Moparts

Auto Rama J10

Posted By: MarkZ

Auto Rama J10 - 03/04/24 08:21 PM

Did anyone at Auto Rama check out the J10 extended cab prototype? It's got a hell of a history to it.

Attached picture PXL_20240303_170422689.jpg
Attached picture PXL_20240303_170435791.jpg
Posted By: RobG

Re: Auto Rama J10 - 03/04/24 09:01 PM

How did it survive and not get crushed?
Posted By: 67vertman

Re: Auto Rama J10 - 03/04/24 10:27 PM

I posted about it a few moths ago. I think they could have done a better job on the extended cab. But I wouldn't kick it out of the garage for dripping oil.
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Auto Rama J10 - 03/04/24 11:29 PM

Since Dodge coined the term "Club Cab" as the first "extended cab" ever made, and Ford used the term "Super Cab", Chevy used "extended cab", I wonder if Jeep had their own nomenclature? work

Re: Auto Rama J10 - 03/05/24 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by RobG

The owner's grandfather was part of the engineering team that put the concept together. After AMC gave the order to crunch it he hid it in storage on the plant site and the engineers would sometimes take it out for lunch. I forget how he came to own it after retirement, but it was daily driven for years and looked like it. What you see is a complete restoration.

Re: Auto Rama J10 - 03/05/24 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by 67vertman
I posted about it a few moths ago. I think they could have done a better job on the extended cab. But I wouldn't kick it out of the garage for dripping oil.

I overheard the guy the briefly talking about it. They reused factory parts off of other models to make the extended cab portion of the body. The frame itself is just a long bed frame. They used all factory parts to accomplish it to keep costs down. From what I understand the engineers were surprised it wasn't greenlit.
Posted By: RoadRunnerLuva

Re: Auto Rama J10 - 03/05/24 08:17 PM

It's a good looking truck for sure. But the extended cab window
looks peculiar, with it's backwards looking "D" shaped glass.
Still, a nice looking Jeep, that should have been put into production.
Posted By: Ashsdad

Re: Auto Rama J10 - 03/06/24 05:21 PM

I really like it. I read some of the history on the sign next to it before getting shoved away by the crowd. Had I not read about using a Cherokee body I wouldn't have noticed the missing eyebrow over the windshield.
Posted By: RobG

Re: Auto Rama J10 - 03/06/24 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by MarkZ
Originally Posted by RobG

The owner's grandfather was part of the engineering team that put the concept together. After AMC gave the order to crunch it he hid it in storage on the plant site and the engineers would sometimes take it out for lunch. I forget how he came to own it after retirement, but it was daily driven for years and looked like it. What you see is a complete restoration.

I wonder how they "modified the VIN" so that the Secretary of State issued a title. This wasn't a pilot vehicle - so . . . ????
Posted By: 2boltmain

Re: Auto Rama J10 - 03/07/24 10:20 AM

I haven't been to an Autorama in over 25 years. I remember in the mid 90s being disappointed at how much space was occupied by slammed S10s with giant subwoofers and multiple amps. But it was still fun.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Auto Rama J10 - 03/07/24 01:34 PM

I wonder if Jeep had their own nomenclature?

Jeep: We call it a "longer cab"

smile
Posted By: wingman

Re: Auto Rama J10 - 03/07/24 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Stanton

How about calling it a "Jeeeep".

I should have been in marketing...
Posted By: GY3

Re: Auto Rama J10 - 03/07/24 04:12 PM

The rear side glass looks like those dual pop-up aftermarket sunroofs from the '70's.
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: Auto Rama J10 - 03/07/24 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by GY3
The rear side glass looks like those dual pop-up aftermarket sunroofs from the '70's.

Just google 1979 Jeep Cherokee Chief 2 door and you will see where they came from.

Attached picture rare-1979-jeep-cherokee-chief-s-wide-trac-4x4-2-door-rust-free-southern-fsj-10.jpg
Attached picture PXL_20240303_170422689vvv.jpg

Re: Auto Rama J10 - 03/07/24 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by wingman
Originally Posted by Stanton

How about calling it a "Jeeeep".

I should have been in marketing...

haha haha haha
© 2024 Moparts Forums