Moparts

2003 Dodge Dually

Posted By: JR-Bull

2003 Dodge Dually - 01/24/13 04:27 PM

I am thinking of buying a 2003 Dodge Dually with a 5.7 Hemi engine and automatic transmission ! I guess I need some in-put on the bad and good , every-thing I have read is good ( I do-not need a Diesel only towing 5 or 6 times to the strip ) and I will be using it for around town ! Thanks for all your help !!!! Thanks Dave.........
Posted By: Savoy1964

Re: 2003 Dodge Dually - 01/24/13 04:34 PM

Look for rust in wheel wells and under tailgate.
Posted By: toomanymopars

Re: 2003 Dodge Dually - 01/24/13 09:20 PM

Expect it to get only around 12 mpg and that is downhill with a tailwind. Also, every one that I have been around that is worked hard, uses oil.

Hemis are for 1/2 tons, Challengers, and Chargers...not much of an engine for a dually if you are going to pull with it.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: 2003 Dodge Dually - 01/24/13 11:48 PM

Quote:

Expect it to get only around 12 mpg and that is downhill with a tailwind. Also, every one that I have been around that is worked hard, uses oil.

Hemis are for 1/2 tons, Challengers, and Chargers... not much of an engine for a dually if you are going to pull with it .

A dually with only 345" motor in it?

No thanks, my 99 454 dually will out pull our 05 hemi durango 2-1 at least. The hemi engine don't have near the torque that my 454 has.

I know you said mostly around town, but 5-6 times a year to the track is pretty many trips in my mind.

I would think a truck like that would be really cheap in cost to buy?

Does Dodge make V-10 now for a truck like this if one didn't want to pay for crappy diesel?
Posted By: Evil Spirit

Re: 2003 Dodge Dually - 01/25/13 10:57 AM

I guess it depends on being able to safely tow your car to the track without making the daily driver part un-necessarily expensive. I never saw the logic in buying twice the truck you need 90% of the time just to take a car to the track a few times a year. A good example is I used to own a 2001 Dakota - extended cab, 5 speed V-6, 3.55 gears. Great daily driver, and towed my 2800LB Spirit on an open trailer the 30 mi to Milan 10-15 times a year and the 90 mi to Norwalk 2-3 times a year just fine. Both hauls were flat tows, and I wasn't in a hurry to get there. In my situation, it would have been ignorant to buy a bigger more expensive truck - the Dakota was great 90% of the time, and adequate the rest(towing). Now mind you, I put heavier load range tires on the truck, my trailer had brakes on both axles, and I used an equalizing hitch.

So I think you need to decide how much truck you really need - do you tow a light car/trailer on flat land, which the Hemi/dually is MORE than enough, or an enclosed trailer, heavy car, golf cart, etc.,in hilly country, which is more in the V10-Cummins territory.
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: 2003 Dodge Dually - 01/26/13 02:07 AM

If you aren't going to drive it alot and it's cheap (which it should be) why not? You'll have the safety of the dually (nothing better for towing) and no diesel hassles for everyday driving.
Buying a Peterbilt to tow a car to the strip once in awhile is just as stupid as buying a Mazda for the same purpose.

Sheldon
Posted By: jimbob101

Re: 2003 Dodge Dually - 01/27/13 01:05 AM

The cost to operate and maintain that gas engine will be a lot cheaper than running that diesel pickup.

I don't think 5-6times to the track is a lot and you aren't driving 300 miles one way to the track I'm guessing. You arent gonna be happy with the mileage but what's the hurry? I don't the newer cummins are gonna be much better in mileage.

I see a lot of diesels driving around with big tires and lifts hauling air as a daily driver not towing anything, that is an expensive daily commuter in my opinion!

I use a '92 cummins as a tow rig and very occasionally as a driver but it's the most expensive to run with the cost of fuel, parts, maintenence etc. I always recommend you better be saving up some $$ once you buy a cummins trk, cuz it's gonna cost ya!
© 2024 Moparts Forums