Moparts

Fixing a rusty Wrangler YJ

Posted By: coffeeman383

Fixing a rusty Wrangler YJ - 06/20/13 07:26 PM

Am considereing buying a 'typical' $1000 Michigan Jeep Wrangler YJ (1987-1995) as a beater/summer toy/whatever. Am very familiar with Michigan rust in general. My question is: If/when the frame/spring mounts/body mounts are rusty, are these Wranglers fixable with frame patches, welding plate, etc? Or once rusted I should run away screaming. Don't really want to consider a new frame.

I'm considering cheap, that's why a YJ and not a TJ.

Any experiences?
Posted By: bonefish

Re: Fixing a rusty Wrangler YJ - 06/20/13 10:18 PM

you could buy this one for 3 grand,runs perfect no rust.

Attached picture 7749456-651.jpg
Posted By: Golden-Arm

Re: Fixing a rusty Wrangler YJ - 06/20/13 10:27 PM

you should ask this in the truck forum.
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: Fixing a rusty Wrangler YJ - 06/20/13 11:41 PM

this is my opinion...
Posted By: Cooter

Re: Fixing a rusty Wrangler YJ - 06/21/13 02:26 AM

A frame swap would be 10 times easier than trying to fix a rusty Michigan YJ frame.
Posted By: poorboy

Re: Fixing a rusty Wrangler YJ - 06/21/13 04:31 AM

Quote:

A frame swap would be 10 times easier than trying to fix a rusty Michigan YJ frame.

Even in northern IL, when that rear spring perch rots away, expect to replace the entire rear of the frame, from in front of the rear perches all around to the same point on the other side. You won't be able to find anything to weld to, otherwise. Then while your there replacing the rear crossmember and spring perches on the frame, you can put in the large patches you will need at both rear body mounts. Of course, you will then probably have to replace both sides of the body tub..... the question is where do you want to stop fixing rust this time, so you know where you have to start next time, probably next year about this time.
Gene
© 2024 Moparts Forums