Moparts

My little truck small block...*more updates*

Posted By: RapidusMaximus

My little truck small block...*more updates* - 08/06/12 01:06 AM

Couldn't help myself...spent almost all day in the shop in the 100+ heat. Got the little 360 engine almost together, RHS Indy X heads by Brian @ IMM showed up Friday and the UPS man has been to visit me regularly the last couple of weeks and here are the results...thanks Brian

Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: My little truck small block... - 08/06/12 01:19 AM

looks sweet!

thanks for shareing pics of your project. I always like to see what other are working on.
Posted By: basketcase

Re: My little truck small block... - 08/06/12 01:24 AM

..but I wanna see more of that GTX.....
Posted By: 72swgnr

Re: My little truck small block... - 08/06/12 01:30 AM

What Pistons/compression did you go with?

Re: My little truck small block... - 08/06/12 01:31 AM

Quote:

looks sweet!

thanks for shareing pics of your project. I always like to see what other are working on.

Thanks, truck should be out of the paint shop this week, A body rear is built and ready to go...I'm gettin antsy...

Re: My little truck small block... - 08/06/12 01:33 AM

Quote:

..but I wanna see more of that GTX.....

Finished almost all of the metal work on the GTX then started playing with this truck...so it's on the back burner for a couple of months.

Re: My little truck small block... - 08/06/12 01:36 AM

Quote:

What Pistons/compression did you go with?

Went with .030 over flat top KB's, block is zero deck and with the RHS heads it should yield a C/R of somewhere around 10 to 1.

Re: My little truck small block... - 08/06/12 05:04 PM

what gears in the 8 3/4?

i cant wait to see it with the A-body 8 3/4

Re: My little truck small block... - 08/06/12 06:42 PM

The rear is a 489 case with a 3.55 sure grip, cleaned up, painted, new brakes, new drums, new hydraulics, chompin at the bit to get it in and start measuring for wheels and tires.

Re: My little truck small block... - 08/06/12 09:50 PM

you have the large brake axles,correct?

12" wide with 4 1/2" backset 29x15x15 M/T SR radials fit in there just right.

dont forget the lip stick on the housing.

Attached picture 7324702-smilyface.jpg

Re: My little truck small block... - 08/06/12 09:52 PM

this is it bolted up. that should keep you chompin at the bit till you get it.

Attached picture 7324707-rearshotfattys.jpg

Re: My little truck small block... - 08/07/12 03:49 AM

Exactly! , looks great, now if I can just get the dang truck out of the paint shop. , he sent me a pic of the cab Saturday... hopefully have it back in my shop by this weekend, pics will be posted.

Re: My little truck small block...*update* - 09/10/12 12:49 PM

*Update* Got the engine in and almost ready to fire...drivers side valve cover is not on because it wont clear the power brake booster... , non-fabbed valve covers on the way...sheesh anybody want to buy some brand spanking new fabbed valve covers?????

And...wait for it...tires and wheels are in...just have to get them mounted and balanced...wheels are 15 X 12's from Stockton wheel tires are Micky Thompson S/R's...I'mm slowly getting there...travel during the week...work on the truck on weekend.

Re: My little truck small block...*update* - 09/10/12 01:04 PM

Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: My little truck small block...*update* - 09/10/12 02:25 PM

Do you have the small diameter booster. Id get 1 and use the fabed valve covers..
Posted By: hp383

Re: My little truck small block...*update* - 09/10/12 05:50 PM

Quote:

Do you have the small diameter booster. Id get 1 and use the fabed valve covers..

switch to the 3/4 ton booster, and keep the fabbed covers!

Re: My little truck small block...*update* - 09/10/12 07:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

x2

86 3/4 ton D-150 has the small booster with the alum 2 bolt MC or just go manual brakes.

Re: My little truck small block...*update* - 09/10/12 07:50 PM

Well...I've already ordered the "tall" chrome valve covers from Mancini with the standard mount flanges...wasn't aware I could change the booster so I panicked and ordered the new stuff... oh well...if the new ones don't clear I'll be looking at changing the booster. The fabbed valve covers have the bolts integrated and that's the problem...you can't get a bolt in the back hole, the standard mount flange on the chrome covers should cure the problem. Hopefully...if not I'll be changing the booster...
Posted By: 76dodgeboy

Re: My little truck small block...*update* - 09/10/12 08:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Not 3/4 ton specific. Sami's 76 has the small booster

Re: My little truck small block...*more updates* - 09/14/12 12:30 AM

Got the tires and wheels mounted, balanced and installed...

Rear view..

Re: My little truck small block...*more updates* - 09/14/12 12:47 AM

Also, got the Moroso tall chrome valve covers in and they fit perfect, clear the power brake booster with no issues. Fingers crossed, should hear it run this weekend...just a few loose ends to wrap up, prime the oil system, install pump drive and distributor, finish installing the cooling system, install rockers, adjust valves, install valve covers and a couple of other misc. things...

Re: My little truck small block...*more updates* - 09/24/12 01:35 AM

is the backset just right on the tire bulge and leaf spring???

looks FAT!

Posted By: 300maximilien

Re: My little truck small block...*more updates* - 09/24/12 04:04 AM

I REALLY like those rims!
Posted By: 77ProStreet

Re: My little truck small block...*more updates* - 09/24/12 06:11 AM

WOW! That looks GREAT!

What size tire and backspacing are you using? Your truck is really gonna look good.

Re: My little truck small block...*more updates* - 09/25/12 11:27 PM

The wheels are stock steel wheels widened to 12" with a 4.5" backspace and now wearing stock truck hubcaps. The tires are Mickey Thompson S/R's 29X15-15s...More pics coming soon, got the bed on last night and made some slow passes around the neighborhood.

Re: My little truck small block...*more updates* - 09/25/12 11:43 PM

Bed is on, some pics prior to lowering the front, and just prior to a trip arond the neighborhood...LOL, got thunbs up from the neighbors, truck sounds good. No hood, no windshield, no back window...REALLY interesting ride

Re: My little truck small block...*more updates* - 09/26/12 12:16 AM

Posted By: BIGMIKE@RIDETECH

Re: My little truck small block...*more updates* - 09/26/12 08:41 PM

Those wheels and tires really set the look. Making me think of selling my 20" steels.

Re: My little truck small block...*more updates* - 09/26/12 09:06 PM

I love that look.

I like my welds but those lopo caps do it for me as well.

I want a black truck with yellow stripe with fattys for the wify.

Attached picture 7395554-frontbumperandtag.jpg
Posted By: Dan Halen

Re: My little truck small block...*more updates* - 09/26/12 10:25 PM

Quote:

Bed is on, some pics prior to lowering the front, and just prior to a trip arond the neighborhood...LOL, got thunbs up from the neighbors, truck sounds good. No hood, no windshield, no back window...REALLY interesting ride

That truck is the SHIZZ!

Can't wait to see the final stance, are you using van LCAs?

Re: My little truck small block...*more updates* - 09/27/12 02:17 AM

Thanks, really pleased with the way they came out.

Re: My little truck small block...*more updates* - 09/27/12 02:20 AM

"That truck is the SHIZZ!

Can't wait to see the final stance, are you using van LCAs?"

Thanks, streetvan dan, I am using the stock lower control arms and just finished cutting one full coil off of the stock springs, ride height looks to be now almost exactly level, got dark on me so I will have to get a pic tomorrow, shop is too full of "stuff" to back away far enough to get a decent picture.
Posted By: racerx

Re: My little truck small block...*more updates* - 09/27/12 11:47 AM

Shape looking truck i use to own a 73 D-100 with a s/b and always thought of doing something like this,kick my self every day for trading it on a newer ram .Make sure u get vid. when it's done...........

Re: My little truck small block...*more updates* - 09/28/12 01:38 AM

Just a couple of new pics, hood on, shocks back on, both front springs cut one full coil. Truck will get color sanded and buffed Saturday then I will start bolting external body components back on.

Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: My little truck small block...*more updates* - 09/28/12 01:41 AM

Nice looking truck

Rickster

Re: My little truck small block...*more updates* - 09/28/12 01:47 AM

Thanks, not sure I have the front low enough yet but it's going to stay like it is for now, got a lot of detail work to finish up so I'm trying to stay focused on everything at once the windshield installer is backed up, the bed inside of the bed needs finished, the tune-up is way off etc, etc, etc...
Posted By: Dodgetrucker200

Re: My little truck small block...*more updates* - 09/28/12 10:47 PM

Rapidus Maximus,

your Truck absolutely rocks, i love it!

Keep up the good work, i´m just starting out with mine that i got 3 weeks ago and your truck is very inspiring (

Never had a US car before. Never had a V8 before. So i got a lot to learn and i learned one thing or the other from your posts. Thank you very much!

Re: My little truck small block...*more updates* - 09/28/12 11:53 PM

Quote:

Rapidus Maximus,

your Truck absolutely rocks, i love it!

Keep up the good work, i´m just starting out with mine that i got 3 weeks ago and your truck is very inspiring (

Never had a US car before. Never had a V8 before. So i got a lot to learn and i learned one thing or the other from your posts. Thank you very much!

Thanks and welcome to the board It's been alot of fun (and work) and I have really appreciated all of the help I've gotten here on
Moparts, I've done alot of street cars and race cars but this is the first truck I've ever modified. It's been quite a learning experience.
Posted By: Robbins

Re: My little truck small block...*more updates* - 09/29/12 12:26 AM

That thing looks awesome.

Re: My little truck small block...*more updates* - 09/29/12 12:32 AM

Thanks, not sure I have the front low enough yet but it's going to stay like it is for now......................................................Me personally i would like to see it a little lower in the front but it your truck long as u r HAPPY...

Re: My little truck small block...*more updates* - 09/29/12 12:40 AM

Quote:

Thanks, not sure I have the front low enough yet but it's going to stay like it is for now......................................................Me personally i would like to see it a little lower in the front but it your truck long as u r HAPPY...

Yeah, the more I look at it, the more I think it still needs to come down a little...oh well, now that they're cut they will be easier to get out the second time
Posted By: 77ProStreet

Re: My little truck small block...*more updates* - 09/29/12 06:19 AM

Looks SWEET! Keep the pics coming.

Re: My little truck small block...*more updates* - 10/03/12 02:05 PM

Any new news on this build?I'm really thinking of doing a short body/boosted/sb/bb What year is your truck?is it the 78 in your sig?I,v already have a set of the cop wheels/pancake caps that i wanted to put on another project.I'll be keeping an eye on this thread............

Re: My little truck small block...*more updates* - 10/04/12 02:23 AM

yeah its a 78, finished lowering the front 2 inches (pics coming) and now I'm fighting the tune...

Re: My little truck small block...*more updates* - 10/04/12 02:28 AM

Appears I still have the valves adjusted too tight... or the cam timing is off...can't seem to get it to stop "detonating" at part throttle and trying to "butterfly" back through the carb...ugh...

Re: My little truck small block...*more updates* - 10/04/12 12:53 PM

how much off the coil spring now?

Re: My little truck small block...*more updates* - 10/04/12 01:34 PM

Quote:

how much off the coil spring now?

Took a full coil off with the first cut then when that wasn't low enough I cut it twice more about 2" per cut...so...in the end it came out to be about a coil and a half which dropped it down to barely touching the bump stops, trimmed those about an inch so it would have some travel before contact. Drove it around the neighbor hood but haven't had it on the highway yet...still no windshield...ugh...
Posted By: jagrunt551

Re: My little truck small block...*more updates* - 10/04/12 02:01 PM

Nice little truck!!! Now we need some new photos!!!

Re: My little truck small block...*more updates* - 10/05/12 01:04 AM

Truck is undergoing intense color sanding and buffing pics will follow shortly thereafter...

Re: My little truck small block...*more updates* - 10/14/12 01:54 PM

Don't what cha' to get to far down on the forum so i'll give u a any new updates?

Re: My little truck small block...*more updates* - 10/14/12 03:33 PM

Yeah, worked on it all day yesterday fine tuning my timing issue...turns out that for some reason the balancer had 2 timing marks and I had the timing so far advanced(accidentally) that I could see the "wrong" timing mark with the timing light. The "wrong" timing mark was telling me that I was at 10 degrees behind when I was actually about 20 degrees advanced anyway, got it figured out and also tuned the stumble out of it. Now for the frustrating part, after the painter sanded the entire passenger side with 1000 grit he decided he had little league baseball he needed to be doing, haven't seen him since , he hasn't even started on the drivers side and he has lots of orange peel to get out. The front and back glass are still not in, the installer says the front window is on back order...sheesh...

Re: My little truck small block...*more updates* - 10/14/12 04:26 PM

However...I did leave a small set of marks in the driveway and drove it down the highway with no windshield, no inspection, no tags...no front and back window was a bit "airish"... but it did run out pretty nice Pics coming...

Re: My little truck small block...*more updates* - 10/14/12 11:47 PM

So, today while the painter was color sanding I decided to do something that was talked about in an earlier thread...put a front bumper on the back... . Worked the bow out of it, took the bumper mounts off of the step bumper and did a little cutting, fitting and welding. It still needs a little shimming here and there and some bumper bolts. What do you think?

Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: My little truck small block...*more updates* - 10/15/12 12:57 AM

looks awesome....been waiting to see this done

Rickster
Posted By: Kevin I

Re: My little truck small block...*more updates* - 10/15/12 01:29 AM

I think it looks good. Not as good as a real rear bumper, but 1000 times better than a step bumper.

Re: My little truck small block...*more updates* - 10/15/12 03:23 AM

Yeah, the step bumper was a no go...you wouldn't believe how we got the bow out of this front bumper... LOL. the step bumper mounts were cut off about 3 inches and provided just enough material for mounting the bumper. the trick was that the frame rails were a few inches wider than the bolt holes on the bumper...the excess mount material was used to adapt between the two, little welding, little fabrication and wala...

Re: My little truck small block...*more updates* - 10/15/12 01:03 PM

lookin good. i like that rear bumper even if it is off the front.

Re: My little truck small block...*more updates* - 10/15/12 05:38 PM

Quote:

I think it looks good. Not as good as a real rear bumper, but 1000 times better than a step bumper.

^^^This^^^or what do u think of roll pans?

Re: My little truck small block...*more updates* - 10/16/12 01:54 AM

Hmmmmm, roll pans...after shimming this bumper and installing the proper bumper bolts I'll see if I still like it...if not, I'll be shopping for roll pans.

Re: My little truck small block...*more updates* - 10/23/12 11:05 PM

Any updates?

Re: My little truck small block...*more updates* - 10/25/12 01:19 PM

Yeah...frustration... dude that painted the truck has been MIA for nearly 2 weeks with half the truck color sanded and if that wasn't enough I can't seem to get ANY windshield company interested in coming out to my shop and putting a new windshield in...sheesh! On the positive side I got the tuning bugs figured out (operator error) and the rear bumper is shimmed and installed. I took a day off today and my goal is to get SOMEBODY to bring a new windshield out here and install it...

Re: My little truck small block...*more updates* - 10/25/12 01:37 PM

put on some goggles with a helmet. windsheilds are over rated.

you may need to take a road trip to the glass shop. think how kool it will be with goggles and a helmet. tell them winsheilds are over rated but you prefer to keep the truck stock looking.

MIA paint & body men sux and does nothing but slow the progress down. I was lucky to have a buddy that 'wanted it' as much as i did when we made the deal to build mine.

glad you got the tuning bugs worked out. bumper looks good.

Re: My little truck small block...*more updates* - 10/25/12 02:34 PM

LOL...yeah problem is this state requires registration and inspection stickers on the windshield...not sure they'd buy the whole goggle thing... BTW...what year windshield will fit this '78?

Re: My little truck small block...*more updates* - 10/25/12 02:46 PM

stick them to the left side of the helmet.

do not use the label off a beer bottle telling them you have not been drinking cause you are on the patch. that wont fly.

dont tell them to 'calm down Barnie,Andy will be here in a minute' either.

here in FL we can get a 4 day paper tag to move cars/truck on the road to shops/home..ect I have drove a few time. with no glass or seats.

I would think 72-80 for sure on the glass,not sure if it changed from 81-93. could be from 72-93

have you gave any thought to glass etching/art work on the back glass?

Re: My little truck small block...*more updates* - 10/25/12 02:52 PM

---update---Woo hoo... finally got ahold of the "right" company...installers will be here by 2pm and about the back glass, since the truck has no a/c it will soon (before next summer) have a sliding back glass installed for "flow through ventilation"
Posted By: BulletBob

Re: My little truck small block...*more updates* - 10/26/12 12:42 AM

Looking at your truck will do things for ya that Viagra can't !
Great job

Re: My little truck small block...*more updates* - 10/26/12 04:44 AM

Quote:

Looking at your truck will do things for ya that Viagra can't !
Great job

LOL, thanks , got the new windshield in this morning, back window installed also, got to drive it to the inspection station and it passed , it's about 5 miles from my house to town, it ran great, cruises nice, just took it easy so far and enjoyed the ride

Re: My little truck small block...*more updates* - 10/26/12 11:34 AM

That is good news that it made its first road trip there and back no problems.

did you noticed how people look at you while driving it?

does your face hurt from the smile you have while driving it? mine hurts when i drive mine.

Re: My little truck small block...*more updates* - 10/26/12 12:39 PM

Quote:

That is good news that it made its first road trip there and back no problems.

did you noticed how people look at you while driving it?

does your face hurt from the smile you have while driving it? mine hurts when i drive mine.

I have to admit...I stopped at O'Reillys to get new wiper blades and when the employees came out of the store to check it out I was pretty proud, then some dudes in a WRX Subaru gave me a thumbs up as I was sitting beside them at a redlight... , yes, this was me... now if I could just get my painter to finish up...
Posted By: 1moparman

Re: My little truck small block...*more updates* - 10/30/12 01:48 PM

Quote:

Got the tires and wheels mounted, balanced and installed...

Rear view..

Re: My little truck small block...*more updates* - 10/31/12 02:13 AM

Thanks...seems to run pretty good through the 318 2bbl exhaust manifolds...got sideways coming back from the grocery store (must have loaded the groceries too far to one side )...headers on the way

Re: My little truck small block...*more updates* - 11/07/12 02:00 AM

Burned a tank and a half of gas through the truck this weekend, hit a cruise night in the Albertson's parking lot, fielded some youngsters questions...is that a GMC?, you got NAZ on it? What happened to the wheel wells? Anyway, headers are now on order...by the way...it runs exceptionally well through the 318 manifolds funny thing was that probably the most intelligent comment I got at the cruise night was "why does it have exhaust manifolds still on it?" Bad news is that the painter has apparently taken his money and run (I know, shame on me). Drivers side is sanded with 2000 grit and that's the last time I saw him...never done any buffing and don't want to start now...anybody know someone in this area that will do mobile buffing?

Re: My little truck small block...*more updates* - 11/07/12 04:37 PM

Quote:

Burned a tank and a half of gas through the truck this weekend, hit a cruise night in the Albertson's parking lot, fielded some youngsters questions...is that a GMC?, you got NAZ on it? What happened to the wheel wells? Anyway, headers are now on order...by the way...it runs exceptionally well through the 318 manifolds funny thing was that probably the most intelligent comment I got at the cruise night was "why does it have exhaust manifolds still on it?" Bad news is that the painter has apparently taken his money and run (I know, shame on me). Drivers side is sanded with 2000 grit and that's the last time I saw him...never done any buffing and don't want to start now...anybody know someone in this area that will do mobile buffing?

That sucks

Re: My little truck small block...*more updates* - 11/23/12 04:19 AM

Quote:

Don't what cha' to get to far down on the forum so i'll give u a any new updates?

Re: My little truck small block...*more updates* - 11/24/12 05:30 PM

Just a few...got the headers on last weekend and put new 2 1/2 inch exhaust on it...I really think it makes it run better... The 318 manifolds and stock headpipes may have been creating a bit of a restriction just sayin...

Re: My little truck small block...*more updates* - 11/24/12 06:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

That sucks

oh yeah...and about this subject...still haven't seen the painter and the drivers side is still color sanded with no buffing, the hood, roof and tailgate still have not been color sanded...

Re: My little black truck *new pics* - 12/08/12 09:58 PM

Well...the painter finally finished color sanding and buffing and I'm headed to my first car show and possible pass down the 1/8 mile tomorrow...

Posted By: stumpy

Re: My little black truck *new pics* - 12/08/12 10:35 PM

Seriously fine looking truck.
Posted By: Golden-Arm

Re: My little black truck *new pics* - 12/09/12 01:07 AM

looks pretty sweet. need some serious tint on those windows, to match the rest of the look.

Re: My little black truck *new pics* - 12/09/12 01:55 AM

You are absolutely correct...I'll add that to my list of final touch items, inside of the bed is still not done, need to engineer some cold air ducting, find a straighter grill...it's never REALLY done is it? LOL
Posted By: Golden-Arm

Re: My little black truck *new pics* - 12/09/12 02:06 AM

that grill looks pretty sweet. i hope mine's done soon, i'm getting tired of working on it.
Posted By: 76dodgeboy

Re: My little black truck *new pics* - 12/09/12 06:59 AM

Amazing
Posted By: onebadstepside

Re: My little black truck *new pics* - 12/09/12 02:53 PM

Good Looking Truck!!!

Re: My little black truck *new pics* - 12/09/12 03:52 PM

Posted By: Manimal

Re: My little black truck *new pics* - 05/14/14 04:21 PM

I know this is an old thread, but your truck is SWEET!

Re: My little black truck *new pics* - 05/15/14 02:33 AM

Thanks, sadly...I guess...the truck now belongs to someone else, I had to obtain the funds to fund another project. Everyone is pssd at me for selling it and I miss the heck out of it...currently looking for another 72/76 to build...big block this time around
Posted By: Donehundred

Re: My little black truck *new pics* - 10/23/15 10:32 PM

I know this is an old thread but had a question for you. Never saw what you did to lower the rear?
© 2024 Moparts Forums