top for it. I saw on Ramcharger central there was a guy back in 05 that made his own. Isn't there a company out there that makes one? It's gotta be a relatively simple deal.
Posted By: Ramwarrior

Re: New to me Ramcharger - 08/01/13 01:32 AM

Quote:

Nice RC.

31/10.5/15r? Lifted?

Thanks.

Re: New to me Ramcharger - 08/01/13 07:49 AM

Quote:

thanks, that's what I thought when I bought it. now I want to pull the top off and try to find a bimini top for it. I saw on Ramcharger central there was a guy back in 05 that made his own. Isn't there a company out there that makes one? It's gotta be a relatively simple deal.

http://www.b-dco.com/ecom/shop/item.aspx?itemid=1910
http://ramchargercentral.com/rcs-tds-dur...879/#msg1841879

Re: New to me Ramcharger - 08/01/13 03:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Nice RC.

31/10.5/15r? Lifted?

Thanks.

Thanks, they are Firestone Destinations 165/75/15's and approx. 31 inches tall. I'll probably put Goodrich All- terrain TA's on it enventually cause I like them for looks and a nice road/trail tire. It's not lifted.

mark

Re: New to me Ramcharger - 08/01/13 03:58 PM

Quote:

Quote:

http://www.b-dco.com/ecom/shop/item.aspx?itemid=1910
http://ramchargercentral.com/rcs-tds-dur...879/#msg1841879

great, thanks!
© 2024 Moparts Forums