Moparts

opinion wanted:roll pan or bumper?

Posted By: turbododgepirate

opinion wanted:roll pan or bumper? - 05/23/13 04:17 AM

So, for my pickup a black powdercoated Westin step bumper and a roll pan seem to be the same basic price. I like the idea of a bumper back there... But like the look of the roll pan too
Posted By: m88mark

Re: opinion wanted:roll pan or bumper? - 05/23/13 04:45 AM

Bumper
Posted By: Golden-Arm

Re: opinion wanted:roll pan or bumper? - 05/23/13 04:57 AM

if the bumper is smooth, like a factory one, that would be sweet. if it has that gawdawful crease that runs across the entire thing (or worse yet, two of them) go with the pan. i hate the fact that guys don't build smooth step bumpers anymore. they all seem to have the horizontal crease. rollpans are sweet, if they match the body lines correctly.

let's see some more pics, while you're at it.
Posted By: 77ProStreet

Re: opinion wanted:roll pan or bumper? - 05/23/13 06:48 AM

Roll pan. Where are you getting yours?
Posted By: ahy

Re: opinion wanted:roll pan or bumper? - 05/23/13 07:35 AM

If you want to use it as a truck, a bumper makes loading and towing easier and protects the body. That would be my choice.
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: opinion wanted:roll pan or bumper? - 05/23/13 12:58 PM

Attached picture 7716054-rearoftruck.jpg
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: opinion wanted:roll pan or bumper? - 05/23/13 01:21 PM

I like roll pans for looks.

just know that a low speed impact with a roll pan will take out your roll pan, tail gate and possibly cause severe damage to your bed. same impact with a bumper will only damage the bumper.

if you can accept that risk, roll pans give a nice clean look to the back end of a truck.

this is the only picture I have of the back end. kind of a cool picture, but doesn't really show off the roll pan all that well...

Posted By: basketcase

Re: opinion wanted:roll pan or bumper? - 05/23/13 03:46 PM

Quote:

Bumper

the best would be a chrome rear bumper off a Rasm Charger, but I'd go with a step just to protect the truck.
Posted By: 76dodgeboy

Re: opinion wanted:roll pan or bumper? - 05/23/13 03:52 PM

If its a street strip only and not pulling anything roll pan. If it'll have truck duties a bumper. But as mentioned a Non step bumper looks good also. They came on trucks aswell
Posted By: bigdad

Re: opinion wanted:roll pan or bumper? - 05/23/13 05:57 PM

I looked and looked, no stock nice non step bumper around so, made a roll pan

Attached picture 7716304-2003_0117pickupics0068.JPG
Posted By: dogdays

Re: opinion wanted:roll pan or bumper? - 05/23/13 08:44 PM

rolled pan = bodywork, over and over

bumper is better if you actually drive it

R.
Posted By: pinkduster

Re: opinion wanted:roll pan or bumper? - 05/23/13 09:53 PM

Love your truck! Roll pan without a doubt!
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: opinion wanted:roll pan or bumper? - 05/23/13 10:34 PM

Another fan here for the roll pan.....all depends on the use and look you're going for

Rickster

Re: opinion wanted:roll pan or bumper? - 05/23/13 11:55 PM

Quote:

R.

What body work? If its specific to the truck minamal work is needed. Paint isn't body work

Re: opinion wanted:roll pan or bumper? - 05/24/13 01:05 AM

Quote:

Quote:

R.

What body work? If its specific to the truck minamal work is needed. Paint isn't body work

I believe he means: if you get hit or maybe back into something it could mean endless bodywork

Never was a concern for me

Rickster
Posted By: 11secdart

Re: opinion wanted:roll pan or bumper? - 05/24/13 01:34 AM

Roll pan, My truck came with a painted step bumper when I bought it new, I finally found a decent chrome one at Carlisle a few years ago and ran that for awhile and last fall I bought a roll pan from Summit and had it painted along with the tailgate. I really like they look.

Attached picture 7716761-IMG_0236.JPG

Re: opinion wanted:roll pan or bumper? - 05/24/13 02:03 AM

I can verify those rear bumper can give fairly easy. I Used my old daily driver/workforce to push a truck and was jackazzing around and the trucks bumper I was pushing buckled from my rear bumper at a 10-15mph hit. Both looked to be the same bumper too.
Posted By: poorboy

Re: opinion wanted:roll pan or bumper? - 05/24/13 04:31 AM

Having watched way too many idiots try to back a car or truck up in my driveway, and watching way too many people try to parallel park, if the truck gets parked where the general public drives, I definitely want as much additional protection as possible. Give me a real bumper, not the currently available wimpy step bumpers or roll pans. The current step bumper on my Dakota has both rear corners bent, both of which we results of parking where the general public had access.
I was standing in line at the post office one morning and some lady was parked behind my old truck. When she pulled out, there wasn't enough room between the back of my truck and the front of hers, so when she pulled forward the two bumpers met, instead of backing up, she stepped on the gas to push through. I watched my truck roll up against the park pin and stop moving, but she kept pulling forward until she made enough clearance. My rear bumper was shortened and reinforced, but it still twisted the end up a little. I hope the front bumper on her late 80 Chevy pickup folded back into her tire and ruined it by the time she got where ever she was going.

There is no way I would put a roll pan on something I drove daily and like. Gene

Re: opinion wanted:roll pan or bumper? - 05/24/13 11:46 PM

Quote:

Having watched way too many idiots try to back a car or truck up in my driveway, and watching way too many people try to parallel park, if the truck gets parked where the general public drives, I definitely want as much additional protection as possible. Give me a real bumper, not the currently available wimpy step bumpers or roll pans. The current step bumper on my Dakota has both rear corners bent, both of which we results of parking where the general public had access.
I was standing in line at the post office one morning and some lady was parked behind my old truck. When she pulled out, there wasn't enough room between the back of my truck and the front of hers, so when she pulled forward the two bumpers met, instead of backing up, she stepped on the gas to push through. I watched my truck roll up against the park pin and stop moving, but she kept pulling forward until she made enough clearance. My rear bumper was shortened and reinforced, but it still twisted the end up a little. I hope the front bumper on her late 80 Chevy pickup folded back into her tire and ruined it by the time she got where ever she was going.

There is no way I would put a roll pan on something I drove daily and like. Gene

then this is what you should have....LOL

Rickster
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: opinion wanted:roll pan or bumper? - 05/25/13 01:26 AM

Quote:

Quote:

then this is what you should have....LOL

Rickster

Posted By: poorboy

Re: opinion wanted:roll pan or bumper? - 05/25/13 01:56 AM

How about this?

Attached picture 7717992-48plymouth003.JPG
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: opinion wanted:roll pan or bumper? - 05/25/13 03:12 AM

in a way with poorboy,for a daily driver I noticed they dont tailgate the stepside like they do the roll pan.

6" pipe with a recever hitch about rad cap high on a ricer car.

Attached picture 7718087-stepsidebacktostock.jpg
Posted By: pinkduster

Re: opinion wanted:roll pan or bumper? - 05/25/13 03:47 AM

Quote:

Another fan here for the roll pan.....all depends on the use and look you're going for

Rickster

Posted By: Kevin I

Re: opinion wanted:roll pan or bumper? - 05/25/13 05:11 AM

I'm a big fan of the non-step bumpers.

Re: opinion wanted:roll pan or bumper? - 05/25/13 10:39 PM

Quote:

Beautiful Truck....

Rickster
Posted By: bigdad

Re: opinion wanted:roll pan or bumper? - 05/28/13 01:42 AM

Quote:

me too,looks great
Posted By: hp383

Re: opinion wanted:roll pan or bumper? - 05/28/13 02:33 AM

roll pan, or non-step bumper. But I really like the look af a well installed roll pan.
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: opinion wanted:roll pan or bumper? - 05/28/13 04:04 AM

They look good on bigger trucks too..

© 2024 Moparts Forums