Moparts

Has anyone purchased a E BIKE

Posted By: bigdad

Has anyone purchased a E BIKE - 05/06/24 01:45 PM

I would like something for a pit bike, all gas-powered type scooters (brand name ones old or new have really jumped in ... offshore ones are mostly unreliable and, no support parts , seems carbs being largest problem

Older golf carts have about tripled in price

so, that leaves maybe a e bike, looking online there is countless choices not knowing if any of them are actually dependable ..

We have new mgt at our local track, my pit spot in at the finish line and it makes for a long walk multiple times a day

https://www.hiboy.com/products/hibo...32024&cto_pld=QKWABDyAAQBOvC8WuLZoRg
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: Has anyone purchased a E BIKE - 05/06/24 02:36 PM

What's your budget? Around here (Bismarck), $3k-$4k will get you about anything you want, used.

Re: Has anyone purchased a E BIKE - 05/06/24 02:40 PM

for a e bike ?
Posted By: oldjonny

Re: Has anyone purchased a E BIKE - 05/06/24 03:10 PM

Find an old CT-70 Honda. When you are done with it, it will still be running and you get your money back out of it. Bikes built in the 70's are still going strong and bringing good money. Try that with an E-Bike in a year.,
Posted By: 73DAD

Re: Has anyone purchased a E BIKE - 05/06/24 03:14 PM

I've had a Surron LBX for about 3 years now, it's about like a 100cc dirtbike. The battery pack is Panasonic and good quality. It sits all winter at my house and doesn't lose charge. I used to ride in and out of town on it to get groceries, but I think the local police have wised up so it's just a farm bike now. 1800 miles so far. Maintenance is... plugging it in and airing up the tires sometimes, that's all.

Re: Has anyone purchased a E BIKE - 05/06/24 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by oldjonny
Find an old CT-70 Honda. When you are done with it, it will still be running and you get your money back out of it. Bikes built in the 70's are still going strong and bringing good money. Try that with an E-Bike in a year.,

check the prices on them , no way

Re: Has anyone purchased a E BIKE - 05/06/24 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by 73DAD
I've had a Surron LBX for about 3 years now, it's about like a 100cc dirtbike. The battery pack is Panasonic and good quality. It sits all winter at my house and doesn't lose charge. I used to ride in and out of town on it to get groceries, but I think the local police have wised up so it's just a farm bike now. 1800 miles so far. Maintenance is... plugging it in and airing up the tires sometimes, that's all.

wow, $4000

https://surronmotor.com/product/surron-light-bee-x/
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: Has anyone purchased a E BIKE - 05/06/24 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by bigdad
for a e bike ?

No, used golf carts.
Posted By: calmopar

Re: Has anyone purchased a E BIKE - 05/06/24 04:11 PM

I bought a Himiway Cruiser in 2020 and paid about $1400. https://himiwaybike.com/products/himiway-electric-fat-bike

So far I've put 900+ miles on it. I had to change the brake pads once (cheap, easy). I hook a trailer to it and can drag stuff around. It's been reliable but maybe I got lucky.

It's big/heavy and hard to get on and off, probably because I am 5'9" only. Next one will be lighter and smaller but with hopefully the same battery and motor capacity and power.

Description: ebike
Attached picture ebike.jpg
Posted By: Dart 500

Re: Has anyone purchased a E BIKE - 05/06/24 04:12 PM

Cheap, good, popular and reliable - Lectric. $1000, 750 watt motor, 48 volt battery, fat 4" tires

I have the same specs in mine and it was $2300 and also now bankrupt (sondors fold XS)

If you want something more burly you can get a 52 volt bike with hub motors in both wheels, dual batteries that do 50+ MPH. Rad power bikes I think? Juiced, Ariel rider.. look in to those companies. Also super73 if you want it to look like an old dirt bike

Posted By: topside

Re: Has anyone purchased a E BIKE - 05/06/24 04:17 PM

The little Hondas are essentially investments, and they hold or increase their value as they age.

That said, if you don't want to deal with carbs, gas, and oil changes:
I bought a basic Skil battery-electric lawn mower for my new suburban place, and it's been great.
I'm getting about 3 X the battery life that I expected.
I can understand the appeal of an electric pit bike for maintenance/upkeep reasons.

Re: Has anyone purchased a E BIKE - 05/06/24 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by topside
The little Hondas are essentially investments, and they hold or increase their value as they age.

That said, if you don't want to deal with carbs, gas, and oil changes:
I bought a basic Skil battery-electric lawn mower for my new suburban place, and it's been great.
I'm getting about 3 X the battery life that I expected.
I can understand the appeal of an electric pit bike for maintenance/upkeep reasons.

I had a mint 1978 Honda Z50 as a kid and I still kick myself for selling it, BUT the cops got called when I rode it on the street. I ride my eBike all over the streets, bike paths, camp grounds and no one bats an eye. It also doesnt dump gas all over the back of my SUV when transporting lol.
Posted By: Neil

Re: Has anyone purchased a E BIKE - 05/06/24 04:30 PM

Batteries in those things can catch fire so beware of that. https://youtu.be/sWeZ5b-tPAE?si=mUDgwTJHm76joMBH

Honda or a Yamaha trail bike of some sort (50cc-110cc) are super reliable, and parts will always be available for them. Take care of it and the resale will be better than most other things out there.

Re: Has anyone purchased a E BIKE - 05/06/24 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by 6PakBee
for a e bike ?

No, used golf carts.

yah, crazy ..

Re: Has anyone purchased a E BIKE - 05/06/24 05:53 PM

If you want 4 wheels you can get a smart car for less than a golf cart
Posted By: SNK-EYZ

Re: Has anyone purchased a E BIKE - 05/06/24 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Dart 500

Not around here, they want crazy prices for a running smart car.

Old golf carts can be found cheap, the hard part is finding a gas powered one.
The old electric one are usually cheap, because they all need new batteries. laugh2

Re: Has anyone purchased a E BIKE - 05/06/24 07:11 PM

G2 Yamahas used to be $1000-$1500 , now they are $4300 -5000 , I'll pass
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Has anyone purchased a E BIKE - 05/06/24 09:44 PM

I’ll be using my electric golf cart ($600) batteries come from local junk yard ($30 each has 4) my RV friend is getting me 4 solar panels to mount on roof to keep them charged up. For the price of those bikes (which I like) one big 48 volts lithium batter can be had cheaper and it last 20 miles on a charge. Maybe something to think about (I dislike having to put gas in one)

Re: Has anyone purchased a E BIKE - 05/06/24 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by cudaman1969
I’ll be using my electric golf cart ($600) batteries come from local junk yard ($30 each has 4) my RV friend is getting me 4 solar panels to mount on roof to keep them charged up. For the price of those bikes (which I like) one big 48 volts lithium batter can be had cheaper and it last 20 miles on a charge. Maybe something to think about (I dislike having to put gas in one)

Lithium batteries are pretty cost effective these days, you can get a 300AH off amazon that will last 20 years and remember, lithiums can be run down to zero, where lead acids / AGM get damaged going down to just 50%. A single 100AH (very cheap) would likely out perform those used lead acids you're using, and not need to be replaced.

I have 460 Amp Hour in my RV, thing will outlast the water now and the solar keeps it topped off (by noon). Even no solar it's good for 5~ days using everything. 460ah is the equivalent to about 18 car batteries

Re: Has anyone purchased a E BIKE - 05/06/24 11:19 PM

Local bike shop has a similar one of these for $850

https://retrospec.com/products/valen-rev-2-20-fat-tire-electric-bike

Re: Has anyone purchased a E BIKE - 05/07/24 12:06 AM

review of it

You'll want it to do at least 25mph, it may come only set to do 20mph for legal reasons make sure it can be switched to 25mph mode

Re: Has anyone purchased a E BIKE - 05/07/24 12:18 AM

This one will do 31mph, best looking IMO and they have 20% off right on their website

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgjIgFNzNzA

Volcon Brat

Attached picture BratBlue.jpg

Re: Has anyone purchased a E BIKE - 05/07/24 02:10 AM

is neat looking .. pretty leery to spend $2500 and hope its not junk

https://volcon.com/products/2023-brat
Posted By: A12

Re: Has anyone purchased a E BIKE - 05/07/24 02:53 AM

Here you go, a little harder to steal and who the heck would want to? I would be afraid to leave a $2k - $3k bicycle unattended without a heavy cable lock to a utility pole and or something solid. Aren't these E-bikes high of the theft list because they are in high demand and cost a lot? Too much work to peddle away and hard to fit in a trunk, get an adult 3-wheel bike and you can't fall over Joe wink grin laugh2

Attached picture us_FZDKRLSLCTG2OI2Y7V0_goods_img_big-v1_adult-tricycles-m100-1.2.jpg

Re: Has anyone purchased a E BIKE - 05/07/24 03:03 AM

Thats why my first suggestion was the Lectric XP. Its got the same "running gear" as most of the ones posted and is only $1000. It also folds up (bike in half and bars down)

Re: Has anyone purchased a E BIKE - 05/07/24 03:16 AM

$1899 for this 52 volt battery (they go 36, 48, 52, 72) and 2000 watt motor, full suspension - looks like good value

Re: Has anyone purchased a E BIKE - 05/07/24 03:25 AM

https://youtu.be/P28bEYPPRP8?si=soTxp_1p1QWd106M

Re: Has anyone purchased a E BIKE - 05/07/24 03:49 AM

72 volt USA bike, but $8000

Re: Has anyone purchased a E BIKE - 05/07/24 04:22 AM

Lithium batteries are pretty cost effective these days, you can get a 300AH off amazon that will last 20 years and remember, lithiums can be run down to zero, where lead acids / AGM get damaged going down to just 50%. A single 100AH (very cheap) would likely out perform those used lead acids you're using, and not need to be replaced.

I have 460 Amp Hour in my RV, thing will outlast the water now and the solar keeps it topped off (by noon). Even no solar it's good for 5~ days using everything. 460ah is the equivalent to about 18 car batteries

Thanks, is there a brand name for those battery’s? Are they 48 volt?

Re: Has anyone purchased a E BIKE - 05/07/24 06:11 AM

Thanks, is there a brand name for those battery’s? Are they 48 volt?

Mine is an Epoch for RV's, but here is their golf cart battery line up

https://www.epochbatteries.com/collections/lithium-golf-cart-batteries

Re: Has anyone purchased a E BIKE - 05/07/24 12:15 PM

Record deaths and fires in New York...the cause? E-Bikes

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/e-bikes-caused-record-deaths-fires-last-year-new-york-city

Re: Has anyone purchased a E BIKE - 05/07/24 05:43 PM

Any good quality bike will have Panasonic, LG or Samsung cells (they look like bigger AA's). Its when guys buy replacement batteries or make their own from crap they got off alibaba and wish that causes the most fires.
Posted By: 2boltmain

Re: Has anyone purchased a E BIKE - 05/09/24 09:08 AM

Used Honda Navi.

Re: Has anyone purchased a E BIKE - 05/09/24 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by 2boltmain
Used Honda Navi.

A new Navi is only about $2K
Posted By: 11secdart

Re: Has anyone purchased a E BIKE - 05/09/24 12:28 PM

I had a small quad ( Suzuki 80 ) I used for years until it starting having problems , I had it repaired at a cycle shop sold it and bought a Honda Metropolitan scooter .. its been great I bought it in 2014 have done nothing to it except a new battery a few years ago .. they are popular as several racers at my track have them. I paid around $2200 for mine last I heard they are slightly more now . It stays in the trailer all winter come spring it always fires right up .
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: Has anyone purchased a E BIKE - 05/09/24 01:34 PM

Steal Fergens cart... Heck, find and old riding lawn mower, remove the deck, and drive it around. On second thought, leave the deck, and make money cutting grass in the pits for people...

Who is running the show down there now?

Re: Has anyone purchased a E BIKE - 05/09/24 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by JERICOGTX
Steal Fergens cart... Heck, find and old riding lawn mower, remove the deck, and drive it around. On second thought, leave the deck, and make money cutting grass in the pits for people...

Who is running the show down thee now?

Glenn and Cherrie

They have been instating changes ,

Re: Has anyone purchased a E BIKE - 05/09/24 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by JERICOGTX

Who is running the show down thee now?

Glenn and Cherrie

They have been instating changes ,

I thought Cherrie had been running it for years? The program runs fine, its just that the track needs MAJOR updates.

Re: Has anyone purchased a E BIKE - 05/09/24 03:51 PM

supposed to be redone in couple weeks when it warms up enough for asphalt plant .

she has worked there for some time , but, to me it looks like she now has a vested interest in whats going on

Re: Has anyone purchased a E BIKE - 05/09/24 04:09 PM

Bigdad, I have an old high school buddy that has gotten into E Bike conversions. i can ask him some questions if you want. He told me it's much cheaper to convert a bike, than buying one.
Posted By: RapidusMaximus

Re: Has anyone purchased a E BIKE - 05/11/24 10:24 AM

https://www.academy.com/p/schwinn-healy-ridge-24-in-e-bike
I bought this one, use it every race weekend, no issues so far, does what I need it to. I charge it before race day and it goes all day, if it’s a multi day race I charge it at the end of the day.
Posted By: mr_340

Re: Has anyone purchased a E BIKE - 05/11/24 12:58 PM

haha
Posted By: Moparite

Re: Has anyone purchased a E BIKE - 05/11/24 01:52 PM

E bike is a modern day moped, Any one remember those from back in the day? Couldn't beat the Puch's that looked like motorcycles. And with them you don't have to worry about a e bike battery burning the house down. This one sold for $2500!
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Has anyone purchased a E BIKE - 05/13/24 02:05 AM

Marketplace in Allen SD….. it’d be a TVD dual sport

Attached picture IMG_2154.jpeg

Re: Has anyone purchased a E BIKE - 05/13/24 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by J_BODY
Marketplace in Allen SD….. it’d be a TVD dual sport

Must see !
Posted By: 11secdart

Re: Has anyone purchased a E BIKE - 05/14/24 01:28 AM

I was at a local Ace Hardware today and they had an Eco electric mini bike price was $1995

Re: Has anyone purchased a E BIKE - 05/14/24 02:08 AM

If you just need mobility at the track you can get a cheap electric scooter, wont break your back loading and unloading it and most are dirt cheap

Re: Has anyone purchased a E BIKE - 05/14/24 03:18 PM

Won't break the bank but, probably my neck on that
Posted By: moparx

Re: Has anyone purchased a E BIKE - 05/14/24 04:20 PM

i'm able to hurt myself doing just about anything, so i'm not gonna add scooters and bikes into the mix........... biggrin
beer

Re: Has anyone purchased a E BIKE - 05/14/24 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by moparx
i'm able to hurt myself doing just about anything, so i'm not gonna add scooters and bikes into the mix........... biggrin
beer

Agree, 3 or 4 wheels for me.

Re: Has anyone purchased a E BIKE - 05/14/24 07:34 PM

https://youtu.be/G-8RxoPcNCU?si=YQGuvntdWLZpxYhV
Posted By: moparx

Re: Has anyone purchased a E BIKE - 05/15/24 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by moparx
beer

Agree, 3 or 4 wheels for me.

i even rule those out because then i would want to "have fun" with them, and me thinks that would turn out "not good" for me as well. panic laugh2
beer
Posted By: HoosierTA

Re: Has anyone purchased a E BIKE - 05/22/24 11:13 AM

I bought two for my agency to patrol the park walking trails, and get around at big events such as football games at our Big Ten school.
Retired a couple years ago and can’t think of the brand. They specialize in public safety.

They were dang handy. I don’t recommend for hunting or real hilly wooded terrain.

Bought a Zero motorcycle also. Pretty incredible
© 2024 Moparts Forums