Moparts

Does your 4wd truck sit even at all 4 corners?

Posted By: Kern Dog

Does your 4wd truck sit even at all 4 corners? - 03/11/13 05:03 AM

Mine doesn't. I have parked it on dirt and gravel for the most part and thought it looked out of whack, but yesterday I had it on level concrete. The drivers front wheelwell sits 38" from the pavement and the right front is 39 1/4". That seems like a lot. I usually deal with stock height or lowered vehicles, so I try hard to achieve an even reveal from the tires to the wheelwell edge.
The arch of each front spring appears the same. There is a difference of 5/8" at the rear, again with the drivers side being lower. I am tempted to have the left front leaf spring REarched. Am I on the right track or should I try something else?
Thanks, Greg
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: Does your 4wd truck sit even at all 4 corners? - 03/11/13 12:32 PM

Normal. Put a spacer between the left front spring and the axle. There was an old tsb with the part numbers years ago.
Posted By: 76dodgeboy

Re: Does your 4wd truck sit even at all 4 corners? - 03/11/13 12:40 PM

Its called the Dodge lean. Do to everything being on the driver side. Steering box, battery, driver plus fuel tank
Posted By: bigblock340power

Re: Does your 4wd truck sit even at all 4 corners? - 03/12/13 03:11 PM

I can't think of the last time I saw a truck (of any kind, let alone Dodge) sitting level. I guess it's just the nature of the beast!

Re: Does your 4wd truck sit even at all 4 corners? - 03/12/13 06:47 PM

Maybe so. Still, with my borderline obsessive nature, I'll have to even it up some.
Looking at it closer, there is a bit more arch to the RH front spring. I've read about slipping in an add-a-leaf, but it seems cheezy to do that on just one side. I think that a re-arch may be the way to go. The rate will remain the same that way.

Re: Does your 4wd truck sit even at all 4 corners? - 03/12/13 08:12 PM

It wot hurt to add a leaf on the left. It has to hold more weight. There's more than 300# on the left side with a slimmer driver a full tank of gas.
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Does your 4wd truck sit even at all 4 corners? - 03/12/13 11:48 PM

what a conundrum...

? is..do you lower the high side or lift the low side?

the frame could be tweeked,worn body mounts,spring bushings,sagging leafs, all adding into the mix of "the dodge lean"

on 2x trucks with the dodge lean,using JY parts I swap in a front coil/rear leaf springs from the pass side of a donor truck and have corrected it with fair/good results.

I have also found trucks that have had the xmember to lower frame rail braces removed,tend to flex and bow the channel of the frame tweeking it enuff that the frame sits twisted on the springs.(4x4 would be xmember to upper frame rail brace)

IMHO,I would just add some body shims to the core support bushing/cab bushing/bed bushing to level it with tape measurment from top of wheel lip like you did to find it leaning.

rearching/replacing springs could lead you to chasing the lean by not correcting everything in the mix of the lean.

I done a couple rusted 4x4 this way with washers as needed to get it level.

Posted By: ahy

Re: Does your 4wd truck sit even at all 4 corners? - 03/13/13 12:48 AM

I have '47 PW that was very lopsided with a set of "good used" springs. A local spring shop pulled the rear springs apart and rebuilt them alternating left and right leaves to even it up. I also had one leaf added. Cost, not counting my time for R&R was reasonable. Its about 70% better. I'll do the fronts next.
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: Does your 4wd truck sit even at all 4 corners? - 03/13/13 01:06 AM

Why do you guys keep trying to reinvent the wheel. The fix is simple. They did this when the trucks were new to correct the problem. If it was good enough for a new truck 30 or 40 years ago is sure is good enough for these old beaters. Shim the left front at the axle. Also as Mike said shim the core support or any other body areas to help with the issue. Here is the TSB. http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1987/02-05-87A.htm

Re: Does your 4wd truck sit even at all 4 corners? - 03/13/13 02:12 AM

Quote:

Normal. Put a spacer between the left front spring and the axle. There was an old tsb with the part numbers years ago.

This may just work!
I wonder if they still have these parts at the dealer...? I also like Scratchys idea. Thanks guys!
Posted By: bboogieart

Re: Does your 4wd truck sit even at all 4 corners? - 03/13/13 02:14 AM

How about putting some weight in the bed on the high side?
Too simple?

Re: Does your 4wd truck sit even at all 4 corners? - 03/13/13 02:16 AM

I wouldn't bother swimming the body/core support. If your taking it that far replace all the rubber
You could simply make a space for the axles with some 3/4-1" flat stock if its no longer available

Re: Does your 4wd truck sit even at all 4 corners? - 03/13/13 07:45 AM

I was thinking earlier.... I have a pair of 1 inch lowering blocks that I pulled out of the Charger. I'll look and see if the U-bolts are long enough to accommodate the block.

Re: Does your 4wd truck sit even at all 4 corners? - 03/13/13 04:06 PM

NEVER reuse u-bolts.
Posted By: 4dr4x4

Re: Does your 4wd truck sit even at all 4 corners? - 03/13/13 05:49 PM

My truck sat the same way. We took it to a local spring shop and it didn't cost much to fix it. They work on big truck springs all day, they take one look at it and they know how to fix it the right way. In most cases they only have to lift or replace one spring. Now it sits level.

Attached picture 7624489-IMG_6363a.jpg

Re: Does your 4wd truck sit even at all 4 corners? - 03/13/13 06:13 PM

Hey... Thats a 78 grille in an 81 and later body. Nice job.

Re: Does your 4wd truck sit even at all 4 corners? - 03/13/13 06:18 PM

Thanks, it's an 87.
Posted By: jerseybud

Re: Does your 4wd truck sit even at all 4 corners? - 03/13/13 10:43 PM

NitrousN posted the tsb with the factory fix (which is NS1) and this thread here:

http://ramchargercentral.com/mopar-trucks/1999-w250-project/

has pics of the spacer from front and back. 8 th post down. IMO its either this or diesel front leaf springs so it doesn't sag as fast or as much
Posted By: Golden-Arm

Re: Does your 4wd truck sit even at all 4 corners? - 03/14/13 02:57 AM

might sound silly, but can you swap the springs, from left to right? as mentioned, the battery, starter, steering gearbox steering column, fuel tank, master cylinder, etc. are all on the drivers side. all contribute to the lean. you could always go out quick and easy, and just run a set of smaller tires on the pass side.
Posted By: hp383

Re: Does your 4wd truck sit even at all 4 corners? - 03/14/13 05:45 AM

Quote:

you could always go out quick and easy, and just a set of smaller tires on the pass side.

Or bolt some weight in the passenger side rear of the box...

Re: Does your 4wd truck sit even at all 4 corners? - 03/14/13 09:26 AM

Quote:

NEVER reuse u-bolts.

I am surprised to read this. I see used u bolts on racks at wrecking yards. You'd think that they wouldn't sell them if there was a risk of liability from failure.
I'll readily admit that I am relatively inexperienced with 4 wheel drive stuff. I had a 2006 Ram 1500 4wd and now the Trail Duster and then this beater. I have far more experience with cars. Still, in 31 years of being a gearhead, I have used new U bolts only twice. No failures or anything close to it. I have never had a 10 second car or a 4wd on 37" tires, so maybe I just haven't tried hard enough to break anything.
The nuts that come on OEM U-bolts have a pinch/interference fit pressed into them, so I'd think that if the u-bolts aren't cut or bent and if the nuts hold tension, where am I going wrong?

Attached picture 7625454-IMG_0088.JPG
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Does your 4wd truck sit even at all 4 corners? - 03/14/13 01:40 PM

the u-bolts on my 88-440 truck came from my 68Dart,went on my 85 truck,then moved to my 88 truck.

I have always reused the u-bolts if they are long enuff to fit the bill. and when too long I have cut them down.

only time I use new ones are when i need longer ones for a lift or something. then just have the spring shop make up new ones.

I have had them rust up and the nut seize up and twist till they broke..I did/would not use those again.

Re: Does your 4wd truck sit even at all 4 corners? - 03/14/13 04:22 PM

Guys over on RCC say Don't reuse do to the fatigue of being tightened and "stretched" so to speak. I plan to use new as its a cheap insurance to not looking my axles

Re: Does your 4wd truck sit even at all 4 corners? - 03/16/13 08:51 AM

The factory u-bolts had interference threads on the nuts (the nuts have a small hole stamped in them). You put them on and you were not suppose to use them again, they were made to stretch the threads. This was done so they would never back off.

When you get new ones at a spring shop they just give you lock washers and regular deep nuts. I would and have used them again.
Posted By: Triggerfish

Re: Does your 4wd truck sit even at all 4 corners? - 03/16/13 02:50 PM

Quote:

Why do you guys keep trying to reinvent the wheel. The fix is simple. They did this when the trucks were new to correct the problem. If it was good enough for a new truck 30 or 40 years ago is sure is good enough for these old beaters. Shim the left front at the axle. Also as Mike said shim the core support or any other body areas to help with the issue. Here is the TSB. http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1987/02-05-87A.htm

Thanks for the info on the tsb, and this post! I thought something was wrong with the conversion on my 71 W100 to an 80's 3/4 ton chassis, because it had the "Mopar lean". Its a relief to know its "normal" & not a permanant mistake. I'll be ordering the parts next week. Much appreciated.

Attached picture 7627865-OrangePeallean.jpg

Re: Does your 4wd truck sit even at all 4 corners? - 03/29/13 06:30 AM

Before spending any money, I thought I'd try a few different zero dollar tweaks.
The first idea was to swap the spring packs from side to side. I figured that the job should take a few hours total. The previous owner had installed longer shackles at the rear eye many years ago and mounted the springs in the center bolt hole. On a whim, I decided to move the LH (Low side) leaf to the lowest hole. The holes are spaced 1 1/2" apart. I figured if it made no difference, I'd go ahead with the side to side swap. The truck now sits only 1/4" lower on the left. The fix lifted the left corner almost an inch. Thats close enough for me and it didn't cost anything.
Posted By: 67PLY

Re: Does your 4wd truck sit even at all 4 corners? - 04/04/13 01:02 AM

Fix my '84 W100 by replacing left front spring and putting a single air shock on left rear.
© 2024 Moparts Forums