Moparts

cooling system stop leak recommendation, pls?

Posted By: rnch

cooling system stop leak recommendation, pls? - 05/11/13 06:08 PM

My '85 Ram (318, 120K) must be "burning" a small amount of anti-freeze, about 12 ounces every 300 miles.

I say this because: All new heater & radiator hoses, new pressure cap, no obvious leaks in around the engine/hoses/radiator. The exhaust pipe is often "wet" inside and the ground under the tail pipe tip shows fluid build up when idled in one place for an extended period of time. The overflow tank goes down about 2 inches every 300 miles.

No evidence of antifreeze on the oil dipstick, never overheats, even with the A/C on and in stop & go traffic.

Can someone here please recommend a stop leak that will slow/fix this slow leak...but NOT stop up the radiator/colling system and make it overheat?

Or should I just continue to keep an eye on the overflow tank level and keep adding antifreeze/water? Perhaps this is not worth doing anything about??
Thanks!
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: cooling system stop leak recommendation, pls? - 05/11/13 07:02 PM

Bars leak tablets. Gm uses them. They work real well. Dont use the liquid bars leak or silver seal.
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: cooling system stop leak recommendation, pls? - 05/11/13 07:03 PM

Here is a link with the part number. web page
Posted By: bboogieart

Re: cooling system stop leak recommendation, pls? - 05/11/13 08:03 PM

Thanx for that, I have a similar problem and was going to ask this same question.
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: cooling system stop leak recommendation, pls? - 05/11/13 09:50 PM

Find the problem and fix it !! Dont try to cover it up with somekind of a band aid. Sounds like a head gasket is going bad ..
Posted By: Golden-Arm

Re: cooling system stop leak recommendation, pls? - 05/11/13 09:56 PM

coarse ground black pepper also works. it slips into places where there is seepage, then it swells, stopping the leak. seriously.

Re: cooling system stop leak recommendation, pls? - 05/12/13 10:01 PM

Quote:

Find the problem and fix it !! Dont try to cover it up with somekind of a band aid. Sounds like a head gasket is going bad ..

In a Perfect World, perhaps. But for a "back up vehicle" that I won't even put 3K a year on.......

Posted By: 76dodgeboy

Re: cooling system stop leak recommendation, pls? - 05/12/13 10:32 PM

There should be some water at your tailpipe. Most all vehicles spit moisture at the tailpipe. Hence the exhaust Rusting at all the low spots.

As for it being a backup vehicle I second fixing it right. You'll kick yourself in the Azz when you have to price it do to other vehicle needing repairs and it blows a head gasket or something else

Re: cooling system stop leak recommendation, pls? - 05/12/13 10:36 PM

Quote:

There should be some water at your tailpipe. Most all vehicles spit moisture at the tailpipe. Hence the exhaust Rusting at all the low spots.

As for it being a backup vehicle I second fixing it right. You'll kick yourself in the Azz when you have to price it do to other vehicle needing repairs and it blows a head gasket or something else

I'm still not totally convinced it has a blown head gasket. It NEVER overheats, even when stuck in stop-n-go traffic with the A/C on full blast, idles so smooth I can count each cylinder firing, a recent spark plug change showed NO variance from plug to plug on color or deposits build ups.

Still, the anti-freeze is going somewhere......
Posted By: Golden-Arm

Re: cooling system stop leak recommendation, pls? - 05/12/13 11:45 PM

go to the parts store, and get a uv dye kit, with a blacklight pen. add the dye, run the car, then get out and find the leak. if it is leaking into the combustion chambers, it will still fluoresce at the tailpipe, and be visible with the light. the kit costs like 15-50 bucks, depending on how fancy you go. can be used in oil, a/c and water stuff, to find almost any leaks.

FIND YOUR LEAK

Re: cooling system stop leak recommendation, pls? - 05/13/13 12:08 AM

Quote:

go to the parts store, and get a uv dye kit, with a blacklight pen. add the dye, run the car, then get out and find the leak. if it is leaking into the combustion chambers, it will still fluoresce at the tailpipe, and be visible with the light. the kit costs like 15-50 bucks, depending on how fancy you go. can be used in oil, a/c and water stuff, to find almost any leaks.

FIND YOUR LEAK

Excellent idea and product! Gotta settle this in my own mind before any repairs (stop gap or pernament) are done; I can use this tool on multiple cars of mine.

Posted By: jerseybud

Re: cooling system stop leak recommendation, pls? - 05/13/13 01:01 AM

1. I agree about the pellets. I have used them in 1/4s or 1/8s, not whole ones
2. Check your timing chain cover and water pump weep hole. They love to leak and be sneaky about it, and can be temperature dependent (ie leaks when warm not hot, T-stat not open, but never any other time, etc)
Posted By: pushbutton

Re: cooling system stop leak recommendation, pls? - 05/13/13 02:00 AM

Look real close around the thermostat housing,it could have a slight leak that engine heat is drying up.
Posted By: 76dodgeboy

Re: cooling system stop leak recommendation, pls? - 05/13/13 03:47 AM

Blown head gasket doesn't always cause it to overheat. It can be going into your oil pan. It could leak just about anywhere and as stated heat could be drying it rite up.
I didn't know they had the dye for coolant systems. Good to know
Posted By: beedees

Re: cooling system stop leak recommendation, pls? - 05/13/13 11:05 PM

Taste the water @ the tailpipe, if it's not sweet-drop a tablet in it.
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: cooling system stop leak recommendation, pls? - 05/14/13 12:57 AM

Quote:

Taste the water @ the tailpipe, if it's not sweet-drop a tablet in it.

and don't burn your lips on the tailpipe
© 2024 Moparts Forums