Moparts

project shorty

Posted By: lifted85

project shorty - 05/04/13 02:05 AM

well time to start a build thread in the next few week's i will be starting the build. truck is a 81 d150, /6 np435, she will be getting a 74 318, hedman header's, edelbrock 4bbl intake, holley or eddy carb. tranny is a 727 with a TF-3 kit installed, truck will also be getting a full 5 on 5.5 swap along with the rear being a spring under axle swap. hei ignition. truck will be a daily driver/cruiser. plan is to build the 318 in it or maby down the road put a big block in her. but right now i think the little 318 will do over all the body is in good shape, maby a few little dings in the fender's nothing i cant fix. here is the day we found her we traded a ford ranger (that we got for free) for her
Posted By: Golden-Arm

Re: project shorty - 05/04/13 03:03 AM

dodgeconnection.com has a lot of stuff you'll need. i'm always envious when i see a stick in someones truck. now, i hate you.
Posted By: 76dodgeboy

Re: project shorty - 05/04/13 04:33 AM

You still have the driveshaft? If so Id be interested.

Re: project shorty - 05/04/13 05:25 AM

Quote:

dodgeconnection.com has a lot of stuff you'll need. i'm always envious when i see a stick in someones truck. now, i hate you.

I had a a833 for it but ended up selling it but im going to keep the peddle stuff because when I come across another a833 the 4spd is going back in an 76dodgeboy IIRC I think I still have the drive line I will have to check.
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: project shorty - 05/04/13 06:49 AM

You need my spare OD833. Why are you going to the 5.5 lug pattern? Id stay with the 4.5s because of wheel selection..
Posted By: BulletBob

Re: project shorty - 05/04/13 08:49 AM

Quote:

Why are you going to the 5.5 lug pattern? Id stay with the 4.5s because of wheel selection..

Re: project shorty - 05/04/13 03:38 PM

Just let me know. I only need the drive shaft. I have a slant 6/833od truck Im swapping to a 318/np435

Re: project shorty - 05/17/13 04:26 AM

went n picked the truck up tonight after it sitting for a year an planning Friday or Saturday I should start some work on it

Re: project shorty - 05/19/13 09:23 PM

painted the valve cover's here she is getting loaded up an ready to go home

Re: project shorty - 06/09/13 04:26 AM

got the front clip off an the seat's out. got 1 fender to replace and I have to do some patching in the cab as the last owner must not known how to weld an they burned through some of the metal

Re: project shorty - 06/22/13 11:57 PM

hey guy's a little update, got the motor painted, waiting to put the timing cover, new oil pump ect on because still waiting for the new timing chain to get here, ended up going with a progear set up.. we painted the fram an wire wall think it turned out pretty good might have to do some touch up's. also traded my pacer brand 5 on 5 1/2 wheel's for a set of 15x8 eagle alloy's 5 on 4.5 so I will be staying small bolt pattern. the reason why is because I will be pulling the rear end out of my 77 power wagon an putting in the 2wd, 77 has 3.54 gear's. also ordered a pair of dynomax super turbo's, did;nt want flowmaster every 1 an there grandmother run them, plus these should give a nice town.. here are some pic's

Re: project shorty - 06/29/13 06:04 AM

well went to go pick my tranny up today, talked to him a few day's before, he said that he needed a tool to pull something out an should be done the next day. All he had to do was check the clutches an install my new valve body, well few day's went by an today we go down to see if it's done it's still in the back of his truck, nothing has been touched well I found a buddy an is doing it for me now, took it out to him tonight an watched him pull the pan. there was some fine metal shaving's but im installing new set on steele's an clutches an should be good.. I also got the cab sanded today, oil pump installed. still a bit to do before august 15nth..
Posted By: magnum440d100

Re: project shorty - 06/29/13 06:54 AM

Looking great

Just got my 72 shorty back together and test driven. I'm running the dynomax super turbos. 2.5" x pipe with turn downs directly after the muffler, right before the axle. It has a nice throaty tone at idle, but I can actually hold a conversation with my passenger at cruising speed. I only had it in overdrive for a couple miles, but at 2500 rpm, there was no drone.

I think you'll be happy with the dynomax's

Keep the pics coming. You're making me want to pull my front end apart to clean and paint

Re: project shorty - 06/29/13 07:36 AM

thanks ya it was the dynomax muffler's or the fullboar race muffler's, every 1 told me go with flowmaster's, I hate them, they to me sound like penny's in a coffee can lol. every car/truck that has a flowmaster sound's the same to me if it's a ford, chevy, dodge. I will probably dump the muffler's at the axle or run them out the side before the rear wheel's at like a 45 deg angle. man I cant wait to get this girl on the road it's been 100% a budget build lol. might not get paint this year but who car's I like primer better

Re: project shorty - 06/29/13 07:51 AM

I was going to turn them 45* out also, but because I'm trying to keep my truck looking stock, I didn't want tail pipes showing. They are tucked up and out of sight.

Speaking of budget build, I bought my trans a year ago. Just recently bought the clutch and stuff for the swap. I'm using old dynomax's that came off a motor home in exchange for glass packs, don't ask me why. The chrome tips were so rusted, I scraped the rust off with a razor blade, then steel wool and polish.

The trans swap was ~$600 spread over almost a year

Exhaust was ~$120, the majority of it being the xpipe. Mufflers were free/traded

Patience pays off. Just keep that test drive in mind, but don't rush.

Last question. Are you leaving the 4 speed pedals in? That'd be trick to drive along one day with a passenger, and press the clutch pedal in "OH NO, my clutch won't disengage!!!" Haha

Re: project shorty - 06/29/13 10:38 AM

I will probably remove the clutch pedal but will keep every thing because as soon as I find a another a833 I plan on swapping it in.. but I got a question for ya, ok to install a auto brake pedal ( pedal is wider) do you have to remove the steering column ect?? I have not looked into it much but just thought I would ask lol.. aint the pedal in the same location as a auto but the pedal is wider right? or do I got to change the whole set up? ya I paid $30 for the pair of muffler's off ebay, paid $200 for the 318 I picked up last summer for my other truck, the tranny came out of a 74 power wagon w200 that I traded a suburban for, but also got a set of 3/4 ton axle's for my other build so that was a plus, paid $300-$500 for the dodge it's self.. kind of fun building it on a budget lol BUT I would love to have a unlimited amount of cash for it but hey this way make's if more fun..

Re: project shorty - 06/29/13 11:30 AM

I've never pulled pedals out of a lifestyle era truck. In my 63, there was a bolt that ran through every pedal, undo that bolt and watch out for the overcenter spring on the clutch pedal. Not sure it's the same though for the newer trucks. I'd imagine there is still a large through bolt, undo that and pedals should drop. On the 63, I put a spacer in where the clutch pedal was, and kept the original brake pedal.

Hopefully someone chimes in that knows for sure.
Posted By: redraptor

Re: project shorty - 06/29/13 01:49 PM

Quote:

but I got a question for ya, ok to install a auto brake pedal ( pedal is wider) do you have to remove the steering column ect?? I have not looked into it much but just thought I would ask lol.. aint the pedal in the same location as a auto but the pedal is wider right? or do I got to change the whole set up?

It's a large pin held in with a small bolt. Slide it out and the pedals will fall out. Then slip your auto pedal in. Looks good so far.

Re: project shorty - 07/16/13 06:25 AM

hey guy's well been busy, got the tranny rebuilt, motor an the goodies installed.. painted part of the floor still waiting to fix a few whole's, I think I got to build a cross member for the 727 as the truck had a 4spd. haven't really crawled under in a while lol been to busy with the motor an tranny got a bunch of part's in last week b&m cable, bracket's ect ect.. well here are a few pic's of the motor. today I installed the alt bracket off my old 90 318 so I could use the newer style alt, bolted up nice!!! pulley's all painted, tranny is painted which we are going to (man handle) tomorrow to get it bolted together. we are getting there folks!!!

Re: project shorty - 07/16/13 07:05 AM

paint those balancer/pully bolts..

Re: project shorty - 07/16/13 08:47 AM

i know lol, kind of mocked thing's up to make sure every thing was going to line up an it dose
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: project shorty - 07/16/13 01:05 PM

sweet! man, that is one heck of a alt bracket!! I have the same set up off the 88 B150 318 that was non-a/c with a idler pullys where the a/c comp bolts in.

how long do you want to wager the yellow paint stays on the headers?

they do look cool engine color

now days mine are rust color, I used to paint them flat white. but in the ened it always burns off.

Re: project shorty - 07/17/13 05:32 AM

Quote:

sweet! man, that is one heck of a alt bracket!! I have the same set up off the 88 B150 318 that was non-a/c with a idler pullys where the a/c comp bolts in.

how long do you want to wager the yellow paint stays on the headers?

they do look cool engine color

now days mine are rust color, I used to paint them flat white. but in the ened it always burns off.

thanks scratch ya I parted out myold 90 w150 an kept a few part's glad I ept the alt bracket haha, ya IIRC the smg pump bolted to this 1 but hey who need's emission's and you are right about the header paint it will flake off but hey if will look good for a bit right hahah.. hy I do go question for a guy's how many of ya se a oil pump gasket?? I threw mine away (didn't mean to) I can pick another up to biggie but I have read an heard some don't like to use the gasket's?? the pump is a tock sealed power pump if that make's a difference..

Re: project shorty - 07/17/13 01:06 PM

I run a gasket when I have one in hand, if not I dont run one.

either way should be no problem.
Posted By: BulletBob

Re: project shorty - 07/18/13 01:02 AM

If you get a chance find a set of these off a 90-92 van with a LA & of course a Denso

Attached picture 7780485-SAM_3655.JPG

Re: project shorty - 07/20/13 10:01 AM

Quote:

If you get a chance find a set of these off a 90-92 van with a LA & of course a Denso

I will have to keep my eye's open for them bracket's, not a real fan of this great big 1, an I could have took the grinder to it but hey it work's.. I ended up making my own oil pump gasket, part's store said it would take 2 day's told them give me some gasket paper

Re: project shorty - 07/20/13 10:27 AM

got the motor in the truck today set the motor in, an she sat to far forward, so we pulled it back out moved the mount's on the k member to the back hole's an she is good. still got to build a cross member for the tranny, a buddy say's he might have 1, which im hoping, 1 less thing to build should be able o fire her up sunday. still need to get a driveline made, install shifter ect just little thing's lol but I will still get to hear her pur!! .......

Re: project shorty - 07/20/13 12:41 PM

remeber, when you go BB one day you will use those other holes to mount it in the frame.

progress is good.

Re: project shorty - 07/21/13 05:37 AM

ok let me see if I got this right the slant 6 sat in the front hole's on the k-frame which that's how the mount's where when we swapped them to the rear whole's like they are now... was I supposed to leave the k-frame mount's alone???

Re: project shorty - 07/21/13 06:16 AM

Its got 2cylinders more in a row so its longer

Re: project shorty - 07/23/13 09:02 AM

Quote:

Its got 2cylinders more in a row so its longer

a know lol I was not sure if I was supposed to mount the 318 in the first set of hole's or 2nd on the k-frame??? it's mounted to the 2 right now so look's like that's where she is staying.. got the cross member for the tranny in, pulled the cross member out of my parts 74 power wagon w200, she bolted up but need to fab up the 2 bracket's that mount to the bottom of the frame, the 1's I got are about 2-3" to long got the core support sanded, tomorrow will be sanding down the rest of the inside of the front clip an painting it.. also what's your guy's thought's on the ol $50 rustoleum roll on paint job?? I seen a few pic's of car's done with it an they don't look bad, I wont be able to afford a real paint job this year but wouldn't mind getting rid of this yellow..

Re: project shorty - 07/31/13 06:38 AM

hey guy's little update, found a set of tranny line's at a junk yard, was going to build my own bt for $55.00 each I passed an found a set at the J/Y for $10.00 I painted the inside of the cab tonight, I went to install the new oil dip stick tube (mr gasket) broke that trying to get it in so off to the J/Y tomorrow to get a stocker.. got the header's on, that was kind of a pain but it's done .. I do got a question on the drive line, I bolted the drive line up tonight an every thing fit's but on the slip yoke there maybe 1/2" to a 1" of travel that enough or do I need to get the drive line cut??

Re: project shorty - 07/31/13 01:45 PM

slip yoke built into the drive shaft or slip yoke like a auto/4-speed?

is that a 1/2 to 1 from botooming out or comeing apart?

front rear shaft?

Re: project shorty - 07/31/13 11:28 PM

Hey Lifted do you still have the inspection cover for the tranny? My brother inlaw just picked up a Rancharger with a 4spd and its missing the inspection cover. Pm me with details on price if you have it. Thanks
Keep up the good work. youll be burning rubber in no time
Posted By: hp383

Re: project shorty - 08/01/13 04:22 AM

Inspection covers are overrated. I haven't used one for years on various different vehicles.

Re: project shorty - 08/01/13 09:00 AM

Quote:

slip yoke built into the drive shaft or slip yoke like a auto/4-speed?

is that a 1/2 to 1 from botooming out or comeing apart?

front rear shaft?

slip yoke like a auto/4spd you slide the slip yoke on the spline's.. I think it's to long, there is maybe 1/2" of travel from the slip yoke to the drive line, now what I was thinking is maybe cutting 1/2" off the spline's on the drive line, I don't want to cut 1/2 of the drive line it's self an weld it back up ect, I talked to a drive line shop an said they have done this before.. what do you guy's think?? an 76 I used the inspection plate but I think I got another let me dig around..

Re: project shorty - 08/01/13 03:52 PM

Ok. Thanks

Re: project shorty - 08/01/13 09:26 PM

When the driveshaft is bolted in you want 3/4" to 1" of slip...

Re: project shorty - 08/11/13 08:06 AM

well guy's an gal's I fired her up a few day's ago an boy dose she sound good!! today I installed the quick silver shifter an cable, picked up some heat tape from ace hardware rated at 600 deg wrapped the cable an also built a heat shield for some extra insurance.. had to replace the freeze plug on the driver's side head I had to put a heli coil in the last headerbolt an ran the drill in the side of it, didn't notice tell I filled it up with water but got that replaced wasn't to bad. think I need to double gasket the header's, I feel a little air comin out of them but easy fix.. only thing's left are to drop a seat into it, inner fender, grill, drive line, an a few odd's an end's like lowering it.. but man am I happier than a bull in a china shop!!!
Posted By: jstollfu

Re: project shorty - 08/12/13 02:02 PM

Save the hassle of the double gaskets. Pick up a set of the Remflex gaskets. Look them up.. The best exhaust gasket I've ever used.
Posted By: Cheeto

Re: project shorty - 08/16/13 06:42 AM

Sounds like you're going to have it together in time for the Igniter's event?

Re: project shorty - 08/20/13 01:18 AM

well guys got here together never made the car show or cruise but still went down town an tore it up inthe truck:) did race a newer 5.0 mustang got me off the line but had it in less than half a car length.. yesterday we blew the rear end up but im taken the rear out of my 77 power wagon an putting in it. i think the 2wd has 2.76s she gets up an go's like a bat outa hell lol but i think the 3.54s should be just fine... the tranny seem's to be doing good. she shift's super hard an love it hahah.. i do got 2 lifters that i think that are flat but might take a bit to pump back up if not i will be saving up an installing the whiplash cam.. i have been thinking hard on turboin this little monster. i read the thread that the member is boosting a stock 318 an getting 291hp an a whopping 636 foot pounds... right now i call the truck he franken dodge lol

Re: project shorty - 04/20/14 06:26 AM

hey guy's been a while sense i updated well in september i blew the rear end up, was cruising at 50 mph an the center pin snapped an locked the rear end up in retune busted the rear drive line ear right off could have broken when i was doin 100+ but lucked out.. so now she is getting the rear end out of my 77 power wagon, 354 gear's should be nice. also in the next week she will be getting a new comp XE256h cam along with the 901 spring's & possibly a set of #714 head's..
Posted By: 98RAM1500

Re: project shorty - 04/20/14 01:58 PM

that's what im runnin for my .030 318, with 714 heads ported & polished with 901 springs with matching retainers & keepers & edelbrock performer intake(2176), will be putting it together today. sorry to hear about the rearend in your truck gd luck with your project

Re: project shorty - 04/27/14 04:17 AM

thanks.. ya just did a gasket match an a few other little thing's. she should run good... i hope lol

Re: project shorty - 05/17/14 02:06 AM

little update old head's are off, gettin ready to install the #714s along with the cam.. later this summer she is goin back to a 4spd but this time a A833 should be fun

Re: project shorty - 05/17/14 02:31 AM

when was a A833 not a 4 speed ??
© 2024 Moparts Forums