Moparts

Heavy Duty aftermarket tie rod ends for W250??????

Posted By: DAYCLONA

Heavy Duty aftermarket tie rod ends for W250?????? - 03/10/13 04:56 AM

I sure you guys running large Off road tires have experienced the limited life of "factory" replacement parts,...I've searched everywhere (I think?) for either heavy/severe duty tie rods, and or a complete tierod/bar assy that will last more than a year!...my daughters truck eats these things on a yearly basis, the truck is a 87 Dodge W250 front axle is a Dana 44, 6" lift springs 37X12.5X17 TSL Thornbirds, seems the aftermarket really has abandoned the 70-80's Dodge truck line in favor for the new Rams...anybody have a source or cure for the rod ends on a 4X4?

Thanks
mike

Attached picture 7620069-258633_10150250507778254_627868253_7422495_1470232_o.jpg
Posted By: MMiller

Re: Heavy Duty aftermarket tie rod ends for W250?????? - 03/10/13 05:07 AM

I only have two answers. One, put a Dana 60F under it.

Put a less aggressive, radial tire on it, and it would probably let the rod ends live longer.

I myself could not drive a Dana 44 truck with 37" tires across town without breaking an axle shaft, tie rod ends were the least of my worries back in the day before I had a 60F.

Michael
Posted By: 76dodgeboy

Re: Heavy Duty aftermarket tie rod ends for W250?????? - 03/10/13 07:45 AM

I agree. With that size tire a D60 is almost a must. 35s are about the limit but Id only run 33s myself on a D44.

Re: Heavy Duty aftermarket tie rod ends for W250?????? - 03/10/13 10:00 PM

The axle is not an issue, the tires will remain, I have no issues with any of the front end components other than the tie rods, this vehicle has been running these tires daily for about 3 years now, it just seems that the tierods are rather undersized, I'm looking for an aftermarket rod end or bar assy that can replace the OEM components that are severe duty rated

Thanks
Mike
Posted By: MMiller

Re: Heavy Duty aftermarket tie rod ends for W250?????? - 03/11/13 01:30 AM

The main reason for you that I recommended the 60 is the fact that the steering tie rod ends are huge compared to the 44 offerings, sorry I got off the track of reasons for the 60.
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: Heavy Duty aftermarket tie rod ends for W250?????? - 03/11/13 03:06 AM

Quote:

The axle is not an issue, the tires will remain, I have no issues with any of the front end components other than the tie rods, this vehicle has been running these tires daily for about 3 years now, it just seems that the tierods are rather undersized, I'm looking for an aftermarket rod end or bar assy that can replace the OEM components that are severe duty rated

Thanks
Mike

Mike I would compare a dana 60 to a 44 ends taper. You could taper ream to the larger size if needed. You also could compare the gm 1987 and older ends. The cross tube is easy enough to fab up.

Re: Heavy Duty aftermarket tie rod ends for W250?????? - 03/11/13 04:35 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks
Mike

Mike I would compare a dana 60 to a 44 ends taper. You could taper ream to the larger size if needed. You also could compare the gm 1987 and older ends. The cross tube is easy enough to fab up.

I thought of going this way Pete, and already compared the rod ends, but I thought I'd ask for some ideas, or input on an aftermarket replacement before modding the taper in the arms

Thanks
Mike
Posted By: 76dodgeboy

Re: Heavy Duty aftermarket tie rod ends for W250?????? - 03/11/13 12:58 PM

Tire size is probably why they wear so fast. Lucky nothing else has wore out yet. Always hime joints
© 2024 Moparts Forums